Thread: IX WebHosting

Hybrid View

Question IX WebHosting

Hello all,

I'm changing hosting companies and was wondering if anyone out there has had any dealing with IX WebHosting - either good or bad. Thanks.

Craig
      0 Not allowed!

Hi,

You might want to first try doing a search here:
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/search.php?s=
    then check http://whois.sc/ixwebhosting.com

Good luck.
    █• Taskade - To-Do List & Tasks All-in-One To-Do List & Mind Map App for Remote Teams
    █• Simple and shareable to-do lists for web, mobile, and desktop
    █• To-Do List Templates 300+ shareable templates and productivity workflows
    █• Get things done, faster and smarter! I eat penguins for breakfast ...
      0 Not allowed!

Re: IX WebHosting

Originally posted by csmiller
    Hello all,

I'm changing hosting companies and was wondering if anyone out there has had any dealing with IX WebHosting - either good or bad. Thanks.

Craig
    They offer unlimited space. Nuff said
    Xcellweb.net - Quality Web Solutions That Work!
    █ Web Hosting | Web Servers | Shoutcast | Domain Names

Providing High Quality Web Solutions Since July 2002!
    AgilityHosting.net - UK & European cPanel Web Hosting
      0 Not allowed!

Any site offering "Unlimited" space or "Unlimited" Bandwidth is not worth dealing with. Don't get burned, pick a different host.
    Thanks,

Brendan Diaz
    Connect: linkedin.com/in/brendandiaz
      0 Not allowed!

I won't even say what I experienced with their "Sales Support". It's enough of an indication to stay far far far away from these clowns.
    Doug Hazard - "retired" Web Hosting Master
    * Full Stack (Web/WP) Dev for The Catholic Diocese of Richmond (160+ sites)
    * Sports Photographer, Media Personality and CFB Historian
    * Tech Admin for several Sports Networks/Sites
      0 Not allowed!

csmiller, what are you looking for in terms of services, space and bandwidth from your host?

Also, what is your monthly budget?

With that information, the people here at WHT could help you find a better host, or at least point you in the right direction.
    Thanks,

Brendan Diaz
      0 Not allowed!

Avoid 'unlimited space/bandwidth' at ALL costs.
    Richard Kelly
    Host Current
    www.hostcurrent.com
      0 Not allowed!

csmiller, what are you looking for in terms of services, space and bandwidth from your host?
    That is what you need. There's no need to go overboard with things. If all you need are 20mb of space and 1Gb of data transfer that's what you should look for (plus a safe margin, of course).

Try the HostQuote feature while you're at it. It can't hurt: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/request.php
    Last edited by ldcdc; 04-13-2004 at 08:18 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

Hi all,

Thanks for your replies. Judging by Douglas's reply, Sounds like I should avoid them. Our requirements are simple. I keep a web site for a group that I belong to (18th century Reenactment group) and I am ditching superusers.net because of a sudden, total lack of communication. Up to now (4 years running), I had never had a problem with them.

We need between 50 and 100M of disk space (plenty for future expansion), not really sure just how much transfer data we need but if it is any indication the site just logged 10,000 hits in the past 4 years. We do have a fair number of pictures on the site that people can look at.

We do not sell anything nor have need of chat rooms or forums. E-mail might be nice though. Any thoughts on bandwith?

Craig

PS - tried to post my URL but I haven't made enough posts to do so.
      0 Not allowed!

It seems to me that traffic is low. My guess is that a few gigs (3 or 4 just to be sure) of data transfer should be enough. Don't you have some account usage statistics? I read at www.superusers.net that the your control panel should feature: "Disk usage report. Current month's bandwidth usage report." So login in the control panel and get this bit of info.

Email comes with 99.9% of hosting packages. How many email addresses is a different issue, but email is usually available, as I said.
      0 Not allowed!

I have shared my discussion with their sales department with two people, one of them being Dan (the guy that posted above me). I'm a bit hesitant to post the conversation here, as I don't want to give them any more publicity than they're already getting. I will say this much: They're lying through their teeth, not just about their hosting plans, but where they're actually residing, their datacenter and a few other things...
    Doug Hazard - "retired" Web Hosting Master
    * Full Stack (Web/WP) Dev for The Catholic Diocese of Richmond (160+ sites)
    * Sports Photographer, Media Personality and CFB Historian
    * Tech Admin for several Sports Networks/Sites
      0 Not allowed!

Hi Dan,

Here are the overall stats from 11/1999 to now:

Overall Hits: 438,364 accesses, 2,333,645,435 bytes

For the week of 3/29 thru 4/4:

Item Accesses Bytes
    Overall Hits 3,228 27,997,233
    Home Page Accesses 16 13,538

Unique sites served: 274
    Unique documents served: 372

As you can see - it isn't a well traveled web site....

As for the Control Panel - that is part of the problem I have with Superusers. I'm not much into heavy web site construction and in January I found out about their CPanel, which I never knew existed. I tried to access it and couldn't. So I wrote them and got a nice reply back. They said that they would have to move me to a new server that had CPanel on it and to contact them in a few days and they would be ready to move me. Well, 4 or 5 emails 'requesting a move' over the past 2 1/2 months, no reply and no moving to a new server. I even sent a simple question to their help desk and never got an answer (all I wanted was an online help manual). So much for their service. So I have no control panel to log into. The stats on my site are from something called wusage (I asume that Superusers places them on my site). Guess you can't tell that I'm a bit *miffed* at Superusers....

Craig
      0 Not allowed!

Craig, you can find hosting for 5.00/m with a decent host that can provide you with exactly what you're looking for. If you only need around 100 MB of space, sign up for a small account with a quality provider that will offer just that. Don't pay for things you don't need, and never go with a host that claims to offer unlimited bandwidth or space.
    Thanks,

Brendan Diaz
      0 Not allowed!