Question Must I pay for web hosting?

Hi, this is a two-part question.

1) I've registered a domain with Name.com, but don't have a web hosting package with them. MUST I use Name.com's web hosting packages, or can I use another company's, even though my domain is registered with Name.com?

2) Does any company provide FREE web hosting, assuming I own a domain?

Thank you!

With your domain name you could use any company for web hosting, you'd just need to update your nameservers/DNS records on the domain name to match your hosting company, these will usually be provided to you by the company who you purchase the web hosting from.

There are some free web hosting companies out there, however, as it's free you shouldn't expect any great quality service with amazing uptime, the resources available to you would be very limited as well, usually.

Good quality web hosting can be found for less than £2 a month really if you have low disk space/bandwidth requirements.
    Clouveo - SSD/NVMe Cloud VPS & Web Hosting
    Cloud VPS Servers | DDoS Protected | Snapshots | Auto Backups | One Click Apps | Custom ISOs
    clouveo.com | Locations: [UK] London, [NL] Amsterdam, [US] Los Angeles

1) No you can use any webhost you just update your nameservers at Name.com

2) You will need to go to freewebhostingtalk.com but remember this, you get what you pay for. If you want quality you have to pay for it. Good luck.

Of course you don't have to purchase hosting from your domain registrar. You can buy hosting from any web host you like, just change the nameservers of your domain name to that of your web host.

There are plenty of free web hosts out there, but to be honest, they all suck. All the good hosts are paid for and most of them aren't too expensive.
    Last edited by frankmeacey; 04-13-2014 at 03:32 PM.

I would recommend a low cost provider like http://www.nosupportlinuxhosting.com/ over a free host any day of the week. Only use a free host if the possibility of the host disappearing (along with your site) is not a problem.
    WHMEasyBackup.com - Take Control Of Your Backups!
    Complete Backup Solution For WHM Reseller Accounts

As others have mentioned you can use any web host you like, however if you are looking for a fee web hosting provider just remember you wont receive a stable service. You can find some cheap plans in the offers forum, just remember to do your research

There are many free hosting providers, some are good and some you should avoid. I only recommend free hosting if it is for learning proposes, but if you're serious about your website, you should look for a decent paid hosting provider, where you can receive quality support and web hosting guarantees, which free hosting providers do not provide.
    HostNurse.com - We Nurse & Babysit Your Websites!
    Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | VPS & Dedicated Hosting
    24/7 Support | cPanel | Softaculous | SEO Tools | RVSiteBuilder & More.

http://nearlyfreespeech.net is almost free and pretty good service.

Keep in mind how important it is to read the terms and conditions of your package. Depending on the stipulations they could technically own the domain if you ordered a package/special deal. Other than that, any domain registrar who tells you that you have to host with them is almost certainly lying.

Try to buy a shared hosting, by if you want free then:

byethost.com/free-hosting/news

You can also go to Free Web Hosting Reviews:

http://www.freewebhostingtalk.com/fo...osting-Reviews
    Cybernes Hosting: Hosting Cusco

There are many free web hosting providers. Not sure how malicious $3 per month is though. Support the little companies

you can host your domain anywhere by update name server.
    for business purpose very recomended to choose paid hosting service.
    Broadcastindo.com
    Domain » Affordable US Shared Hosting » Icecast » Shoutcast

A couple of years ago I had a job at one of the major free hosting providers. As an insider, I wouldn't recommend going for the free hosting option.

Quote Originally Posted by DWS2006 View Post
    I would recommend a low cost provider like http://www.nosupportlinuxhosting.com/ over a free host any day of the week. Only use a free host if the possibility of the host disappearing (along with your site) is not a problem.
    Thank you for mentioning us.
    No Support Linux Hosting Bargain cPanel Hosting Experts Only
    We IGNORE the support questions, and pass the SAVINGS on to YOU!
    We also ignore questions about VPS Hosting

If you care about your site or especially if it generates any kind of revenue don't go with free hosting. With today's low prices of hosting I fail to see how 3$-4$ a month can be a problem.

Free web hosts can be OK if you don't need 100% uptime, back up your web site regularly, and can handle the day or two of down time if they disappear. I've tested a few out and been happy enough with their services. Really, though, anyone can afford a couple bucks a month (or the aforementioned buck a month) if you don't want to worry about it.

You can find free hosting from numerous sites. When you choose to PAY for hosting, you are actually buying better reliability, support, DDoS and virus protection, easy to use and multi-feature control panel, no advertising on your site for the free host, email, better security(to keep site hijackers out), updated system software and much more.

Free hosts tend to have poor reputations because those living in the dark side tend to gravitate towards their services. Free works until they do something that gets them kicked off, then they create another free account and start over. And reputation DOES matter in getting a good Google ranking.

All in all, a few dollars a month isn't a huge outlay for these basic (for a paid host) benefits.
    -----------------------------------
    AmeriWeb Hosting
    One Stop Business Solutions
    AmeriWeb Hosting