View Poll Results: which operating system do you use?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • FreeBSD

4 13.33%
  • RedHat

15 50.00%
  • Mandrake

0 0%
  • Solaris

1 3.33%
  • Windows 2000

9 30.00%
  • Win NT 4

0 0%
  • Debian

0 0%
  • Slackware

0 0%
  • Mac os/x

1 3.33%
  • BSDI

0 0%

operating systems which do you use?

Would like a general view of what you people out there use?

Me myself, I use FreeBSD.
    Coreix™ | your solution™ www.coreix.net - 08000226734 - ISO27001 Certified
    Dedicated Servers - Colocation - Secure Cages - Enterprise & Managed Solutions - Clustering - LoadBalancing - High Availability - Hosted Exchange 2007
    NEW Tier III London DC with power sourced from 100% renewable sources, N+N UPS, N+1 Chillers and CRAC units, Mist Fire Suppression, Biometric and Man Trap security to all data areas

I'll assume that my vote for SuSE Linux should end up in the RedHat category.

I knew, I forgot some distros.

If I have missed other please list em.
    Dedicated Servers - Colocation - Secure Cages - Enterprise & Managed Solutions - Clustering - LoadBalancing - High Availability - Hosted Exchange 2007
    NEW Tier III London DC with power sourced from 100% renewable sources, N+N UPS, N+1 Chillers and CRAC units, Mist Fire Suppression, Biometric and Man Trap security to all data areas

FreeBSD rocks.

All our UNIX machines (dedicated & our own servers) run BSD. We haven't had any problems with it yet. We do have one dedicated RedHat machine (customer insisted) that's been a major pain.

Josh

Planet Z,

FreeBSD definately rocks, quick question, do you use a control panel, if so which one?

I use Webmin.

For the servers we admin ourselves or admin for the customer, it's simply telnet/SSH. No control panels for us.

However, for customer-run dedicated servers we have been using Webmin. It does take a little support to get them used to it originally, but most of them are pretty happy with it after they get a general idea of how to do things.

We've found that it's almost impossible to compete with places like Burst, etc. for customers that want CPanel, since an extra cost of $100/mo would kill any semblance competitive pricing.

Josh

For hosting,We use a mix/variety of linux versions/distros...

My personal boxes are running on red hat 6.2 and win2k.
    and I'm also going to explore the world of BSD's this summer .

cheers,
    elijah john

freebsd

Freebsd is by far the best unix/linux distro out there, redhat 6.x and 7.0 all suck, 7.1 is a huge improvement
    affordablecolo.com carrier grade colocation at a affordable price!
    Charles Baker - Company Operations
    1-866-316-HOST

Originally posted by cabalstudios
    I knew, I forgot some distros.
    If I have missed other please list em.
    How about OpenBSD, NetBSD, PicoBSD, Darwin (!=OS/X), IRIX, AIX, Tru64, and of course "N/A"? (That last for FPGAs and similar systems which don't have any "operating system").