nameserver format

Hi,

a real N00b questions here, hope you can help.

I have a domain registered.

I have set up a small VPS to do my hosting elsewhere. On this VPS I ahve set up a client in LXadmin to host the domain.

Now with my domain registrar, I need to change the name server 1 & 2.

What exactly do I put in there?

Is it the IP of the DNS of the VPS 38.105.81.xxx or is it ns1.38.105.81.xxx.

Is it the name of the VPS needawash.com / ns1 needawash.com

Is it the host of the VPS betterhost.ca / ns1 betterhost.ca

Sorry for the really dumb question but I just need to know so I can get the propagation going and I do not know what to entere for the NS and what format it should be.

thanks in advance

Ko

You have to make sure you actually run a nameserver on your VPS, and that your zone is added.
    You also need to register your nameservers with the registry (your registrar)

If you don't run your own nameserver, then you can use www.afraid.org for free DNS, and you would add the domain and put ns1.afraid.org and ns2.afraid.org into the registrar.

Lastly if this betterhost.ca is hosting your DNS the best course of action is to ask them what their nameservers are.

Reason I'm making this a tad complicated is because at least I feel you didn't post enough information about your exact setup.

Hello Sir,

If you have any question, you can always contact our support team by phone, email or live Chat

Nameservers:
    ns1.needawash.com IP: The Main IP in your welcome email (ex: 38.105.81.98)
    ns2.needawash.com IP: The second IP in your welcome email (ex: 38.105.81.99)

If you don't know how to proceed, please send me a email (sales@betterhost.ca) with your domain name registrar account details and i will setup that for you.

Thank You,

Thanks coax & Nicholas,

as Nicholas specified these above NS IPs have been assigned.

I really just did not know what to enter in the registrars field for the NS1/2.

Nicholas is helping me with this now, so thanks Coax.

Once again thanks Nicholas and betterhost.ca for all the really prompt help and service since I purchased my plan with you, well chuffed with your company.

Ko

Quote Originally Posted by kokop View Post
    Once again thanks Nicholas and betterhost.ca for all the really prompt help and service since I purchased my plan with you, well chuffed with your company.

Ko
    No problem, Sir. We are there to help you and I am happy that this problem is resolved.

Thank You,