Thread: Cstrike on VPS

Cstrike on VPS

Hello,

Have anyone have experience for ruining cstrike servers on VPS.
    And how many CS server i can run on 2GB RAM VPS
    the server will be 16vs16 or 12vs12 or something like that.

From what I understand VPS is not recommended for game server hosting. However I'm sure one of the game server guys on here can shed more light on the subject.

Perhaps if it's a Xen VM with dedicated resources and a dedicated CPU core or something....?

I wouldn't say it has anything to do with whether it is Xen or VZ but it does depend on the provider's CPU allocation and stipulations.

We currently have a few users running srcds, I think the smallest is on a 512MB but I can't say how much your going to get out of your provider.

What about VPS on vmware ?

I think at least 1CPU core

Quote Originally Posted by devonblzx View Post
    I wouldn't say it has anything to do with whether it is Xen or VZ but it does depend on the provider's CPU allocation and stipulations.

We currently have a few users running srcds, I think the smallest is on a 512MB but I can't say how much your going to get out of your provider.
    That's what I was wondering, would you happen to know if it would run fine if the server was say quad core with a dedicated core to the Xen VM? I'm actually curious on that one i.e. quad core with no more than four xen VM's on it? Which also makes me wonder about the nehalem xeons.

I think that I need to raise even more capital.

Do a search on these forums this exact question has been asked more then once:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/archiv.../t-725173.html

If you're on host that uses the latest version of Xen, with either a PV Linux kernel or HVM kernel w/stubdom, and they are giving you at least a dedicated HT core on a Nehalem (i7) based machine, you should be able to run a few CS 1.6 servers very effectively in 2 GB of RAM.

I don't have personal experience with recent VMWare or VZ, but if your host is using a version that supports hardware-accelerated virtualization, I'd expect you to be fine on one of those platforms also.
    John
    President, NFOservers (Nuclearfallout Enterprises, Inc.)
    High-performance (Xen) VPS hosting, game servers, Ventrilo/Murmur/Mumble/TS3 servers, and dedicated servers

Quote Originally Posted by sumi View Post
    Hello,

Running any game server on a VPS has always a no no because they tend to pull resources.

If you expect to run a high quality server(1000fps or even 500fps) i wouldn't expect it to run smoothly because those are VERY CPU intensive.
    "Unix is simple. It just takes a genius to understand its simplicity." – Dennis Ritchie

Quote Originally Posted by JMele View Post
    Running any game server on a VPS has always a no no because they tend to pull resources.

If you expect to run a high quality server(1000fps or even 500fps) i wouldn't expect it to run smoothly because those are VERY CPU intensive.
    This was the case a few years ago, but nowadays, with a carefully managed VPS, 1000fps servers actually can be run quite well.

Dedicated resources and hardware-assisted virtualization are key here. It would also be a good idea to go with a VPS provider that has experience running game servers and will work with you to resolve any concerns.
    John
    High-performance (Xen) VPS hosting, game servers, Ventrilo/Murmur/Mumble/TS3 servers, and dedicated servers

Quote Originally Posted by sumi View Post
    Hello,

Hi,

I tried this ages ago when buying a vps with servelocity.net ...nothing special from their vps servers.

Tryed running a CSS 32 Slot (Tickrate 100) server, caused lots of choke/lag.

i dont see why not, just find a place thats not over sales and it will work fine

Quote Originally Posted by edge100x View Post
    This was the case a few years ago, but nowadays, with a carefully managed VPS, 1000fps servers actually can be run quite well.

Dedicated resources and hardware-assisted virtualization are key here. It would also be a good idea to go with a VPS provider that has experience running game servers and will work with you to resolve any concerns.
    Just noticed your signature saying you guys do Xen based VPS hosting -- do you have a lot of clients running gameservers on them? Feel free to not answer I'm simply curious since like you said a few years ago this was a major no-no (performance, timing, resources etc).

Our VPS hosting is primarily used for game servers. Very few clients use them for anything else.

It's still a small market because virtual machines have a bad rep for game servers. And that makes sense -- most of the time, a VPS provider will have an unknown amount of clients on the same machine, leading to unpredictable performance, and that's the last thing you want with a game server. Using dedicated cores makes the amount of clients known and works much better.
    John

Our VPS hosting is primarily used for game servers. Very few clients use them for anything else.

It's still a small market because virtual machines have a bad rep for game servers. And that makes sense -- most of the time, a VPS provider will have an unknown amount of clients on the same machine, leading to unpredictable performance, and that's the last thing you want with a game server. Using dedicated cores makes the amount of clients known and works much better.
    This is untrue for Hyper-V Windows VPS which can't be oversold and performance is guaranteed. Cost more but it makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultima VPS View Post
    This is untrue for Hyper-V Windows VPS which can't be oversold and performance is guaranteed. Cost more but it makes sense.
    Hyper-V servers can easily be oversold when it comes to CPU, as can virtual machines under any other current hypervisor. How? Simply by allocating more virtual CPUs than there are physical CPUs. When this is done, the VPS customer will not know, except in seeing reduced performance. Giving servers their own dedicated cores is important to low-latency services like game servers because it ensures that a minimum level of performance will be achieved.

What you were thinking of when you wrote your post was memory. Neither Xen nor Hyper-V allow memory overcommitment -- that is, they will not allocate more memory to virtual machines than there exists on the physical machine. In contrast, many other hypervisors allow more memory to be allocated to guests than is physically available, and will swap to and from disk as necessary. This is also a performance killer.
    John

Makes sense, and thanks for actually answering

1 core is fine. If you have 2gb of ram. a server really doesn't use that much resources how ever keep in mind are you burstable to 2gb of ram or do you actually have 2gb of ram. Since you are on a VPS and again depending on the hardware and how much of it you can use I would say you should be able to run atleast 10man server (ball park figure) The only thing you can do it try it out.

It will work fine with 1 core and 1 gb or ram. I've seen it run on much less!