Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Backup of Mysql database using PhpMyAdmin

Backup of Mysql database
    It is assumed that you have phpMyAdmin installed since a lot of web service providers use it.

0. Open phpMyAdmin.
    1. Click Export in the Menu to get to where you can backup you MySql database. Image showing the export menu.
    2. Make sure that you have selected to export your entire database, and not just one table. There should be as many tables in the export list as showing under the database name.
    3. Select"SQL"-> for output format, Check "Structure" and "Add AUTO_INCREMENT" value. Check "Enclose table and field name with backquotes". Check "DATA", check use "hexadecimal for binary field". Export type set to "INSERT".
    4. Check "Save as file", do not change the file name, use compression if you want. Then click "GO" to download the backup file.

Restoring a backup of a MySql database
    1. To restore a database, you click the SQL tab.
    2. On the "SQL"-page , unclick the show query here again.
    3. Browse to your backup of the database.
    4. Click Go.

Hi,

Is there any way to backup using SHELL command?

Yes,

Backup without phpMyAdmin :

phpMyAdmin has some file size limits so if you have large databases it may not be possible

to backup using phpMyAdmin. Then you have to use the command line tools that comes with

Mysql. Please note that this method is untested.

Mysql backup without phpMyAdmin
    PHPMyAdmin can't handle large databases. In that case straight mysql code will help.

1. Change your directory to the directory you want to dump things to:

user@linux:~> cd files/blog
    2. Use mysqldump (man mysqldump is available):

user@linux:~/files/blog> mysqldump --add-drop-table -h mysqlhostserver
    -u mysqlusername -p databasename (tablename tablename tablename) | bzip2
    -c > blog.bak.sql.bz2

Enter password: (enter your mysql password)
    user@linux~/files/blog>
    Example:
    mysqldump --add-drop-table -h db01.example.net -u dbocodex -p dbwp | bzip2 -c >

blog.bak.sql.bz2

Enter password: my-password
    user@linux~/files/blog>

The bzip2 -c after the pipe | means the backup is compressed on the fly.

Oh....!

I just forgot to post to restore MySql database using shell command:

Mysql restore without phpMyAdmin

The restore process consists of unarchiving your archived database dump, and importing it

into your Mysql database.

Assuming your backup is a .bz2 file, creating using instructions similar to those given for

Backing up your database using Mysql commands, the following steps will guide you through

restoring your database :

1. Unzip your .bz2 file:

user@linux:~/files/blog> bzip2 -d blog.bak.sql.bz2
    Note: If your database backup was a .tar.gz called blog.bak.sql.tar.gz file, then,

tar zxvf blog.bak.sql.tar.gz
    is the command that should be used instead of the above.
    2. Put the backed-up sql back into mysql:

user@linux:~/files/blog> mysql -h mysqlhostserver -u mysqlusername
    -p databasename < blog.bak.sql

Thanks for this great article

Seems useful!

why dont you just simply backup your /var/lib/mysql directory and be done with it?

Quick tip for larger databases (10 MB+) -- if you have problem to download it try firefox. IE sometimes doesn't download properly.

I was looking for an automated way to do this for multiple databases, and I stumbled upon this tool which I highly recommend:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/automysqlbackup/

Yeah this is useufl, Im going to run through it now.

Thanks

Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by agweb
    why dont you just simply backup your /var/lib/mysql directory and be done with it?
    yes, this is very simple way for server administrator. what if client do not have access to the location : /var/lib/mysql/database?

Thumbs up

I found a very easy way to do the backup with large databases: BigDump.php (google, you'll find the download links)

BigDump is a PHP file that you upload to your server with your database information. You then upload SQL files to the same directory, select the file in BigDump and then click "Import." What it does is go through the large file only processing X amount of lines at a time, then waiting Y amount of milliseconds and then processing X amount of lines, etc. My database is about 1gig thanks to my vbulletin attachments table, and I was able to successfully import my database to a new server using BigDump. It was really REALLY easy and I'm thankful that I found this file.

Nice Artilce! Will help out a lot of people.

Very good post..thanks a lot

Buzz

Very useful information as we cannot afford to lose any database data that was expensive and time consuming to collect in the first place.
    Many thanks,
    John

its nice to see people offer their knowledge free of charge. The world would be a much better place if their were more people like you guys...
    Respectfully,
    Mr. Terrence

BigDump, going to try it also

For simple backups without PHPMyAdmin, I have written a short shell script that creates backups including files and MySQL database. It creates a TAR/GZIP archive and sends it by e-mail (to myself of course). For more detail and script source code, please have a look at http://www.kyusl.com/scr.php?mod=01

because mysql databases are not stored in text or binary files. would be nice if u could do it that easily.

Quote Originally Posted by agweb View Post

Quote Originally Posted by bubazoo View Post
    because mysql databases are not stored in text or binary files. would be nice if u could do it that easily.
    Indeed they are. And there are standard tools to make a backup of MySQL by archiving files directly (and therefore faster). Have a look at:

http://www.linux.com/feature/62177

I think that MySQL documentation describes some "official" ways (without 3rd party tools) too.

Is it possible to sechdule backups??

Quote Originally Posted by asfahaan View Post
    Is it possible to sechdule backups??
    cron (on UNIX and likes) allows you to schedule just anything that can run without human interaction. I am not sure if PHPMyAdmin allows that, that's because I have written my own script (see link above) and scheduled it in cron.

thanx for sharing

----------------

Thanks for sharing

I like Sypex Dumper Lite sypex.net/products/dumper/

<<signatures to be set up in your profile>>
    Last edited by bear; 05-11-2009 at 07:40 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast