I heard this before, but for the first time i checked into what they were doing and saying. and it struck me as very curious and thought-provoking.

here is their solution to monetary, property, and financial problems :

http://www.thezeitgeistmovement.com/faq#faq5

1 - No Money or Market System
2 - Automation of Labor
3 - Technological Unification of Earth via "Systems" Approach.
4 - Access over Property.
5 - Self-Contained/Localized City and Production Systems.
6 - Science as the Methodology for Governance
Speaking from my engineering background, i can say that items #1, #2, #5 are within the technological capabilities of the planet since one and a half decade, and in fact are being practiced by many big production-supply-sale chains in various megacorporations. (just in time management, production systems, full automated factories, management information systems, no-inventory methods and so on - and yes, i had industrial engineer training). basically many of the megacorporations function like their own self-governing states, with no money used in between divisions (or used as figuratives for accounting ) totally self-sufficient and capable within themselves.

however naturally all these systems and functions, stay within the company. and what we see outside, ends up final product/service and the monetary interaction in between us and the company.

the curious points, are #3 and #4.