VPS Transfer of data to from any vps platform to openvz+solusvm

I'm kind of new to vps' and sysadmin stuff... but I'm getting the knack of it pretty quickly. I just transferred a vps from solusvm to solusvm which wasn't too hard because i just rsynced the /vz/root/CTID folder over and imported the vps on new server for that client and just updated the conf file settings in /etc/vz/conf/CTID.conf and rebooted...voila!

this is why I like the way solusvm + openvz platform as it is very easy to manage and understand even on the main centos node in SSH. you can see each individual folder/files of the vps' OS in the /vz/root/CTID. I've installed other vps' on xen and it was weird, like the vps was a lvm partition (pvcreated) or it was a tgz file that I couldn't view it's files on main node at all.

which brings me to the question... what if you transfer a vps from a different platform that's using these lvm partitions or tgz to solusvm openvz. Is there a trick to rsyncing these types of vps' and then Does solusvm somehow import those partitions as well or is there something special you have to do with these kinds of vps data, like unpack before rsync or something? I'd like to know in case I come across a client that wants to transfer from a different vps platform. Also, maybe others might want to know too.

SolusVM users tar.gz templates which it then unpacks onto the LVM which are then booted as the root filesystem of the Xen VM
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon
    Freelance Sysadmin for Hire - email vaserv@gmail.com

a thought just occured to me as I posted this. it would probably be best just to rsync / (whole vps root) directly from the remote vps root using root login or key? like this:

rsync -avz --delete -e "ssh -i /root/.ssh/id_dsa -pxxxx" remotevpsIP:/ /vz/root/CTID/

and then import into solusvm tool and reboot.
    Last edited by sven30; 07-01-2010 at 01:27 PM.

if you are on openvz, try this command to backup whole vps:

$sudo tar cvzpf /backup/Backup.tgz --same-owner --exclude=/backup/Backup.tgz --exclude=/backup/error.log --exclude=/proc/* --exclude=/dev/* --exclude=/mnt/* --exclude=/sys/* --exclude=/tmp/* / 2>/backup/error.log

* and restore on new vps with:
    $sudo tar xvzf /home/Backup.tgz -C /

make sure you change or update all the network file and ips before you log out.
    ControlVM.com :: Elastic Cloud Hosting Alternatives to VPS Reliable Cloud Server
    Enterprise Hosting @
    Malaysia ● Germany ● USA ● Singapore
    We Accept: Paypal
    Alipay GrabPay Credit/Debit Card FPX Bank Transfer Bank TT

Quote Originally Posted by CH Hosting View Post
    if you are on openvz, try this command to backup whole vps:

$sudo tar cvzpf /backup/Backup.tgz --same-owner --exclude=/backup/Backup.tgz --exclude=/backup/error.log --exclude=/proc/* --exclude=/dev/* --exclude=/mnt/* --exclude=/sys/* --exclude=/tmp/* / 2>/backup/error.log

* and restore on new vps with:
    $sudo tar xvzf /home/Backup.tgz -C /

make sure you change or update all the network file and ips before you log out.
    Thanks! yeah I see the exclusions, that must be the correct way to do it... this would be for backing up any centos system right? What if there is no room left on the vps you're backing up? Then I guess rsync with the same exclusions?