2TB+ Bandwidth Colo for $100? If so, where?

So far two suggestions have been made,
    1. Colo with FDC
    2. Go with a fixed MBPS on the 95th.

I would prefer to have a fixed amount of traffic for $100.

The server would be a midtower & im wondering if anyone knows of any places that would offer it for that price.

Thank You

FDC isn't dedicated bandwidth. They put you on a 100 Mbps pipe that you share with others, as far as I can tell. 2 TB of bandwidth will cost you around $300 minimum, and probably $450 with a good datacenter...

In addition to that you'd have to consider the pricing for the ~4u space that the midtower server would take up. That will cost you as well.
    SeeksAdmin .:. Linux & Windows Server Management
    24/7 Coverage | 30 Day Guarantee | Fast Response Times
    Quality Outsourced Customer Support Services
    █ Drop Me A Line For Special Offers

About another $260 I would think. Again, the more respectable the DC is, the higher your price.

Typical hosting traffic patterns put a 2TB/month user at roughly 10.5Mbit/sec sustained 95th-percentile utilization.
    Jeff at Innovative Network Concepts / 212-981-0607 x8579 / AIM: jeffsw6
    Expert IP network consultation and operation at affordable rates
    95th Percentile Explained Rate-Limiting on Cisco IOS switches

a-m,

I honestly doubt that your going to find a *sane* colocation provider who is able to fulfill your needs of providing 2TB of bandwidth for ~$100. The only feasible solution I can think of is going with fdcservers -or- finding a dedicated server like the P2800 that The Planet is currently offering, however it is $199.00

~TAB

4U ~ $200.

if 2000GB is roughly = to 10.5mbps 95th%tile from the hosts point as stated above, and you figure $80 per mbps, that is $840.

the total cost from a decent, non oversold co-location provider is $1040. if you prepared to spend that much then im sure plenty of providers will be able to suite your needs. if your looking for a lesser quality host, you may be able to get that down to $700.

i think you should look over how much bandwidth you actaully need before proceeding with this. unless your doing streaming or you are hosting a very popular file server i really doubt you can get this much bandwidth. you may be better off getting a total control server from TP than co-locating a server. also, hosts who don't oversell generally don't like to deal with GB, as a customer could spike a fixed capacity line for hours at a time and still be in their monthly quota if they have rarely no traffic other times in the day. you may consider putting together an estimate in the form of a fixed capacity, or 95th%tile.

You don't need to spend $80/Mbit at 10Mbit/sec to get quality service and bandwidth. Transit is cheap even at that commitment level. There's a big difference between 1Mb/s and 10Mb/s because folks have to make enough money off their clients to pay for their sales and support efforts as well as all the OpEx involved in housing boxes and providing connectivity.

Originally posted by jsw6
    Typical hosting traffic patterns put a 2TB/month user at roughly 10.5Mbit/sec sustained 95th-percentile utilization.

Umm, 10Mbps is around 3.3TB/month - is 95th really that pathetic?
    Dedicated Servers, Virtual Machines, Colocation, BGP & IPs
    objx.net - AS33333 - Salt Lake, Utah
    awknet.com - AS17048 - Los Angeles, California

Originally posted by jwr
    Umm, 10Mbps is around 3.3TB/month - is 95th really that pathetic?
    It's not pathetic; that's just the result of typical web hosting traffic patterns. Lots of hits during the business day does that to you. If you read my posts on this topic you'll find a number of other experienced folks with numbers very similar to mine -- and a few who don't understand 95th percentile arguing against all of us

I would try and go for something more like $40-$50 per mbps on a 10 meg commit, from a decent provider. The actual rackspace for the box would probably cost about $200 ($50/U). I think your best bet would be to look at something like invisiblehand.net. They offer bandwidth per 5 minutes of usage. So for instance if you use 60 mbps for 5 minutes, you pay for that, and then if you use 5 mbps for the next 5 minutes you pay for that. It can save you a lot of money with some bursty traffic. Be prepared to pay about $60/mbit.