Database server in different continent?

Hello,

Is it wise to have a web server hosted in Europe, and a database server hosted in North America, with about one page view per second, each page view about 20 queries?

Has anyone tested this?

Thanks

Generally I would not recommend it. Why would you consider it?

Quote Originally Posted by zoid View Post
    Why would you consider it?
    The only thing I can think of would be distributing web servers so that people connect to the closest server and hence have a 'faster' experience.

Problem is, the delayed database connection will probably outweigh that. Especially considering any delay is usually caused by downloading assets (image, css, javascript etc) which can be thrown on a CDN.

Not recommended at all unless you have a very good, perhaps special, reason!

The database server should be in the same local area network/datacenter with the web server.
    Having a database server in different continent would need several seconds for the execution of each query and would consume lots of public bandwidth.
    Not recommended at all.
    NetworkPanda :: Web Hosting SSD Powered :: Reseller Hosting
    Instant activation, fast servers, NVMe SSD disks, cPanel, Softaculous 1-click apps installer, daily backups
    Multiple hosting locations: USA, Canada, France, UK, Germany, Italy, Spain, Poland, Finland

20 queries, per page view? Talk about poor programming. Yikes! I'd say the best solution would be to house your database server within the same network as your web server. This way, regardless of the number of queries that you're running per page view, the speed delivery will be unaffected.

Housing the db server in a different location will cause an additional delay to each query, and running a large number of queries like that, will certainly impact your website speeds.
    ██ Jordan G.
    ██ Mambug Studios
    ██ Hosting, Designing, Scripting
    ██ We specialize in designing, coding, deploying and maintaining businesses online since 2005.

As others have said, the database should be near the web server. The only reason to do so is if it's a real-time replica of an existing database.

There isn't any point. The latency will be very high and you might have connection issues.
    Hyperconnezion - your fast path to success
    IT management, Cloud and Data Center Services in Asia Pacific

calling to oversea server for database query is very poor idea .

you need REPLICATION , looks ion mysql doc . then each server will call to read to nearest database , but update need at single , there is other types of databases where allowed to sync by update on both servers .
    << Please review signature guidelines >>

Quote Originally Posted by Mambug View Post
    20 queries, per page view? Talk about poor programming. Yikes!
    Depends really on his application. It is a lot for a static content site, but a forum will easily go over 20 queries per page on most pages.

Quote Originally Posted by BCata View Post
    Depends really on his application. It is a lot for a static content site, but a forum will easily go over 20 queries per page on most pages.
    As someone who regularly deals with both programming and database administration (and has developed a forum software before), I could easily argue that point.

Then again, I'm very strict on my requirements for data access.
    ██ Jordan G.
    ██ Mambug Studios
    ██ We specialize in designing, coding, deploying and maintaining businesses online since 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by Mambug View Post
    As someone who regularly deals with both programming and database administration (and has developed a forum software before), I could easily argue that point.

Then again, I'm very strict on my requirements for data access.
    Can you please argue it in a PM (so we do not hijack the thread). I am curious how you keep a forum page under 20 queries assuming you have internationalized content, 20 posts per page, stats logging. Take this standard WHT page.

Quote Originally Posted by BCata View Post
    Can you please argue it in a PM (so we do not hijack the thread). I am curious how you keep a forum page under 20 queries assuming you have internationalized content, 20 posts per page, stats logging. Take this standard WHT page.
    Well, I sent ya' a PM.
    ██ Jordan G.
    ██ Mambug Studios