Problems with HostMonster / BlueHost

As mentioned in a previous post, I've been moving my two web sites away from my old web hosting service. In looking for a new service, I quickly found HostMonster and BlueHost, both of which looked as if they would satisfy my needs. In fact, they looked virtually identical, down to having the same text in many of their knowledge base articles -- they just had different plans and prices. When I asked, I learned that they are in fact under the same management.

I started up service with them, and found everything to be satisfactory, until I had gotten all of my site software set up and was ready to redirect my site address to their servers. For obvious reasons, I had waited until that last moment to request an SSL certificate for my site. I was dismayed when they told me I could not get one!

As noted in their materials, a site that needs its own SSL certificate must first have a dedicated IP address, which they advertised for a small additional fee. But when I went to get my SSL certificate from them, they told me that they were out of dedicated IP addresses and could not give me one, which also meant that I could not get an SSL certificate. They offered to put me on a waiting list for dedicated IP addresses. Since SSL is essential to my site purpose, and since I was on the last day of my 30-day trial by this point, I canceled my account and went elsewhere. (Their refund was immediate and hassle-free, by the way.)

There was one other oddity that I noticed while I was with them. They advertise that they provide SSH access (another thing that is critical for me). But I was surprised to find that they only provide *incoming* SSH access. Once logged into their servers, it is impossible to get out via ssh, telnet, ftp, or even ping. This lack was inconvenient but not critical for me, so I didn't worry about it much, but perhaps it's worth mentioning here.

I stress that this issue of dedicated IP addresses was my only issue with them. Their service was excellent otherwise, and were it not for that problem I would certainly have remained.

Well the IP address space is sometimes limited but so long as you got your money back and there's no other complaints ... I think that they did indeed provide you with a good service?
    Last edited by maiahost; 08-07-2006 at 04:58 PM.
    Cheap web hosting
    Any CMS pre-installed
    Joomla Hosting

You're correct that the IP address space is limited. But, a high volume web hosting business probably knows its consumption rate of addresses fairly accurately, and could be proactive about making sure that there were enough available to meet predictable need. That would be superb service.

As it is, their service was very good in every other way. So I would certainly recommend them to others, as long as they don't need a dedicated IP.

Well as long as you got your money back, your experience didn't turn out bad with them. Better luck finding a new web host, it might a good idea to contact them prior to signing up and check to see if they will be able to get you setup with a dedicated IP or not.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveRoth
    Their refund was immediate and hassle-free, by the way.
    Now that's something that's less common nowadays with web hosts. Consider yourself lucky
    ‹‹SHAW NETWORKS›› Simple. Professional. Reliable. Web Hosting Done Right.
    Low Cost & Award-Winning: cPanel Reseller Plans ›› 24/7/365 Live Technical Support ‹‹
    Website: www.shawnetworks.com Fast Response E-mail: sales @ shawnetworks.com
    Sick of downtime? Fed up with excuses? Drop your host! Switch to Shaw Networks.

Well as long as you got your money back, your experience didn't turn out bad with them.
    Not entirely... his time must be worth something after all, so there was a downside.

That being said, it certainly is great to find a provider that refunds so promptly.
    Last edited by ldcdc; 08-08-2006 at 12:08 AM.

I agree that blue host is good but if your going by refund along I know many others that I have used that give refunds promptly.
    when I had dot5 they did, same with servage and 1and1.