Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Powweb---14 Months Free!

Hey, I was jsut checking out who hosts some of my favourite sites wehen i stumbled accross http://www.powweb.com

So they say

Disk Space (Raid Storage) 2 Gigs
    Data Transfer/Bandwidth 5 Gigs/Day!

Does that mean that you get 35gb a week? so in feb youd get140gb transfer?

Also, if you sign up for 2 years, you get 14 months free hosting...

So

1) good deal?

2) has anyone had good/bad experiences with them?

Well they have been fairly stable the past 6 months but right now I cannot get to them or any of my four powweb hosted sites at all. I even VNC'd into my office 30 miles away and cannot connect there either. Maybe it's not their fault this time but I'm pissed because I have a bunch of things I need to do.

One other thing is that their uptime guarantee is misleading. It doesn't mean that their any of their servers will be up. It only means that their router will have a live connection. Every server that they have could be down but as long as you can ping the router they consider themselves "up".

Enjoy!

Number one, did you notice that with 14 months free you must sign up for two years first?

According to what is says, you'll get 5 Gigs/day - whether or not you can use all of that remains to be seen. Odds are with the average website you'll not need anywhere near that.

As for user experiences, try the search feature. It should return some client experiences I believe.

Check the fine print as well.

I have to say, I have not seen offers before that give the allotted bandwidth amount per day. Usually, the hosting company will list the amount of bandwidth you have per month. Unfortunately, I have not had any experience with this company, so I cannot address the question about their reliability.
    Ceridius Networks Sales
    Email/MSN sales@ceridius.com
    Ceridius Networks - Reseller of Hivelocity Hosting
    Network Speed Test

Originally posted by CrazyTech
    Number one, did you notice that with 14 months free you must sign up for two years first?

According to what is says, you'll get 5 Gigs/day - whether or not you can use all of that remains to be seen. Odds are with the average website you'll not need anywhere near that.

As for user experiences, try the search feature. It should return some client experiences I believe.

Check the fine print as well.
    Yes I did... And thats 38 months hosting with 2 years domain for only $186.48.

And the Ida of bandwidth per day is pretty goof i think. Then if you have a large file up and you hit you quota that day your site will be up again within 24 hours, instead of 28 days.

I havn't read the smallprint yet though as its 4am, so non of it will make sence to me at this time.

Yes I did... And thats 38 months hosting with 2 years domain for only $186.48.
    Good, just wanted to point that out to make sure. However, keep in mind that once you pay and if you become unsatisfied, you're locked into that account and you've lost $187. The reason you need to read the fineprint (while awake ) is that it could mean trouble for you if things go down and so forth - like the user above pointed out.

And the Ida of bandwidth per day is pretty goof i think. Then if you have a large file up and you hit you quota that day your site will be up again within 24 hours, instead of 28 days.
    It's nice on the surface, but it's a marketing gimmick.

1) A handful of websites might actually use this much. Odds are the average account won't use anywhere near that amount. It's built on overselling - not necessarily a bad thing but it's part of the gimmick.

2) A site that uses 5 GB of transfer a day probably won't be on that server too long. In fact, I truly doubt you could use half the amount and not be kicked off.

It's your call of course, but there are things to consider.

Yeh, Ill read through the ToC tomorrow after taking a few propluss cafine tabs and mull them over.

However, if they say you can use 5gb within a day, and u use the 5gb surly they cant kick you off without a refund?

Can anyone who is East of the Mississippi reach powweb right now?

Well im 3000miles plus east of it, and I can reach it.

Bandwidth Usage: PowWeb offers 5 GB of data transfer within a 24 hour period. Sites that use over 4 GB within a 24 hour period will receive an email notification. If the site consumes over 5 GB within 24 hours, HTTP service will automatically be disabled and another email notification will be sent to the customer. Customer must follow the instruction in the email to have their HTTP re-enabled. Sites that comsumes over our daily limit more than 3 times within a 30 day period will be disabled and client must order an additional package or look into a dedicated hosting service.

Excessive Resource User Policy: Resources are defined as bandwidth and/or processor utilization. A website is considered to be using "Excessive amounts of resources" when it monopolizes the resources available by using 10% or more of system resources for longer than 60 seconds. There are numerous activities that could cause such problems; these include: CGI scripts, PHP, FTP, HTTP, etc. This policy is only implemented in extreme circumstances and is intended to prevent the misuse of our servers. We reserve the rights to suspend or terminate any hosting account that we feel is jeopardizing our network. PowWeb will be the sole and final arbiter as to what constitutes a violation of this policy.

Cancellation: You may cancel at anytime. If you cancel before the first 30 days, please refer to the details under "Limited 30-day Money Back Guarantee." If you cancel after the first 30 days from the opening of your account, you will be obligated to pay all fees and charges accrued prior to the effectiveness of the cancellation. PowWeb will refund to you the prepaid fees for basic hosting for the full months remaining after effectiveness of cancellation, less any prior fees and charges, and an early cancellation fee of $25. Accounts that are terminated by PowWeb will not receive any refund. All cancellations must be received in writing as per the deadlines indicated; regular mail, e-mail and fax notifications are acceptable. Phone requests will not constitute acceptance of any cancellation. Cancellation request will reflect the day of your submission. Refunds will be issued back to your creditcard within 7-10 business days from your cancellation date.
    Just a couple things there, but you can see where I am going. While they have a decent setup with refunds...you have to look at the charges. Odds are, even after the first month you'll lose at least $32.77 if not more depending upon those other charges.

Sounds a little too ridiculously good to be true. If it is true, it sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. They are probably issuing the large bandwidth allotments because they are probably utilizing bandwidth sharing.

Many hosts do this to entice the buyer into thinking they are getting 140GB of transfer. The companies hope is that you will not use nearly this much. The hosting company themselves only have a certain amount of bandwidth.

So, lets say the company has 1000 GB of transfer per month, they open 10 accounts and offer them 140 GB of bandwidth per month (hoping the only use 1-5 GB). Now, all 10 customers max out their bandwidth at 140 GB that month, that means the total bandwidth use for the month is 1400 GB. Leaving a 400 GB deficiet. Now, the server is not accessable due to lack of bandwidth.

At least, this would br my assumption on the matter.

It's much easier to charge for overages this way too. Spikes are seen on daily plots anyway, so each day you catch an overage, your site could be billed. Instead of each month.
    CybexHost.com - Shared and Reseller Hosting Solutions on cPanel/WHM Linux Servers
    ModernTweak.com - Discount ModernBill Licenses, Hosted Installations, and Professional Services
    :: Pay for your discount ModernBill license with PayPal
    :: admin[at]cybexhost.com :: AIM: CybexH

What's the old saying?

"If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is."

Also, "Buyer beware"

Re: Powweb---14 Months Free!

Originally posted by Skot
    Here are 2 very easy questions Skot:
    1.Do you require anywhere close to 2 GB of storage? That's a BIG web site!
    2. Do you transfer anywhere near 5 GB every day? That's a lot of traffic!

If the answer to both those questions is not yes then why does it matter? Why are you even LOOKING at this plan?
    Why aren't you looking for a good, dependable host who is reasonably priced, has good support, and choose plan that has resources just above what YOU really use (to allow some growing room)?
    You will be far more likely to get a host who is not overselling in one way or another, not overcrowding servers, and most of all somebody ethical enough to be straightforward and who is not using "gimmicks" to sell you while keeping the devils in the details tucked away in their TOS?
    New Idea Hosting NO Overselling-Business-Grade, Shared Only! New-In House Design Team.
    High Speed & Uptime; , DIY Pro-Site Builder-Daily Backups-Custom Plans, All Dual Xeon Quad Intel servers w/ ECC DDR3 RAM SCSI RAID minimums.
    We Concentrate on Shared Hosting ...doing one thing and doing it VERY well

I also heard that there is a file size limt, so if a file is more than lets say 2mb it cannot be hosted. I may be wrong but thats what i heard.

there offer if very good and sound very good to be true.

Re: Powweb---14 Months Free!

Originally posted by Skot
    Hey, I was jsut checking out who hosts some of my favourite sites wehen i stumbled accross PowWeb (I had to take the URL out since I don't have 5 posts)

So they say

Does that mean that you get 35gb a week? so in feb youd get140gb transfer?

Also, if you sign up for 2 years, you get 14 months free hosting...

So

1) good deal?

2) has anyone had good/bad experiences with them?
    1. I think so... I have two packages there now.
    2. I feel my experience with them has been good. Sure they have hiccups, but I would imagine all hosts do too.

You also get a free domain name. The 5G per day is just that 5G per day. It does not roll forward (if you use 3G today, you don't get 7G tomorrow)

by mankie
    I also heard that there is a file size limt, so if a file is more than lets say 2mb it cannot be hosted. I may be wrong but thats what i heard.
    I'm not sure what you mean by this. I just FTP'd a 65MB file up to my site. Using php, the default php.ini file has a 2M file upload limit, but you can have your own php.ini file and change it to whatever size you want.

originally by CybexHost
    It's much easier to charge for overages this way too. Spikes are seen on daily plots anyway, so each day you catch an overage, your site could be billed. Instead of each month.
    There is no charge for overage, as you can't go over without having your HTTP shutdown. You get an email at 4G and shutdown at 5G.

originally by CrazyTech
    Just a couple things there, but you can see where I am going. While they have a decent setup with refunds...you have to look at the charges. Odds are, even after the first month you'll lose at least $32.77 if not more depending upon those other charges.
    Actually I think it would be more than that (if you quit after the 30-day period). For this example, let's say you quit on day 31:

1 month of hosting used: $7.77
    Free Domain name: $15.00 (but it's yours to keep)
    Cancellation Fee: $25.00
    Total: $47.77

They have a very active user helping user forum. If you lurk in the forums you could probably get a better handle on what others are seeing as problems. I would offer though that many people who do not have problems may never go to the forum. I havn't made 5 posts yet, so I can't post the url, but it would be forum dot powweb dot com

I would say that 99% of any problems that I've experienced were totally self-inflicted I'm not connected to PowWeb, I just another customer.

symo

Re: Re: Powweb---14 Months Free!

I'm one of early members on their mboard, shortly before I found WHT although I rarely visit there nowadays. I do have experience with their refund policy since I used it when I moved my site to another server due to the mySQL limits at the time causing my mboard to go down now and then. The refund was pretty painless and quick compared to another host (A-Plus) that I fired. The other host was like pulling teeth to get a refund.

They have a very active user helping user forum. If you lurk in the forums you could probably get a better handle on what others are seeing as problems. I would offer though that many people who do not have problems may never go to the forum. I havn't made 5 posts yet, so I can't post the url, but it would be forum dot powweb dot com
    73's, Kim
    Everything happens for a reason I make up.

Question

it seems too good to be true.There should be some catch in this offer na...?

Re: Re: Re: Powweb---14 Months Free!

Originally posted by KimmiKat
    I'm one of early members on their mboard, shortly before I found WHT although I rarely visit there nowadays. I do have experience with their refund policy since I used it when I moved my site to another server due to the mySQL limits at the time causing my mboard to go down now and then. The refund was pretty painless and quick compared to another host (A-Plus) that I fired. The other host was like pulling teeth to get a refund.
    I too have been on their community forum for quite sometime (1K+ posts)....

From my experience they are a decent host for someone who's looking to put up a simple site - plain HTML sites and simple PHP sites will probably be fine with Powweb.

The problems with Powweb comes in customer support and customer communication and lack of reliability. They have a habbit of making changes to their hosting without any prior warning or testing. For example - as Kimmi stated, they put caps on the total number of mySQL queries without prior notice. This cap on queries, as you could imagine, caused significant problems for many sites hosted there. What was the response? Take a hike. More recently, they disabled all PHPBB's across their network as their response to dealing with some holes in PHPBB. No notice was given prior to the shutdown.

http://forum.powweb.com/showthread.php?t=44645

Reliability is also an issue - Cron job reliability has been a recent issue, and problems with Sendmail have also created headaches for some.

Suppor there can be hit or miss - I've had quick replies, and I've also had tickets that went for 54+ hours. You can monitor their server status from this page:

http://www.tbonekkt.com/?pg=status

Again, they're not a bad host if you are doing something simple, at least that's my experience.

well this is a great deal for those of you who dont mind shopping at the walmart of webhosting.

:rollseyes:
    if you haven't considered chapter 7 bankruptcy, maybe you should.
    eliminate your debt, keep the property you want, most people qualify.
    contrary to popular belief - no attorney is necessary!

Re: Re: Powweb---14 Months Free!

Originally posted by symo
    1. I think so... I have two packages there now.
    2. I feel my experience with them has been good. Sure they have hiccups, but I would imagine all hosts do too......

I would say that 99% of any problems that I've experienced were totally self-inflicted I'm not connected to PowWeb, I just another customer.

symo
    Very encouraging opinion... thank you...

Been hosting a site there for 2 1/2 months without any problems, no downtime as per my third party monitering service, I use a Mysql DB and PHP but am not a heavy user. The DB response there is better than where I was hosting before and fewer restrictions (Alwayswebhosting if you ask). Tried hosting another of my domain elsewhere (was cheaper = Bweebhosting now part of ifunction. com) This site was down last week 22 hours in row and no support answer either e-mail or phone.

I don`t mind "Walmart" for basic things??

At Powweb the few support questions I had got answered in a timely way. Have hosted my sites with a few providers in the past, I don`t think any are perfect and most don`t let you know of changes, you always have to checkout the boards and that is frustating.

thanks for the info, i will check it out.

great. but what the rate.i mean the amount for the 2 year web hosting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast