Hostgator exist after 3 years. Good riddance EIG!

I posted this on the hostgator forums, too.

In my 3 years with Hostgator, I've had minimal issues.

That was because for the primary portion of my stay, I was in the superb datacenters of Softlayer (which is what enticed me to signup with HG to begin with).
    I was a customer with The Planet before Softlayer bought them out.
    Softlayer started increasing their prices, but I loved their network so I wanted to stay with them. Hostgator was a no-brainer for an alternative!

Without warning, I was given an 'upgrade' I did not ask for, which ended up being this shift to the low quality Provo, Utah datacenter (no longer Softlayer). Issues were intermittent, but not frequent enough to push me to move... until today.

Considering all of the bad press EIG has gotten over the years (yes, I knew of them BEFORE they bought out HG), the fact HG never sent an email press release to their customers warning us of this buyout should have been a red flag. I only learned of the buyout once I was "upgraded" and did some research on Webhostingtalk.

Apparently, there is still some staff left at HG from when Hostgator was owned by Brent, but you wouldn't know it if you consider some of the replies I've gotten from their ticket desk since the buyout.
    Irregardless, I understand that this situation was NOT the fault of Hostgator staff, but rather, their parent company Endurance International Group.

EIG has killed what made Hostgator's services good (no more Softlayer DC for one), and apparently loss of a lot of quality staff. Hostgator is just a brand masquerading from EIG now, nothing more.

EIG's damage control site, http://enduranceresponse.com/ claims there was a router/switch issue.
    A quote from someone who works in the hosting industry:
    Routers when down have to be replaced normally. We never let be down for more time than it took to get to the site. If its a big company someone should have been there and they should have had backup. Redundancy is very important when running a data center.
    Clearly, the Provo datacenter wasn't ready to handle the capacity of Hostgator customers.
    Clearly, EIG didn't have enough staff (or anyone) on hand to replace the switch.

EIG, in no doubt you've caused a lot of us to seek alternatives and people are leaving in droves. Was the money you saved by ditching Softlayer for this Provo datacenter really worth it?

I will forever avoid any EIG-owned brand. There will always be startups EIG hasn't gobbled yet. Anytime EIG buys out my host, I will move immediately.

16+ hours of downtime on a datacenter I never asked to be in is uncalled for.

For those curious, I already switched to Knownhost.

Hope everything works out at Knownhost, they carry a solid brand
    〓〓 RackNerd LLC - Introducing Infrastructure Stability
    〓〓 Dedicated Servers, Private Cloud, DRaaS, Colocation, VPS, DDoS Mitigation, Shared & Reseller Hosting
    〓〓 www.linkedin.com/in/dustincisneros/
    〓〓 My fancy email dustin@racknerd.com

After the EIG fiasco yesterday, there will be a lot of people looking for hosting.
    Joshua Combs

Quote Originally Posted by VortexNode-Joshua View Post
    After the EIG fiasco yesterday, there will be a lot of people looking for hosting.
    Yes they will. I picked up a few from a few FB groups I'm part of.
    WordPress Hosting
    Shared / White Label Reseller WHM | SSD Cloud | CloudLinux

www.LarisMedia.com Wordpress & Magento Website Design

As long as you guys don't get bought out by EIG next!

Glad to see you made the move, and I hope more people make the move too. I used to be a Hostgator customer years ago when Brent still was CEO. Recently, I've just heard the reviews and experiences but I think today was the end of the line for some people.
    TrentaHost INC. || Fully Managed DDoS Protected Services Globally (NA - EU - Asia)
    Reseller Hosting- Pure SSD | Litespeed | Imunify360 | CloudLinux | 24x7 Support | Mailchannels
    Linux & Windows DDoS Protected SSD VPS - cPanel / WHM | DDoS Protection | Let's Encrypt | Pure-SSD
    DDoS Protected Locations : Portland, OR (North America) | Amsterdam, NL (Europe) | Singapore (Asia)

Softlayer them self have recently been bought out so some changes on that front could be coming forward, Some major things have happened in the last year or so on the hosting front:

WHMCS Leak
    Hostgator Buyout
    Softlayer Buyout
    SolusVM Exploit (Much panic upon providers)

I think EIG could of handled the HG dealings a bit more like taking over the ropes for a while longer before they embarked on such a massive migration and consolidation project, In the eyes of EIG there most likely are giving clients an upgrade like to a DC they have more control over although problems have risen so early into things is what people are worried about.
    Last edited by Server Management; 08-03-2013 at 07:56 AM.
    UK Based Proactive Server Management.
    Zabbix Enterprise 24/7 Monitoring.

We saw some of the fall out of that issue yesterday ourselves in the form of new business. Managed Dedicated clients in particular.
    ThePrimeHost LLC - Serving Websites Since 2001.
    Fully Managed VPS Hosting w/ Cpanel + WHM
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers w/ Cpanel + WHM
    Reseller Hosting with End User Support

More debacles over at Hostgator: http://forums.hostgator.com/provo-da...8-t278820.html

Such a shame things are going this way for them. Obviously, a DDos attack is out of their control, but the DC it's happening in, coupled with the timing could not be any worse.