Hybrid View

Noobie question about dreamweaver (tables)

I'm trying to design a website using tables. The "height" on some of the tables won't change even though I typed in a number. Let's say the table is "10" and I change it to "5", it still stays on 10. I tried on clicking all of the cells on the same column and still no go (this worked for the width when I clicked on the whole row) Does anybody know the solution to this? Thank you.

Is there anything in the table?
    Have you tried changing the value in the HTML itself?
    Web: www.explosivefx.com | Mail: me[at]nemelization.com | AIM: Nemeliza | MSN: me[at]nemelization.com

The height in <table> is not a valid HTML attribute therefore don't use it.

Use CSS instead.

The table has no data to relate it's size to. Try adding something in with the table. That way the table size can be compared to something and change it's size. Good luck and don't use dreamweaver!! Use HTML.

Dreamweaver is kinda stupid in that case, it always add some blank text:
    Code:
    &nbsp;
    in each cell(that code is simply a space), so if you resize the height to a smaller height, it won't be able to since there's some "text" in it. Simply open the html editor of DW and remove these things.

height is NOT a valid attribute to <table> don't use it!

Originally posted by Rich2k
    height is NOT a valid attribute to <table> don't use it!
    Hmmm... Deja Vu? Seems I saw that before...

Rich is right, HEIGHT is not a valid attribute of <table>... A table's height is the sum of the height of each of its rows. The height of each row is dictacted by the heighest cell within that respective row.

But if you're fighting with the use of tables, and getting the layout you desire, why not take up the battle with CSS instead, and break that learning curve, as its the direction of the future anyway, eh?
    You've got to accentuate the positive; Eliminate the negative
    Latch on to the affirmative; Don't mess with Mister In-Between

-Bob

I know I said it earlier, no one listened so I thought I'd say it again for good measure.

If you want to write standards compliant code that will work on all user-agents make sure you don't use non-existant attributes.

Note the height attribute of a <table> tag isn't even deprecated... it simply doesn't exist in the standard.

Well, if you don't want to use the height tag or CSS, use a spacer image...