Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gordonrp View Post
    We got our X9SCL-F based servers this week.
    From where, if I may ask?

Our X9SCM-F seem to be having a weird issue with eth0 and eth1 ports being swapped and a bit of an issue getting IPMI working.
    Any one else experienced this?
    EasyDCIM.com - DataCenter Infrastructure Management - HELLO DEDICATED SERVER & COLO PROVIDERS! - Reach Me: chris@easydcim.com
    Bandwidth Billing | Inventory & Asset Management | Server Control
    Order Forms | Reboots | IPMI Control | IP Management | Reverse&Forward DNS | Rack Management

Quote Originally Posted by Orien View Post
    Is X9SCL-F even in stock anywhere right now? I can't seem to find any.
    Maybe use the X9SCM-F instead:
    http://supermicro.co.uk/products/mot...04/X9SCM-F.cfm
    Swiftway.net Your Business deserves our Quality - Experts on Hand since 2005. Europe & US locations, we operate our own network AS35017 Support response time <15 minutes 24/7
    Introducing our new Entry level server line ! Support response time <15 minutes 24/7. Technology Fast 50 & Fast 500 award winning for multiple years, Your Business deserves Swiftway Quality.

Quote Originally Posted by CGotzmann View Post
    Our X9SCM-F seem to be having a weird issue with eth0 and eth1 ports being swapped and a bit of an issue getting IPMI working.
    Almost every SM board I've installed windows 2003/2008 on shows them backwards in the OS...BUT the left side port is always the IPMI port and the 1st in the BIOS and linux...are you saying the right side is doing IPMI on yours?
    Fast Serv Networks, LLC | AS29889 | DDOS Protected | Managed Cloud, Streaming, Dedicated Servers, Colo by-the-U
    Since 2003 - Ashburn VA + San Diego CA Datacenters

That is a weird issue.

We do not experience that kind of problem.

There is one server we had problem but it is because of a bad motherboard and we replaced it and now, it is stable :-)

IPMI seems ok too.

Specially 4 U
    Reseller Hosting: Boost Your Websites | Fully Managed KVM VPS: 3.20 - 5.00 Ghz, Pure Dedicated Power
    JoneSolutions.Com is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions, server management and services since 2001
    Debian|Ubuntu|cPanel|DirectAdmin|Enhance|Webuzo|Acronis|Estela|BitNinja|Nginx

We always use the dedicated port for ipmi. It is correct that windows mixes eth0 and eth1 up. Not a problem with CentOS though.
    YISP - High Bandwidth dedicated servers and colocation in YISP-AS(Amsterdam)!

it's matter of fact the CentOS 5.6 sees 82579LM (higher MAC address) as eth0, and 82574L (lower MAC address) as eth1. not sure this is really a big deal?!

this could be a 'side-effect' that these X9 boards came out several months after RHEL5.6/6.0 were released. what's the solution? I've no clue...
    C.W. LEE, Apaq Digital Systems
    http://www.apaqdigital.com
    sales@apaqdigital.com

apparently the boards take 2 times as long to post then X8DT3's as well, FYI
    the port swapping issue is having an effect on automation which needs to be worked around.
    EasyDCIM.com - DataCenter Infrastructure Management - HELLO DEDICATED SERVER & COLO PROVIDERS! - Reach Me: chris@easydcim.com
    Order Forms | Reboots | IPMI Control | IP Management | Reverse&Forward DNS | Rack Management

Yes. When installing CentOS 5.6 NIC1 is not always eth0. Sometimes NIC1 is eth1 and NIC2 is eth0. No issues with IPMI, though.

Why not shell out a few more bucks and get the X9SCM-F? X9SCL only has six SATA2 ports but since all the new SATA drives are SATA3 (6 Gbps vs 3 Gbps) it's well worth the extra greenbacks for two SATA3 ports. It's not 2X faster than SATA2 but at least 50% faster.
    Last edited by shreky; 04-29-2011 at 12:22 AM.

Not sure if the last part of your reply was directed towards me, but we are indeed buying only the X9SCM-F.
    The few dollars difference is not worth the downgrade.

Haven't had a problem setting IPMI up itself on a X9SCL.

The web interface is buggy though.
    E.g. if you want to monitor the boot process and start the iKVM Java thing first, and then want to "power up" the server, you will find out you are unable to, as the webinterface is practically dead, or literary takes a minute to respond.

Code:
    $ time wget http://192.168.88.246/
    --2011-04-29 22:40:22--  http://192.168.88.246/
    Connecting to 192.168.88.246:80... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
    Length: 3269 (3.2K) [text/html]
    Saving to: `index.html'

100%[==========================================================================================>] 3,269       --.-K/s   in 0s      

2011-04-29 22:41:22 (140 MB/s) - `index.html' saved [3269/3269]

real    0m59.831s
    user    0m0.010s
    sys     0m0.000s
    If you power up first, and then open iKVM, things are ok.
    Also the server can be reached fine with command line ipmitool even if the webinterface is unreachable.

X9SCL only has six SATA2 ports but since all the new SATA drives are SATA3 (6 Gbps vs 3 Gbps) it's well worth the extra greenbacks for two SATA3 ports. It's not 2X faster than SATA2 but at least 50% faster.
    I'll bite.

What's the point in having a 600 MByte/sec interface on a standard SATA drive that barely reaches 90 Mbyte/sec in practice?
    Not to mention whether you have 3 or 6 Gbps does not matter much, if the data ends up being sent over a network link that is limited to 1 Gbit.

Future-proof for SSDs.... and I can list at least 10 common server applications that will need high speeds for internal work before sending it over the internet port .

Are any of you having problems with the IPMI not saving the Gateway?(X9SCL-F)
    After every reboot its set back to 0.0.0.0, we can get in if we are on the same subnet to change it then its viewable anywhere but once it reboots its back to 0.0.0.0....fired and email to SM but havent heard back yet.
    » ReliableServers.com
    » Dedicated Servers | Colocation | VPS
    » 973-849-0535

Quote Originally Posted by Robert vd Boorn View Post
    Future-proof for SSDs.... and I can list at least 10 common server applications that will need high speeds for internal work before sending it over the internet port .
    Which 10 server applications benefit from data throughput >300 Mbyte/sec? (or 6x 300 Mbyte if you do RAID)
    Remember we are talking sequential data throughput, not random IOPS.
    Last edited by Maxnet; 04-29-2011 at 06:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ReliableServers View Post
    Are any of you having problems with the IPMI not saving the Gateway?(X9SCL-F)
    We have the same issue with the X9SCM-F after we've updated to the latest BIOS version.
    UltraVPS.eu - Reliable Virtual Servers
    https://www.ultravps.eu/en/
    info@ultravps.eu

Quote Originally Posted by ProviderService View Post
    We have the same issue with the X9SCM-F after we've updated to the latest BIOS version.
    Have you updated the IPMI firmware? That is totally separate from the BIOS.
    Fast Serv Networks, LLC | AS29889 | DDOS Protected | Managed Cloud, Streaming, Dedicated Servers, Colo by-the-U
    Since 2003 - Ashburn VA + San Diego CA Datacenters

Quote Originally Posted by FastServ View Post
    Have you updated the IPMI firmware? That is totally separate from the BIOS.
    supermicro hasn't posted any IPMI firmware for any X9 boards. not even the initial version, let alone new one.

Quote Originally Posted by ProviderService
    the latest v1.0a BIOS for X9 boards doesn't even have an entry for IPMI's gateway/router IP in BIOS so that you can't even enter the IP at all. not sure it's by design or just a "bug". I wouldn't update BIOS from v1.0 to v1.0a till we could know more about it.

Quote Originally Posted by ReliableServers
    Are any of you having problems with the IPMI not saving the Gateway?(X9SCL-F)...
    we were having lots of issues using 3ware 9650SE on X9SCL-F board! the CentOS 5.6 install freezes up randomly during partition formatting or files transferring stage, and we have tried a few different X9SCL boards, different RAM modules, BIOS v1.0 as well as v1.0a to no avail. however, the very same 3ware card has no issues at all on X9SCM-F board. pretty weird! any one had the similar encounter?
    sales@apaqdigital.com

Quote Originally Posted by cwl@apaqdigital View Post
    we were having lots of issues using 3ware 9650SE on X9SCL-F board! the CentOS 5.6 install freezes up randomly during partition formatting or files transferring stage, and we have tried a few different X9SCL boards, different RAM modules, BIOS v1.0 as well as v1.0a to no avail. however, the very same 3ware card has no issues at all on X9SCM-F board. pretty weird! any one had the similar encounter?
    we found that adaptec 2xxx/5xxx had no issue at all on the same X9SCL-F board that gave us grief when 3ware 9650SE was installed.

then we tried 3ware 9750SE on the same X9SCL-F, the same issue surfaced again! kept freezing up when OS files were being copied to array during CentOS 5.6 installation.
    sales@apaqdigital.com

Hello,

we received our first servers with X9SCL-F mainboard today.

Unfortunately, I am not able to enter any IP address within the BIOS, since it always responds "INVALID INPUT RANGE"".

If I set the IP address with ipmicfg, it is accessible by HTTP not the IP address gets unresponsive after reboot. I flashed the BIOS to latest version of april (initially, it was delivered with version from february) but this didn't help....

Quote Originally Posted by fgkfgk View Post
    Hello,

Unfortunately, I am not able to enter any IP address within the BIOS, since it always responds "INVALID INPUT RANGE"".
    You need to put it in this format: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx. If an ip ends with a 5 for example, make it 005.

Quote Originally Posted by Rens View Post
    You need to put it in this format: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx. If an ip ends with a 5 for example, make it 005.
    Hello,

this really worked, thanks a lot.

However, it does not explain why the IPMI card lost it's IP configured through IPMIcfg nor why there is no option to set the gateway within the BIOS....

Hello,

However, it does not explain why the IPMI card lost it's IP configured through IPMIcfg nor why there is no option to set the gateway within the BIOS....
    I'm quite sure we did not have these problems (gateway). We are using the board with SATA3, SCM if i'm correct. Maybe that is the reason?

Hello,

The gateway bug is what ourselves and others are seeing depending on the bios #. Sm claims to know nothing about it we are filling out their problem/defect form right now about it. Others should probably contact them or their vendor and do the same to get this fixed asap.

As for the raid problems we haven't tried any raid cards yet, the info you are providing apaqdigital will be helpful when we do though thanks for it
    » ReliableServers.com
    » Dedicated Servers | Colocation | VPS
    » 973-849-0535

There is a 1.0b bios out now for the X9SCM-F. Has anybody tried it yet?

I should receive a X9SCM server with E3-1230 CPU this week, but from what I read here I'm in for some tweaking and patching up. Especially IPMI losing its settings sounds very dangerous.