Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Why do you keep buying VPS instead of buying a cloud?

Just trying to figure out the thought process of those still buying VPS's instead of buying a Cloud?

What is the difference to you?

Why do you buy a VPS with a static amount of resources instead of a cloud where you can launch the same VPS or multiple VPS by sharing the pool of resources you are assigned / have purchased?
    EasyDCIM.com - DataCenter Infrastructure Management - HELLO DEDICATED SERVER & COLO PROVIDERS! - Reach Me: chris@easydcim.com
    Bandwidth Billing | Inventory & Asset Management | Server Control
    Order Forms | Reboots | IPMI Control | IP Management | Reverse&Forward DNS | Rack Management

Because most cloud providers sell vps but run buzzword bingo marketing campaign. True HA cloud is more expensive than vps. Most clients don't want to pay for that sort of uptime. Some find software redundancy options more reliable.

I find the RAID 10 SSD, plus R1Soft backups and quality servers at Wired Tree to be just fine for me and my clients. I can upgrade and downgrade as much as I want. The cloud is SO hyped.

That said, I have my finger on the pulse. I like to know what the future will bring, but do not move everytime a newish tech appears.
    CapeWP.com
    CapeWP.com - WordPress for all of us

I have yet to see a true HA cloud that is just around the same price range as VPS.

That is the problem with marketing terms. A large number of 'cloud' providers are just VPS providers in drag.
    YourCheapHost.com - Low cost multi domain hosting solutions. [Legal adult content friendly]
    Reliable web site hosting is our motto. We have Alertra stats to back that up.
    Proven provider of high quality shared and reseller accounts since 2002.

I'm a fan of the 'real' cloud providers, however most are more expensive than standard VPS which is what pushes some people towards VPS still. Most 'cloud' providers don't actually have real cloud features (auto failover etc) which is what I'd expect from a cloud.
    Clouveo - SSD/NVMe Cloud VPS & Web Hosting
    Cloud VPS Servers | DDoS Protected | Snapshots | Auto Backups | One Click Apps | Custom ISOs
    clouveo.com | Locations: [UK] London, [NL] Amsterdam, [US] Los Angeles

Shared resource VPS, like OpenVZ, provide more peak usage for a cheaper price than dedicated resource VPS, dedicated servers or cloud offerings. As long as your average usage is low bursting for periods doesn't require spinning up additional cloud servers or oversizing a dedicated so it can handle peak loads.

Cloud prices are dropping all the time, vps perhaps not so much - perhaps the tipping point is soon, where 'vps' will be a forgotten term

Is it possible to use cloud for reseller hosting. just like regular VPS?
    Install CPanel on cloud and resell small packages...
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by goran5103 View Post
    Is it possible to use cloud for reseller hosting. just like regular VPS?
    Install CPanel on cloud and resell small packages...
    Thanks
    If you're going for a real Cloud VPS they're pretty much the same as a VPS except have auto failover and Dedicated Resources so yes this would be possible.
    Clouveo - SSD/NVMe Cloud VPS & Web Hosting
    Cloud VPS Servers | DDoS Protected | Snapshots | Auto Backups | One Click Apps | Custom ISOs
    clouveo.com | Locations: [UK] London, [NL] Amsterdam, [US] Los Angeles

cpanel / plesk all run well on cloud - there is little difference really. The primary difference is that you should have better reliability, and scalability (so if you need to add some more ram, or enlarge the disks, etc you can do it on demand without big downtimes)

Quote Originally Posted by dediserve View Post
    Cloud prices are dropping all the time, vps perhaps not so much - perhaps the tipping point is soon, where 'vps' will be a forgotten term
    Won't happen. At least we have a true definition for what a VPS is. From what I can tell there's never been a "true" definition for what constitutes a "cloud" in the first place.

Plus, autoscaling has always been possible with OpenVZ/PCS. James Bottomley (CTO of Server Virtualization at Parallels) gave a lecture last year on this very subject... "Containers and the Cloud: Do you need another Virtual Environment?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-x9wC94E38

Anyone who's ever asked "OpenVZ or KVM" will appreciate this talk. About 20 minutes in you realize he's politely ripping KVM to shreds the whole time.

http://www.parallels.com/fileadmin/m..._EN_042014.pdf

Personally, I see KVM going out before containers. To me, containers have always... just made more sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Cape Dave View Post
    The cloud is SO hyped.

That said, I have my finger on the pulse. I like to know what the future will bring, but do not move everytime a newish tech appears.
    I agree - people are jumping onto marketing tactics in so many cases and not actually getting the HA & redundancy they think. Even some of the biggest "HA" clouds have been hit by downtimes - some more than their bare-metal counterparts.

For the price/value ratio - a bare-metal VPS will do me just fine for most applications and is just as scalable as I need in my business. Of course fully redundant HA with full scalability has its place, but not for market I deal in.
    FEARData - Coming soon!

'HA' = cloud does seem to be a realtively unique to hosters / WHT tho.

Think of almost all clouds, Azure, Amazon, Rackspace, Digital Ocean, Linode - -all- are local storage based vps servers that are API accessible and scalable. Some have shared storage options and other tools that you can leverage to achieve some HA, but by default none of the above provide any failover.

"cloud" means "online", and nothing else. So congratulations! You're already using a cloud server!

The term has been raped and abused.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Quote Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
    "cloud" means "online", and nothing else. So congratulations! You're already using a cloud server!

Your deadpan delivery when sharing your opinions never fails to crack me up. It's so obviously true I could practically hear you sighing from my desk.

It's funny 'cause it's true.

Most times it's the same product with a different label.

Quote Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post

This really is the truth. Well said.

CloudVPS's are normal VPS's. - Just marketed differently.

20. Cloud more expensive. I mean GAE, AZURE. I was afraid that you need to pay for everything and it is not clear for the first view how much it will cost at the end. But now I'm testing GAE for my website, so maybe cloud not so scary.

Most VPS hosts will allow you to scale up and down your needs. If they dont, there are a fair few that will let you "Build Your Own" or if you really wanted they could set you up a re-seller style account so you can deploy as many or as few VPS's as you wish.

Cloud and a vps is same and
    Cloud is costly than vps.

What we should be asking is how does the OP define a cloud? Everybody seems to have a different definition and that's why no one can come to a consensus.
    Mean Servers - Mean Business
    █ Web Hosting | Reseller Hosting | VPS Virtual Private Servers | Dedicated Servers | Managed Services
    Denver, CO & Los Angeles, CA Locations - Mean Servers - www.MeanServers.com
    Mean Servers affiliates earn 20% recurring payments! Join today!

As soon as a term becomes popular or more importantly Marketable, it gets raped and pillaged.

Ever seen studio quality headphones for $9.99
    High End Servers for $125.00 per month (or high end Hosting for less than $1 a month)
    Premium anything !!
    Audiophile speakers ..2 for $49.00 PLUS Bluetooth.

Need I go on......

Price. VPSs can cost much less than the equivalent "cloud" service, especially from low end providers. You get what you pay for.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast