Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I spent today doing research to find my next domain name registrar. My criteria would be of interest especially to Canadians who like me already operate under Canadian law and often want .ca names, hence my insistence on CIRA accreditation as well as ICANN accreditation.

- must have both CIRA and ICANN accreditation.
    - must not have been sold since last earning accreditation, so didn't just get their accreditation by purchase (a serious and huge loophole)
    - must be entirely Canadian
    - can't just be a wholeseller with unaccredited retailers.

That narrowed it down to just 2 companies:

easydns technologies $19
    sibername internet and software technolgies inc $12.95

I'm probably going with sibername but their sales quit early thisaft so I'll do it on Monday.

Webnames.ca is worthy of note though, I spoke with "Vlad" there and asked why they didn't have ICANN2009 accreditation yet (they have the older ICANN accreditation) and they'll get back to me about that and think it is an oversight (they're small). They do have CIRA accreditation which is generally a higher bar but not always. Vlad was very interested in my research.

Quote Originally Posted by WireNine View Post
    EIG has been acquiring all the big names in the hosting industry, I wonder who's next.
    What about EIG being acquired by a company with the proper interest in a BIG hosting entity? Just think about this scenario under the proper management, vision, and financial backing, a new and improved EIG could be very dangerous as a competitor in the hosting industry.

I am roughly guesstimating EIG hosted domains to be now around 4 to 5 million? What would your guesstimate be for total domains now hosted by EIG?

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyPenguin View Post
    What about EIG being acquired by a company with the proper interest in a BIG hosting entity? Just think about this scenario under the proper management, vision, and financial backing, a new and improved EIG could be very dangerous as a competitor in the hosting industry.

I am roughly guesstimating EIG hosted domains to be now around 4 to 5 million? What would your guesstimate be for total domains now hosted by EIG?
    That number is a little too low, Hostgator alone hosts somewhere between 4 to 5 million domains. EIG must be a lot higher since it combines a lot of big web hosts in the industry that are now under them.

not sure about domain names...but as far as clients...they are right about 2 million right now...just under that numbers...got to be a TON of domains

Quote Originally Posted by SimplyPhx View Post
    not sure about domain names...but as far as clients...they are right about 2 million right now...just under that numbers...got to be a TON of domains
    Meaning EIG including Bluehost/Hostmonster & the Justhost companies as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Leif Harmsen View Post
    I spent today doing research to find my next domain name registrar. My criteria would be of interest especially to Canadians who like me already operate under Canadian law and often want .ca names, hence my insistence on CIRA accreditation as well as ICANN accreditation.

- must have both CIRA and ICANN accreditation.
    - must not have been sold since last earning accreditation, so didn't just get their accreditation by purchase (a serious and huge loophole)
    - must be entirely Canadian
    - can't just be a wholeseller with unaccredited retailers.

That narrowed it down to just 2 companies: easydns technologies $19
    Leif, out of curiosity, how come OpenSRS didn't make your list?
    Ben Lucier, Community Guy for Tucows & OpenSRS
    OpenSRS: Reseller friendly domains, e-mail and SSL certificates
    My Blog | Twitter

This is a very different communications strategy for The Endurance International Group (EIG), which has normally swooped in and acquired Web hosting companies by stealth and migrating (usually badly) customers to their platforms overnight. Here, you have one of their VPs, Gary Engel, announcing the acquisition on EIG's corporate website (something they never do because they prefer to keep their brands totally autonomous looking - which is a tad ironic since they use the same network & back-end infrastructure) and they also launched a Netfirms transition website and blog.

However, contrast this to the rumoured acquisitions of Bluehost/FastDomain/Hostmonster and JustHost, which were never announced publicly and have yet to be migrated to the EIG platform (does anyone know when this will occur?). I did manage to get confirmation from a BlueHost customer service rep who confirmed that acquisition. However, when I contacted JustHost, they referred me to a senior technical support administrator who ignored my query. However, it does appear to be confirmed as the domain was migrated to EIG's eNom-based reseller account.

Anyone have confirmation of all the acquisitions EIG made in 2010 and 2011?

Cheers,
    Doug

Footnote: I had my own run-in with EIG during my first and only foray with purchasing shared web hosting when I had a PoWWeb account about seven years ago. My own transition went relatively smoothly but my site did experience some modest downtime and I think they compensated me with six months free hosting or something. I ended up cancelling and was surprised they refunded my credit card very quickly for prepaid, unused months of hosting, which I didn't expect. Is that commonplace in the web hosting industry? Do most companies generally provided refunds for unused months when you pre-pay for several months?

P.P.S. I see Canada's other major Web hosting company, publicly-traded iWeb Group, has received a $50 million buyout offer from an unnamed private equity firm. Anyone think it could be EIG or its owner, Accel-KKR?

The iWeb buyout thread you mentioned doesn't speculate on possible buyers other than to mention a Quebec-based investment fund. Does that mean a Quebec government pension plan administrator, perhaps the Caisse de depot?

As for the Bluehost buyout, I've seen that thread but was looking for more concrete answers.

Look forward to more responses!

Cheers,
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Leif Harmsen View Post

I'm probably going with sibername but their sales quit early thisaft so I'll do it on Monday.
    Leif ;

Thanks for your consideration. Our sales is open 9:00 to 6:00 with a lunch break at 1:00 - 2:00 PM. Also online Live Chat could help from 7:00 AM till 12:00 PM;

For the main subject: Netfirms has proven to my self that selling domain names at a loss is not a good idea;
    MBT
    SiberName.com is an ICANN/CIRA/Eurid Accredited Registrar. since 2000.

Canadian Registrar for .CA Domain Names Registrations. Canadian Web Site Hosting Service Provider.

Quote Originally Posted by ben_lucier View Post
    Leif, out of curiosity, how come OpenSRS didn't make your list?
    OpenSRS is a reseller branch of Tucows.com. They do not sell to the registrants directly;
    MBT
    SiberName.com is an ICANN/CIRA/Eurid Accredited Registrar. since 2000.

Canadian Registrar for .CA Domain Names Registrations. Canadian Web Site Hosting Service Provider.

Man, now I gotta find another domain registrar to move all my domain names... as I even just moved about 20 of my client's domains from PowWeb (which is owned by EIG and its domain registrations were handled through that god awful Tucows/OpenSRS combination).

Who else is out there on the market offering free domain privacy like Netfirms did... as this $8-9/year extra for privacy to be enabled on a domain name is just ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by MetroSolutions View Post
    Man, now I gotta find another domain registrar to move all my domain names... as I even just moved about 20 of my client's domains from PowWeb (which is owned by EIG and its domain registrations were handled through that god awful Tucows/OpenSRS combination).

Who else is out there on the market offering free domain privacy like Netfirms did... as this $8-9/year extra for privacy to be enabled on a domain name is just ridiculous.
    Whats wrong with OpenSRS?
    Looking for an awesome VPS Offer? CLICK HERE

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do." – Bruce Lee

OpenSRS is hands down the best domain company I've ever worked with.

I suppose all of their exiting clients do know about that. I have seen several earlier threads here about that.

I can officially say that I am happy that I no longer have anything personally with NetFirms.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

Was actually testing a Netfirms account, domain loading time, it was remarkably slow I really couldn't believe how battered there systems really are -- quite a shame.
    l Dedigeeks Shared Wordpress Dedicated Established 2006
    l Leading AUSTRALIAN Hosting Provider Sydney & Melbourne Datacentres
    l cPanel/WHM R1Soft Backups 24/7/365 Support SMS Hosting Alerts*
    l www.dedigeeks.com Managing Director Service Superstars

Has EIG laid off all the Netfirms people up in Canada yet? They are notorious for stringing along acquired employees to get through the web hosting data migration and then everyone is fired.

Quote Originally Posted by celona View Post
    They have a pretty big office here in Canada
    Affordable, Hassle-Free Web Hosting - Rated Top Web Host of the year! All packages include Free Professional Website Builder!
    On Sale Now!
    Top Rated Web Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by biggunn View Post
    Has EIG laid off all the Netfirms people up in Canada yet? They are notorious for stringing along acquired employees to get through the web hosting data migration and then everyone is fired.
    I think your source of information is quite wrong. When they acquired IPowerweb, they didn't fire everyone after the migration. IPower has a good-sized building here in Phoenix still.

In every merger, there will be layoffs, as there's no need for 2 HR departments, etc... But the majority of jobs stay.

As long as they keep offering $4.95 domains, they can do whatever they want.

Dave

Netfirms are losing their ICANN accreditation aren't they?
    Darren Lingham - Stablepoint Hosting
    Stablepoint - Cloud Web Hosting without compromise
    We provide industry-leading cPanel™ web hosting in 80+ global cities.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    I can officially say that I am happy that I no longer have anything personally with NetFirms.
    The first domain name I ever registered was with Netfirms.

It used to be an awesome site -- endlessly looped javascript popups that told a story!
    Matthew Rosenblatt, and I do lots of things.
    Used to be a full time server administrator, now I help build cruise ships and inspect homes.
    My company, Ferrell Solutions, specializes in home inspections and property management.
    RecallScan is a service for monitoring appliances and vehicles in your home for recalls.

Netfirms.com has turned sour (as if they weren't already).
    New ownership has collected previous customers' information
    and is charging their financial accounts. On top of it, they
    are denying the responsibility by blaming the previous owners.
    If you had previous hosting services with them, check your
    bank account or credit card account, etc. for charges
    equivalent to what your previous charges were. This is a
    corporate tactic that is quite old and Netfirms has seemingly
    decided to put it to work for fraudulent profits. Search
    Ripoffreport.com and Complaintsboard.com and you'll see.
    These corporations will stoop to anything, it seems.

You are the one with the poor source of information (or more likely assumptions) Ipowerweb was a merger rather than an acquisition. They still had half of their jobs outsourced to overseas. Netfirms was a buyout in which all data and customers were migrated to the endurance infrastructure. I highly doubt there are very many Netfirms employees, if any, left at this point...

Quote Originally Posted by nerdie View Post
    I think your source of information is quite wrong. When they acquired IPowerweb, they didn't fire everyone after the migration. IPower has a good-sized building here in Phoenix still.

In every merger, there will be layoffs, as there's no need for 2 HR departments, etc... But the majority of jobs stay.
    Affordable, Hassle-Free Web Hosting - Rated Top Web Host of the year! All packages include Free Professional Website Builder!
    On Sale Now!
    Top Rated Web Hosting

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12