Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast
    That's just their policy incase pushing 10Mbps does impact their network. If it doesn't, which most of the time it doesn't, then you'd probably be fine.

I believe their routers report it after one hour of maxing out your port, and that's a good thing I guess because they don't want to have clients complaining because they end up with a huge BW bill.

Mini

Quote Originally Posted by server4sale
    Actually Yes

Yeap Great.. When you cant even push over 10mbps for over 20 minutes???
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by server4sale
    OK asking my question again for the people who will MOVE OUT. Where will you go. I really really like to know which other host will offer the same kind of prices.
    We've gotten out of the bargain-basement-cheap-hardware-and-unreliable-tech-support business and are now reselling servers from a higher-cost, higher-quality provider. I've been saying it for years, but it took a major LT disaster on one of our main boxes for me to re-learn the concept: YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. Our customers deserve better than what they were (are?) getting. So currently our new server orders are placed with Handy Networks. The hardware in particular, is outstanding. Of course nothing is perfect, but it is a far cry from the unmitigated crap hardware being chucked at customers at the server farms and bargain providers. And support tickets are always answered within minutes. I have not been this happy with a provider in a long, long time.

Bailey
    Let's Connect on Twitter! @thatsmsgeek2u || Fighting mediocrity one thread at a time.
      0 Not allowed!

Power costs are increasing, our power & operating costs have increased by 20% in 2007 and they will continue to increase as people demand more and more power, more and more disks.

There is nothing wrong with this, $ 8.00 is absolutely nothing. I just ordered some chinese food and it will cost me $ 13.00, so what.

As some above have said if $ 8.00 on a dedicated server, per month makes a difference, time to go out of business as it's clearly not working out.

ps - HOWEVER --

INCREASING THE PRICE ON EXISTING ACCOUNTS WAS NOT CORRECT
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Neosurge
    I'm going to the store to pickup a 2¢ bottle of soda. Oh wait, times changed!

Electricity rates go up, there is such thing as inflation.

Do you expect everything to stay the same year to year?
    This comparison doesn't work.

What LayeredTech is doing is trying to charge 3¢ for the same bottle of soda you already paid 2¢ for. You don't get a new bottle. You get to keep the same bottle.

Electricity... same deal. You've already used the electricity that you paid for. What you are being sold is new electricity for a higher price.

Cell phone companies, you do not see clients' plan prices increased. What you sign up for, is your rate, in perpetuity. Now if you change your plan, that's a new plan, new price. You can get new features, but they can't take them away from your current plan. Yes, prices are locked-in by contract; I understand that. We as consumers have now come to expect that our prices will be locked in by contract, haven't we?

What LT is doing would be like, if I was leasing a car, and the leasing company decided to arbitrarily raise the monthly rate. Same car, no extra service, no extra features... just, "we think the car is worth more now than the day you leased it, so now your lease payment is $250 instead of $200/month." Ahhh, no, it doesn't work that way. The car is older. It is losing value. Depreciating.

Price changes on colo space are an ordinary part of business. That is par for that course. Contracts are negotiated and signed, and when the contract is due to expire, new prices are negotiated. That is absolutely normal in the colo world.

What is NOT normal/ordinary is for dedicated server pricing to increase for existing clients. Ditto with shared hosting. Prices are simply not raised on existing clients; existing clients have always been grandfathered, in every instance of price changes that I have observed or heard-of over the years.

Layered Tech is straying into new territory that I am simply not comfortable with. I don't know that I can put the label of "unethical" on it, but I definitely classify this move as "improper."

For those who are not aware, there is a thread about this on the LayeredTech Forums. Chris Murphy's explanation of the reasoning behind the increase is on page 2 of that thread.

Bailey
    Let's Connect on Twitter! @thatsmsgeek2u || Fighting mediocrity one thread at a time.
      0 Not allowed!

i have two boxes with them so the impact is minimal onthe $ side of things - what im most bugged with is the email basically saying i can save some coin when the body is mainly about me losing coin... poor form LT.

and yeah im with everyone else on the 'leave existing customers alone' bandwagon, needless to say - as soon as something cheaper pops up i'll be seriously considering it.
      0 Not allowed!

LT are within their rights to increase price, but i don't see why they would apply it to exsisting customers/servers.

Why $8.00 they haven't actually said.

But best of luck to both those leaving LT and staying with LT.
    Data Republic - UK Managed Servers - Server Management - Managed Backup/R1Soft
    Follow us on Twitter to get exclusive sales & updates.
    R1Soft Agents Monthly !
      0 Not allowed!

After reading the email that was sent, as well as reading posts both on LT Forums and WHT, I can definitely see both sides of the perspective. I can understand the reasoning for LayeredTech increasing the pricing; but I can also understand the customer's frustration behind the decision.

As has been stated many times, if an $8 per month increase is going to break you, then you should really rethink your business model. Additionally, your contract with Layered Technologies is month-to-month (unless you prepay) and they are permitted to raise the rates. It is your choice whether or not to renew your contract at the new rate.

However: I do believe Layered Technologies was wrong to surprise you with an increase (no matter how small) on such short notice. I also believe it was dishonest and misleading to put "Save $XXX" in the subject line of the email. To me, that sounds like it is a total slap in the face for the customers.

In all reality, I think that the extra $8/month is a great deal for what you are getting. The free remote reboot port alone is worth its weight in gold -- most other providers will charge you $20+ per month for them. For all of you people that have posted on LT Forums or WHT complaining about how slow LT reboot staff is, shouldn't you be pleased that they are now taking the steps to rectify the problems? Personally, I am quite pleased to see this.

Layered Technologies is a great company to deal with. They make mistakes and have their problems. But, they're human, and that's to be expected. The difference between LT and other companies is that LT is willing to take the necessary actions to improve their service and keep their customers happy.

The lesson in this story is like every other: You get what you pay for. And, at LT, you receive a premium service (unlike most other providers) and occasionally there may be a small price increase to offset the cost of doing business. LT has bills to pay to. And, if you are willing to leave LT over $8, that is really your loss.

Just my 2¢
    Big things coming soon
      0 Not allowed!

Nick,

Then why did you leave LT? I still don't understand that.

Mini
      0 Not allowed!

In the beginning of the the year LT also increased bandwidth upgrade costs for unmetered users. 10mbit to 50 mbit unmetered was around 600$ and 10mbit to 100mbit was about 1000$. Now it's 1050$ and 2000$ respectively, par to SL prices.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Mini
    Nick,

Then why did you leave LT? I still don't understand that.

Mini
    Because of the slow reboot times and slow support times. Now that I see they are taking proactive steps to fix these issues, I will consider going back.
    Big things coming soon
      0 Not allowed!

Hi,

It is reasonable if this will help them in the long run and improve their services, hope they don't lose too many customers though.

Cheers
    █• Taskade - To-Do List & Tasks All-in-One To-Do List & Mind Map App for Remote Teams
    █• Simple and shareable to-do lists for web, mobile, and desktop
    █• To-Do List Templates 300+ shareable templates and productivity workflows
    █• Get things done, faster and smarter! I eat penguins for breakfast ...
      0 Not allowed!

Seem like quite a few of customers (low end boxes) moving though.

Hopefully, LT is the only one raise the price
    <<please see forum rules for signature formatting guidelines>>
      0 Not allowed!

I m not currently with LT, but i have to agree this is very unfair on their part. It would have been better if they just said, well we need more money to maintain our company
      0 Not allowed!

Well I wish I had seen this thread before I signed up.

I bought a box recently and 3 days later saying that next month I will have to pay $8 extra.

This is not the price i signed up for. They should have said this on their website. Maybe I missed it, but it certainly wasnt obvious to me.

False advertising. Not happy.

It would make better sense to raise the price for new customers.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by jasjbow
    Well I wish I had seen this thread before I signed up.

I bought a box recently and 3 days later saying that next month I will have to pay $8 extra.

This is not the price i signed up for. They should have said this on their website. Maybe I missed it, but it certainly wasnt obvious to me.

False advertising. Not happy.

It would make better sense to raise the price for new customers.

FWIW,

Their TOS gives them the right to adjust pricing as they see fit. No false advertising here.
      0 Not allowed!

Yes I knew that.

But I think it is very wrong that the price on their website right now does not reflext what you pay in the very next billing cycle.

Morally, that is getting very very low, in my book.
      0 Not allowed!

The only thing I have to note is that no LT customers should be surprised with this increase. When a company runs on such low margins you must know going in that if their power/colo rates increase you're going to be paying for them as they aren't going to allow themselves to lose money on servers. Their bargain basement pricing, which you have been benefiting from for however long you've had your server/s, is the reason for the price increase now. You can't have it both ways, either find a place that charges more, where you can be secure with your pricing, or pay less per month and be prepared for an increase.
    Last edited by anon-e-mouse; 03-04-2007 at 06:56 AM.
      0 Not allowed!

Funny how webhosts and customers in this thread see things differently. Customers want reasons for the increase webhosts say deal with it. What else would you expect though?

I for one have no problem with paying a higher price so long as i'm told the reason for the increase.
    How many web hosts does it take to screw in a light bulb?
      0 Not allowed!

I can accept the price increase for the new server orders and such but I can never ever accept if they will increase it for all servers especially those servers are old.

It would be better if they will just say, " hey, if you want a remote reboot with this and that, then we need to increase the price for your servers".

I am sure, next year or so... this will happen again if they decide to put their own DataCenter :-)

I think they want us to switch to other providers... well, they got their wish.

Specially 4 U
    Reseller Hosting: Boost Your Websites | Fully Managed KVM VPS: 3.20 - 5.00 Ghz, Pure Dedicated Power
    JoneSolutions.Com is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions, server management and services since 2001
    Debian|Ubuntu|cPanel|DirectAdmin|Enhance|Webuzo|Acronis|Estela|BitNinja|Nginx
      0 Not allowed!

Its 8 bucks.....I could see complaining over 20... but 8?

If 8 bucks is going to hurt you then.... you need to rethink your business model.. Besides if you are a LEGIT company PAYING taxes that 8 dollars will help you in the long run my increasing your taxable deductions.
    Budget servers are just that, BUDGET. Adding $8/month (or 100/yr) to someone's bill who wants a "budget server" is absolutely wrong, and yes, they have every right to complain about it.

Now, I'm not saying LT isn't within their rights to raise prices, that's not it at all. However, any company raising their prices MUST also raise the value of service to their customer. Where's the value of service, or the service increase here? There IS none.

What LT is doing here is actually deplorable. They're raising the prices on EXISTING servers for FUTURE server benefit. Sure, they advertise they're looking into APC / remote reboot situations, but at what future cost to customers? Or will these even be put on the current servers there?

Costs increase, that's a given, but passing this on to customers without a visible upgrade to service is just wrong.

Personally, I do have one server through a reseller. We'll see how that provider deals with the increase. If I have to pay an extra $8/month for the lousy network that I've seen, I'll be on the boat out of there as well.
    Tom Whiting, WHMCS Guru extraordinaire
    Linux problems? WHMCS Problems? Give me a shout
    Check out my WHMCS Addons
      0 Not allowed!

Honestly this just reiterates what people say about WHT being a place full of people who expect the world for peanuts.

Power costs are rising massively, $8 a month is nothing, even to a street bum. Live with it.

Dan
    █ Dan Kitchen | Technical Director | Razorblue
    █ ddi: (+44) (0)1748 900 680 | e: dkitchen@razorblue.com
    █ UK Intensive Managed Hosting, Clusters and Colocation.
    █ HP Servers, Cisco/Juniper Powered BGP Network (AS15692).
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by RazorBlue - Dan
    Honestly this just reiterates what people say about WHT being a place full of people who expect the world for peanuts.

Power costs are rising massively, $8 a month is nothing, even to a street bum. Live with it.

Dan

Yeah right!, easy for you to say...

I can live with it and I don't care.... but our clients will not.

Maybe I can use you to explain them about this or maybe you can send me 360 dollars per month to cover the increase on all our servers with LT.

Specially 4 U
    Reseller Hosting: Boost Your Websites | Fully Managed KVM VPS: 3.20 - 5.00 Ghz, Pure Dedicated Power
    JoneSolutions.Com is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions, server management and services since 2001
    Debian|Ubuntu|cPanel|DirectAdmin|Enhance|Webuzo|Acronis|Estela|BitNinja|Nginx
      0 Not allowed!

Dan

/me gives a Highfive.
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance
      0 Not allowed!

Dan
    Quote Originally Posted by Me
    Funny how webhosts and customers in this thread see things differently. Customers want reasons for the increase webhosts say deal with it. What else would you expect though?
    Way to prove my point. I don't expect the world for peanuts but i do expect a fair deal and too be treated like a sensible adults. Most customers in ANY industry want answers as to why their prices have increased. I've worked in sales for years and am yet to find a customer not complain about a price increase regardless of how little it was.

As far as expecting the world for peanuts. Maybe, what do webhosts at these forums expect. Let's be honest few webhost are here for camaraderie they're here to advertise their services. If they can't deal with harsh feedback over changes to prices and/or policy than perhaps this isn't the place to advertise.

P.S. I'm going to ask the street bum outside my building if he would mind chipping in the extra $8 a month for me if he tells me no i'll send him your way Dan so you can explain things to him.
    How many web hosts does it take to screw in a light bulb?
      0 Not allowed!

"It's only 8 bucks" - but that's not the point. If you sign up for a service at a certain price, then it seems that's what you should be paying. I was with Fastservers for 3 years. Their prices went way up, so whan it was time to look for a more powerful server, I had to look for another host. But while I was with them I had the same server for the same price with the same service agreement. That's only fair. If a host wants to raise prices - or even lower prices - for new customers, that's one thing. But existing customers already have an agreeement.

Just my $0.02
      0 Not allowed!

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast