Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by brentpresley View Post
    Again, STILL not cloud.

If the node you are on has a hardware problem, you are down until they fix it. That could be hours, or more, and clients looking for extremely high uptime will not tolerate that possibility.

Redundancy and High-Availability require substantially more expensive network and hardware designs.
    Not necessarily - at their price point - you could set up a multi-VM cluster which provides HA, etc. at the user layer.

While it's not Cloud in the technical sense - it seems to somewhat match the popular salesy definition of it.
    Simpli Networks, LLC :: http://www.simplinetworks.com :: Proudly 100% Owned.
    Providing Affordable Managed Cloud/VPS Servers & Server Management Solutions.
    We offer REAL 24x7x365 in-house support - proudly serving our customers since 2005!
    Want to learn more? Give us a call - +1 (844) 4SIMPLI or email sales[@]simplinetworks.com today!

Again, STILL not cloud.
    No, it's just not your perceived definition of cloud which does not mean it's not cloud. Like I say, there is no absolute definition of what must be provided to use the term.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Lee~ View Post
    No, it's just not your perceived definition of cloud which does not mean it's not cloud. Like I say, there is no absolute definition of what must be provided to use the term.
    Along the spectrum of VPS to 'cloud' with HA and redundancy, digital oceans' offerings are FAR FAR closer to the former than that later.

As I stated before, for those of us that invest in the real mccoy and provide ALL the features associated with cloud, these offerings are just false advertising.
    Brent Presley - brent@innoscale.net
    Innovative Scaling Technologies Inc. - Enterprise Cloud Hosting and Support
    24/7 Dedicated Support, Call us @ 1-888-722-8515
    www.innoscale.net - Ashburn - Dallas - Seattle - Santa Clara - Chicago - Amsterdam

Along the spectrum of VPS to 'cloud' with HA and redundancy, digital oceans' offerings are FAR FAR closer to the former than that later.

As I stated before, for those of us that invest in the real mccoy and provide ALL the features associated with cloud, these offerings are just false advertising.
    I am not disagreeing with the viewpoint, all I am really saying here is that if the association of the elements you refer were such an integral part of the "Cloud" then yes it would be false advertising however they are not so it's not.

There is a massive market out there that want the cloud as offered by DO, there is a much smaller market that want your cloud. Perhaps because they do not understand the difference but then perhaps also because it's all they need and for them that's all the cloud they need.

Whilst yes DO is just a VPS provider they are far from the majority on here and that is what sets them apart.

DigitalOcean offer a nice and simple service very cheaply but they're lacking when it comees to reliability. In my experience, it's luck of the draw; sometimes you end up on a hypervisor that's having it's CPU maxed constantly, sometimes you're lucky and end up on a fairly idle one. They're good for testing and but I wouldn't use them when uptime and reliability is a primary concern.

By common definition to lay people, plain old vanilla shared hosting is cloud. Heck, ANY internet based service is considered cloud these days.

When people ask about digital ocean (or any other provider) and don't even mention the word cloud in their question, why you guys insist on jumping all over them with "THEYRE NOT REALLY A CLOUD PROVIDER JUST A VPS"???

What is so freaking wrong with a good ol' VPS that warrants this kind of hostility? Most of the hosting world out there isn't HA. We have redundant power, redundant network, and redundant disks, and so does any reputable VPS provider. I -hate- the term cloud, but let's be honest; any provider that ISN'T using the term is really only hurting themselves.

Unless someone specifically asks for or needs HA, can we stop the bashing and just get past the term cloud?

Quote Originally Posted by bwbb View Post
    ...can we stop the bashing and just get past the term cloud?
    You have my vote.

Quote Originally Posted by GR22 View Post
    1. Excellent uptime in the year or so I have used them, mostly using NY2 and Singapore locations.

2. For network speed use http://speedtest-nyc3.digitalocean.com/. That is for ny3 but has links to other locations.

3. I have only contacted support once or twice and they have answered quickly.

The big limitations of DO are only 1 IPv4 per droplet and less CPU power compared to competition like Linode and Vultr. I think they eventually are adding support for multiple IPv4, but it does not sound like it will happen in the near future. CPU seems to occasionally get maxed out by those you are sharing CPU with, but usually only a very brief disruption. Never really have any problem with 2+ cpu instances.
    If they are not already doing multiple v4 per vps I doubt they'll start, at least, not for a reasonable price. ARIN is going to run out of Ips soon and after that, companies like DO who don't have more IPs than they need will have to start buying them, which will get expensive fast.
    IOFLOOD.com -- We Love Servers
    Phoenix, AZ Dedicated Servers in under an hour
    ★ Ryzen 9: 7950x3D ★ Dual E5-2680v4 Xeon ★
    Contact Us: sales@ioflood.com

@bwbb is 100% correct.

Moreover a real cloud needs to have a centralized SAN. And it is difficult to achieve the performance of local SSD RAID10 drives on SAN leave alone matching a price tag of $5/month.

But the low end of Cloud hosting is more interested in running benchmarks (bragging about dd and UnixBench scores) so a "real" cloud won't suit them.
    WordPress plugins | Blog | @jesin_a

Quote Originally Posted by ckissi View Post
    Hi,

I would like to try their cloud and create about 3 droplets. Few questions:

1. How about their network uptime ? Are they stable ?
    2. Network speed
    3. Support speed (not very important , but one never knows )

thank you.
    1. Very good, stable and no lag (Teamspeak 3)
    2. Its good too, i didnīt noticed any problem
    3. I do not know, but I hope it will be faster than Vultr

1. Great uptime, very stable.
    2. Network speed is great.
    3. Support is fast. I have only used it a few times though.

The uptime is pretty impressive and also the speed of their servers is good. I am not sure if we can call DO a cloud hosting provider, it is more like a VPS that is very cheap.

1GB server is good for a few small sites and testing grounds, their support is good and also the tutorials on their website are helpful

I have use digitalocean from last year

1. I used digital ocean for production server, there is not interference because my site is actually up.

2. Network speed i think is relative. but the speed is average from other service like aws amazon.

3. Support is very fast. within minutes not hours I guess

Regards.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12