Question cheap linux hosting with SSH?

Here is what I need in order of importance:

SSH support
    Linux Platform
    must allow me to keep background processes running, such as irssi
    under $5 per month
    ~15 GB transfer
    ~1 GB storage

The storage and bandwidth are not nearly as important as them allowing me to run irssi (a very low resource irc client) and ssh'ing in to use irssi. I know dreamhost used to allow users to do this, but they don't anymore. Does anyone know of a cheap host that will work for me?

I think you need to raise your budget and contact the provider beforehand to confirm your requirements.
    PremiumReseller.com Hyper-V SSD VPS USA London Singapore
    Reseller Hosting Cpanel PURE SSD CloudLinux Softaculous
    Windows Reseller Asp.NET 4.5 MSSQL SmarterMail Enterprise

1GB disk space with 15GB transfer monthly at $5 should be ok .... but when you need SSH most of the host does not provide it due to security problem ...
    Give them a chance = http://www.worldvision.org =

Need a Server at Singapore | Hong Kong | Malaysia | Texas?
    Not to worry WE can HELP you ::: DirectAdmin on Linux Server :::

Quote Originally Posted by PremiumHost
    I think you need to raise your budget and contact the provider beforehand to confirm your requirements.
    the problem is that there are 234598347 different webspace providers out there, and I don't have time to contact every one on the planet asking each one individually if they allow background processes and ssh.

Quote Originally Posted by GigabitONE
    1GB disk space with 15GB transfer monthly at $5 should be ok .... but when you need SSH most of the host does not provide it due to security problem ...
    I've seen many in that price range that allow ssh, but none allow background processes...

Quote Originally Posted by GigabitONE
    SSH is not going to be a problem, but I don't think that anybody on their right mind is going to allow him to run background processes on a shared hosting enviroment.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

the problem is that there are 234598347 different webspace providers out there, and I don't have time to contact every one on the planet asking each one individually if they allow background processes and ssh.
    I'm sorry, so in other words, you don't want to do the research yourself but instead want to rely on someone here to make the decision for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Jedito
    SSH is not going to be a problem, but I don't think that anybody on their right mind is going to allow him to run background processes on a shared hosting enviroment.
    This is true. On the few shared hosting providers that allow SSH, every one I have ever seen explicitly prohibits running background processes. You'll need at least a VPS to do that.

It's just simple economics. A shared hosting company is not in the business of monitoring user processes on that level. They provide SSH only to allow users to move files around, set permissions, pull down files, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by tobiasly
    This is true. On the few shared hosting providers that allow SSH, every one I have ever seen explicitly prohibits running background processes. You'll need at least a VPS to do that.
    The only case where I have seen background processes allowed are specialized python hosting because the cool python frameworks run their own server.
    I will also suggest looking for a VPS but you won't find that for $5/month.
    Good Web Hosting Info - Information about web hosting

Yeah, the $5/mo is the kicker... of course, I guarantee that any host who charges under $5/mo who also allows SSH access and background processes certainly isn't one I would want services from!

UnixShell has currently stopped taking orders until mid-May or so, but their lowest priced VPS was $8/mo and included 3GB disk space and 64GB transfer. However at just 64/128MB RAM/swap you sure couldn't run a decent website on it.

But if you just want a spare VPS for running a background process, it would do the trick. I'm considering getting that plan to run Nagios in order to monitor my "real" VPS from a 2nd location.

Quote Originally Posted by nbv4
    Here is what I need in order of importance:

SSH support
    Linux Platform
    under $5 per month
    ~15 GB transfer
    ~1 GB storage

The storage and bandwidth are not nearly as important as them allowing me to run irssi (a very low resource irc client) and ssh'ing in to use irssi. I know dreamhost used to allow users to do this, but they don't anymore. Does anyone know of a cheap host that will work for me?

Maybe you should signup for a hosting account somewhere, then a shell account (for your irssi irc client) elsewhere? Most hosts don't allow irc on their webservers.
    Happily hosting @ Dathorn.com (Since 3/2003), Ispeeds.net (Since 2004), & Quadspeedi.net (Since 7/2005)!
    Hosted @ FDC for 9 Years

$5 per month will get it done, but probably not with the best quality host. You should weight how much quality, speed, and uptime mean to your project or web site.

Best of luck and happy hunting!
    100% Uptime Guaranteed Servers - cPanel & DirectAdmin Hosting
    Rock Solid Dedicated Servers | Managed & Unmanaged | We Custom Build Servers To Your Needs!
    Premium cPanel and DirectAdmin Hosting | Managed & Unmanaged | We'll Customize Any Plan!
    Email Our Sales Team Now At sales@rackmounthotel.net

Quote Originally Posted by fish
    The only case where I have seen background processes allowed are specialized python hosting because the cool python frameworks run their own server.
    I will also suggest looking for a VPS but you won't find that for $5/month.

So can I assume if a host calls themselves "VPS" I will be allowed to run background processes with them? I found a couple hosts that have a VPS system, but none of their TOS's explicitly allowed nor prohibited background processes. It seems to me that the point of a VPS system is to split up resources so one individual customer doesn't do something that slows down the whole machine. Could it be safe to assume all do so, or will still I have to ask each one individually?

Quote Originally Posted by MyDigitalHost
    I'm sorry, so in other words, you don't want to do the research yourself but instead want to rely on someone here to make the decision for you?

I made this topic because I thought there had to be some people on this board who have used a host that allows what I want and could point me in the right direction so I can find a plan that meets my needs. I don't have the time (no one has the time) to contact each and every host asking if they allow background processes.

To run background processes like (BitchX, eggdrop, irsii, bnc) you need to find a company that offers shell hosting services. Most webhosts don't offer that service.

Quote Originally Posted by nbv4
    So can I assume if a host calls themselves "VPS" I will be allowed to run background processes with them? I found a couple hosts that have a VPS system, but none of their TOS's explicitly allowed nor prohibited background processes. It seems to me that the point of a VPS system is to split up resources so one individual customer doesn't do something that slows down the whole machine. Could it be safe to assume all do so, or will still I have to ask each one individually?
    Well, I have seen some unscrupulous hosts that advertise a Virtual Private Server but that's not really what they offer. But in general, yes, you can run whatever you want on a VPS unless it's explicitly prohibited. You will often see exceptions against running IRC servers (I'm not exactly sure why that is; surely IRC doesn't use a ton of bandwidth or CPU.. maybe it's a legal thing) but I've never seen prohibitions against IRC clients.

In general, as long as the host advertises "full root access", then you can run whatever you want. The entire point of a VPS in fact is to run background processes, because there is no shared web server, database, etc.

nbv4, looks like you should be either looking into an IRC allowed vps or an IRC shell account. As many webhosts would not permit backgrounds on a shared account much less IRC background processes on a shared web account.