Kimsufi- opinions?

Hi,

We're thinking of trying out Kimsufi as a relatively cheap dedi provider for backup purposes.

We'd be looking at ordering the 2G.

Does anyone have any experience of using them? It's only to backup files, so CPU and RAM don't matter that much, but 1TB of storage for the price seems too good to be true.

Opinions/experiences welcome.

For the price they're fast and reliable. A single drive is always a risk for backups, but by no means is it a bad choice for the cost. My experience so far has been great drives with more than acceptable I/O.
    Ain't here to spam my signature, I'm not desperate for sales.

Quite right- it's worth noting we plan to use this for our lowest-risk backups, which are essentially backups of our backups. We won't be storing anything there that we couldn't cope with losing, but it's be useful to have another online file store in case it's needed.

Hello,
    I am using one of their Atom boxes for backup purposes, It works well. I was impressed to find a 7200 RPM Disk inside.
    Keith I Myers
    KMyers.me The rantings of a lunatic
    Join me on Technical.chat

We currently use the 2G as a small solution to our backups also - Each one comes with a 100gb backup ftp account so you could also do a backup of a backup of a backup

U will have to provide ID... just a note

Quote Originally Posted by CokeSir View Post
    U will have to provide ID... just a note
    Not true in all cases. I'm in the UK (like the OP) and I've never had to give OVH/Kimsufi ID.

@OP - They're great boxes for backups etc. We're running several of them, and running monitoring scripts and some "light" sites on them too. Can't beat them for the price

From personal experience, I have found they are great little machines, however they are only on 100mbit connections, so when moving large amounts of data or even doing daily rsyncs with updated data, they can take a while to complete.

Planning on purchasing one for backups. Will let update you guys on how it is!

Quote Originally Posted by F-DNS View Post
    Not true in all cases. I'm in the UK (like the OP) and I've never had to give OVH/Kimsufi ID.

@OP - They're great boxes for backups etc. We're running several of them, and running monitoring scripts and some "light" sites on them too. Can't beat them for the price
    I´m qutie sure its all un-supported countries that need to provide a ID, or all other contries than UK, not sure though, i just asked them and if you live in denmark you need to provide them with passport/pictured ID.

Fortunately we're UK based, but ID wouldn't be a problem in any case. Thanks for all the info folks, we'll be making an informed decision in the next few days

I've got 27 ks2g's. All of which are running beautifully for their price, specs and bandwidth allocation.

Yeah, definitely good.

I ended up getting a brand new drive, with only a couple of hours on it and it pushes 189 MB/s.

Quote Originally Posted by NateN34 View Post
    Yeah, definitely good.

I ended up getting a brand new drive, with only a couple of hours on it and it pushes 189 MB/s.
    Are you sure? That's a hell of a speed for a normal sata hdd.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom, View Post
    Are you sure? That's a hell of a speed for a normal sata hdd.
    Code:
    root@ash:~# dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 5.90666 s, 182 MB/s
    root@ash:~# dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 5.78292 s, 186 MB/s
    root@ash:~#
    This is with no load on the server, but it is those new hard drives that consist of just a single 1 TB platter.

This one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822148840
    Last edited by NateN34; 05-09-2012 at 02:03 PM.

Ordered one.

Quote Originally Posted by jcsrv View Post
    Ordered one.
    Great, let us know what you think of it. I have one of the 2G machines myself for a file server and it's performed just fine for what I need it to do. Can't say I've received the 180MB+/s speeds on the disk as mentioned by others in the thread but that's not really an issue to me!
    NetHosted Ltd. - UK Based Web Hosting
    Like us on Facebook!

Server was provisioned in under two hours from purchase. Had a call to verify identity.

Very pleased with server and transfer speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by jcsrv View Post
    Server was provisioned in under two hours from purchase. Had a call to verify identity.

Very pleased with server and transfer speeds.

hello, they will call the account holder to verify? oh no i would have to pay the call fees if they called me and verify?

Quote Originally Posted by CokeSir View Post
    hello, they will call the account holder to verify? oh no i would have to pay the call fees if they called me and verify?

No, you wont have to pay call fees- they call you.

Phoning, or some other type of security verification, is a good practice when it comes to high value items like dedicated servers.

We are using them from few months now , Servers are great and so is the network.
    Do not expect any support on any issue from them , they just do,nt provide it.
    Other than that everything is fine.

Regards.

Personally i run atom server from kimsufi..the performance quite good..

hope you can consider their support service because recently, their support quite fast responce than before..

E5 V4 10Gbit SSD VPS Coming Soon in Dallas,TX - Enterprise VPS at fraction of cost! .
    Since 2011 - INOTECH LLC

i just got a KS2G for backup purposes. It took about 2 days to get access to the server after sending in id/address proof (i live in usa).

I was going to use this as a seedbox for private trackers for my personal torrent stuff, but now that they have all my drivers license, address, and credit card info, I probably won't. Don't know what other's experience are with seedboxing on ovh.