Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345
    Quote Originally Posted by CrissicSolutions View Post
    I find it unfair that others believe that because of my age, I am not able to do anything on a "mature level" -- well that is incorrect. Just because you have been in the industry for (say) 10 years as an example. Just because you have worked your rear for the last 10 years doesn't mean that the next guy to start up a webhost shouldn't be allowed to. If there was no competition, then the industry would be rather dull - am I not correct?
    This wasn't a discussion about competition in the industry, nor were we debating general competition. I have incubated resellers who went off and started their own hosting companies, and I have influenced and encouraged people to start their own hosting companies. I work with a number of competing companies who directly challenge my own business. Nothing I said could have possibly been interpreted or construed as being anti-competition in the least bit and if that's what you took away from what was said, I hope one day you will stop being so defensive about your age and your own mistakes and begin to see what people tried to impart to you.

My last statement to you, because I don't see much further reason to participate here in this particular thread, is that if the generality started out that you couldn't do it the "mature way' because of your age, you did nothing to prove anyone wrong by your actions. If you wanted to defend teenagers the world over, it would have likely been better for you to remain silent than to hold yourself up as both a unique success story as well as someone who was "not like them".

For me personally, what you have done is reinforced my own negative perceptions of children playing grown up with other people's money too soon before they have developed the wisdom and the maturity to fully appreciate the consequences of what they are doing.

My own child can hem and haw at me about what he can do and will do and would do all day long. I love my son dearly and usually, I believe him - but I never truly know, as a parent, until he takes the actions and makes the right choice what he really will do. It's the actions, in the end, that speak louder than the words. Until "you kids" and your actions start matching up to your assertions, I think you'll find a good number the adults in this industry will continue to be suspicious of you and your brethren's contributions to the industry.
    Jen Lepp
    “Customer service represents the heart of a brand in the hearts of its customers.” – Kate Nasser
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Lhiannon View Post
    Nothing I said could have possibly been interpreted or construed as being anti-competition in the least bit and if that's what you took away from what was said, I hope one day you will stop being so defensive about your age and your own mistakes and begin to see what people tried to impart to you.
    That wasn't meant to be directed at you, but at some of the other people who replied indicating that.

For me personally, what you have done is reinforced my own negative perceptions of children playing grown up with other people's money too soon before they have developed the wisdom and the maturity to fully appreciate the consequences of what they are doing.
    Wisdom and maturity grows with the person as they gain knowledge. Without throwing myself into this industry, what would I learn? Nothing.

My own child can hem and haw at me about what he can do and will do and would do all day long. I love my son dearly and usually, I believe him - but I never truly know, as a parent, until he takes the actions and makes the right choice what he really will do. It's the actions, in the end, that speak louder than the words.
    And I am not saying that you should stop thinking that, as you are being cautious and have very valid reasons to do as such.

Until "you kids" and your actions start matching up to your assertions, I think you'll find a good number the adults in this industry will continue to be suspicious of you and your brethren's contributions to the industry.
    So that is something I can live up to then. I can work on this and prove myself to others that it can be done.

I have gained a lot of knowledge just from this thread, and grantit it may prove to you that I have a lot to learn, but it also proves that to me as well. The more I put myself out there, the more I learn and gain invaluable knowledge that will, in the end, prove worth while.

I believe that each person should be evaluated and treated different, regardless of their age. If they can prove that they can survive in an industry like this, and still understand that they have room to grow and learn, then I think that is the most valuable thing.

Sorry it turned out a little nasty, but thanks for pointing a lot of things out to me that I had been rather blind to. I learned a lot from this thread alone, and hopefully I will continue to learn and grow as a person.
    Crissic Solutions, LLC - Affordable VPS Solutions.
    Our business is based on Honesty & Transparency!
      0 Not allowed!

FBLA - Future Business Leaders of America. (thats why you've never heard of it, your in Brittan). Basically a big organization that focuses on teaching high-school students business-skills. For example - I got 5th at regionals for "Public Speaking 1" where I had to write a 3-4 minute speech, and deliver it to a panel.
    I think this FBLA may not be as useful to you as you thought, if they had been any good, you would not have started your business yet, let alone posted in this thread.
    Are they funded by the US government ?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian-de-vie View Post
    I think this FBLA may not be as useful to you as you thought, if they had been any good, you would not have started your business yet, let alone posted in this thread.
    Are they funded by the US government ?
    I learned some valuable information by posting in this thread, so I do not think I lost anything.

See Post Below
    Last edited by Skylar MacMinn; 06-11-2008 at 10:31 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

FBLA Is both State and Federally funded, but mainly from grants through businesses. Its a great program, and it teaches high school students to excell in their own businesses. I've seen kids in my FBLA class start a lawn mowing service in their freshman year, and turned it into a full fledged landscaping company by their senior year. They encourage enterprise, as well as other aspects of business. I would vouch to say that the club advisor at his high school possibly encourages his actions, and has done (at least some of) the research into his venture. Weather it is 100% legal or not, I'm not arguing here, because this thread has gone WAY Off Topic.
      0 Not allowed!

I'm not a customer of Crissic and never seen their site until just now, but i have read a lot of threads about them including this one.

I don't know the law, i'm not even from the US but Crissic.. Keep up the good work mate, you seem to be doing a great job and have taken far more steps to ensure your business is legitimate then a lot of others.

All the best and i hope to see your company amongst the big names in the future.
      0 Not allowed!

Just curious, have you ever considered the fact that while I am almost 16, I also just so happen to be rather successful? Please don't jump into topics that you have no relation to and definatally do not try to bash other webhosts. Not what I would consider the "mature" thing to do.
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showpo...82&postcount=8

I get the sense that you have a very inflated ego, and any criticism is perceived as an attack at your business.

Thats a bunch of bull. I'm 15 and I applied for an LLC with the Secretary of State, they gave it to me. I even talked with them and they said that was fine. DOL said it as well as I had to register with them as well.
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showpo...2&postcount=12

Quote Originally Posted by bryonhost1 View Post
    Hi!
    Sorry to come in on this late.

Crissic Stated:

"Thats a bunch of bull. I'm 15 and I applied for an LLC with the Secretary of State, they gave it to me."

Funny..he told me his mother had to co-sign for it as well.

Kinda forgot to share that part of the story, eh?

Bryon
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showpo...8&postcount=27

Interesting. In that thread you never refuted that claim.

Let's hope for your sake that no legal issues arise with your company before you turn 18.

-fin
    Thales
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by 1boss1 View Post
    I'm not a customer of Crissic and never seen their site until just now, but i have read a lot of threads about them including this one.

I don't know the law, i'm not even from the US but Crissic.. Keep up the good work mate, you seem to be doing a great job and have taken far more steps to ensure your business is legitimate then a lot of others.

All the best and i hope to see your company amongst the big names in the future.
    Hmmm,

is that 'More Legitimate', or 'Less Ilegitimate' ?

Never mind as every day goes by, he becomes 'Less of a Minor'

From his point of view it is understandable that when he is of age, he will have learnt many lesson to help him run his business, the direct concern is those that may pay the price of his education, ie the customers.
    Indirectly he can be seen as advocating that 'Any Kid can 'do it', when we all know the reality is only very few should even consider it.

Personaly I am concerned that he's been educated by this thread instead of his 'mentors'.
    His mentors should be pulling in the reigns, not us in a public forum.

And for you US chaps, it's at least partly your tax money thats being spent on not realing in the reigns.

It is all a bit frustrating, but to get it back on track, judging who & how to employ is a mind field. With respect for 'age' always insist on some formal proof, it's your responsability to do so.

A little sideways, but still on the threads topic:
    How easy is it to break the UK 'ageist' laws ?
    anybody have any comments ?

"With an extensive history in web hosting management and technical support, Mr. MacMinn decided he would want to start a web hosting company that provided customers what they paid for – quality technical support with a smile – which became Crissic Solutions."

How extensive can his history in web-hosting management and technical support be? I don't think it too presumptuous to say that this statement has guided people in their hosting decision, so is it fallacious?

-fin
    Thales
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Thales View Post
    "With an extensive history in web hosting management and technical support, Mr. MacMinn decided he would want to start a web hosting company that provided customers what they paid for – quality technical support with a smile – which became Crissic Solutions."

How extensive can his history in web-hosting management and technical support be? I don't think it too presumptuous to say that this statement has guided people in their hosting decision, so is it fallacious?

-fin
    Thales
    He can't say that, it's Master MacMinn , he's not a Mr., for a further 2 years plus.

Hmmm,

Yes i have read the thread, simply pointing out he has done more then many hosts who buy a template, a reseller package and that's the extent of their company.

the direct concern is those that may pay the price of his education, ie the customers.
    It's the customers responsibility to keep backups of their data, so no i wouldn't feel concerned because i keep backups. There's not much to switching DNS and uploading files elsewhere should something occur, it's pretty fundamental stuff.

Anyhow i just wanted to wish him luck, and all the best for the future.
      0 Not allowed!

Hmmm,

From his point of view it is understandable that when he is of age, he will have learnt many lesson to help him run his business, the direct concern is those that may pay the price of his BUSINESS education[not his or his customers technical education, that is NOT what we are talking about], ie the customers.
    Indirectly he can be seen as advocating that 'Any Kid can 'do it', when we all know the reality is only very few should even consider it.

Personaly I am concerned that he's been educated by this thread instead of his 'mentors'.
    His mentors should be pulling in the reigns, not us in a public forum.

And for you US chaps, it's at least partly your tax money thats being spent on not realing in the reigns.

It is all a bit frustrating, but to get it back on track, judging who & how to employ is a mind field. With respect for 'age' always insist on some formal proof, it's your responsability to do so.

A little sideways, but still on the threads topic:
    How easy is it to break the UK 'ageist' laws ?
    anybody have any comments ?
    I'm sorry if I have caused any confussion, I've ammended this post for simplicity, buy adding the text above in blue.

Quote Originally Posted by Thales View Post
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showpo...8&postcount=27

Interesting. In that thread you never refuted that claim.

Let's hope for your sake that no legal issues arise with your company before you turn 18.

-fin
    Thales
    Ah I must have overlooked that post, as I had many posts to keep up with.

I do not know where he insists I told him this as I have never discussed anything with him past this thread as far as I am aware. Let alone I have never told anybody that my mother co-signed on it at all.

She hadn't co-signed, but for the sake of clarification -- she does have her name as a governing member on the License.
      0 Not allowed!

Just as another side note, Burst requires any of its' resellers to be at least 18 years old.

-fin
    Thales
      0 Not allowed!

And back to square 1

Any Legal Contract requires that all parties be of 'legal age[for most that's 18]

If you are a Minor, you cannot enter into a legal contract.

This is the protection we 'Adults' give to you 'children', because we care !

So no provider can offer reseller acounts to a minor.

If a minor enters into an agreement with someone with the consent of their parents, it's still a legally binding contract.

Also, if the minor claims to be over 18, it's a legally binding contract, and the other person in the contract has the right to sue them.

As far as whether or not the LLC is legal because of his age, that's something for the state of Washington to decide, and not you.

I'd rather do business with a 15 year old that already has an LLC in his name than half of the other hosts in the world who aren't registered at all, and drop off the face of the planet when faced with debt.

0 Not allowed!

Oy, vey.

It's like the circular argument that just won't die.
    Jen Lepp
    “Customer service represents the heart of a brand in the hearts of its customers.” – Kate Nasser
      0 Not allowed!

So, as long as his parents consent to EVERY transaction that takes place, every contract he enters into, every direction his company takes it is legally binding!

I would like to point out that forming an LLC doesn't require quite as much paperwork, time or money now that we have services like LegalZoom. So, I would rather deal with a Sole Proprietorship run by an adult than an LLC run by a child.

Also, the state of Washington has already decided that it is not legal. Breaking the law is still breaking the law, just like dishonesty is dishonesty. Which is what Crissic was more than happy to lay on thick in his play at inspirational posts.

Also, for the love of God, let the thread die. He was proven to be fibbing, he made up, let the thread die.

-fin
    Thales
    Last edited by Thales; 06-25-2008 at 09:52 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

I think people fail to understand that an LLC doesn't mean anything if a company or business is intent on scamming people or running a poorly planned business (it doesn't offer any benefit to a client and doesn't mean they are whatsoever more experienced, honest or support friendly), especially if it's not a valid and enforceable one anyway.

All an LLC does is protect the company from having the assets of the owners and officers gone after in case of a law suit (that and some tax benefits are the primary reasons). If it's not valid, none of that matters or means anything anyway. That's not an advantage. Why would you feel more comfortable using a company that's protecting itself as an LLC or Corp, over say, a DBA of a business where the owner(s) have more to lose?

You pick a company based on what you feel about their skills, trust, ethics, reputation and the like, not whatever combination of letters follow their business/company name. An LLC, Corp, LLP, etc. status doesn't make a host any less or more trustworthy.

If you want to say you'd rather use an underaged owned host that doesn't hold a valid LLC over a scamming host, then sure, his LLC status and age don't make him a scammer and any day a scamming host is a bad bet. Who'd disagree with that? However, if you compared this to a reputable host ran by someone that has more knowledge (more knowledge comes with age and two people being of the same intellect that differ in the years of experience will always put the older person on top), then the comparison doesn't work and it would be deemed reckless to chose someone just to make a weird and irrelevant (and wrong) point based on a topic like this.

I honestly fail to understand the above point made. No one said "Go with a known scamming host and not this guy just because he's a kid". And, I really hope you don't think the choices are only those two. If I understood, he stated clearly his parents were not involved, so I don't see why people bring that point up to say that would make it valid. Moreover, I thought he said that he intends to remedy that issue by indeed having his parents involved, or an adult, which is a good plan to fix that issue.

Finally, that's not correct, if the minor claims to be over 18, it's NOT a legally binding contract. You can't just apply your personal feelings to modify the laws to work for you. Honestly, people trying to make their points by saying "I'd rather use a host ran by a kid, than a scammer or some clueless older person". Well, no kidding, who wouldn't, but how is that relevant? Seriously, when you start saying things like "As far as whether or not the LLC is legal because of his age, that's something for the state of Washington to decide, and not you.", it just really defeats the purpose of posting a reply. People weren't imposing their feelings on the topic to determine what is the law, and actual laws were cited. Why are you making excuses for this to seem like a fine idea for someone to do, and base it on comparing an invalid LLC ran business to a bad, scamming business?
    Last edited by Rob2132; 06-25-2008 at 10:15 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2132 View Post
    Finally, that's not correct, if the minor claims to be over 18, it's a NOT a legally binding contract. You can't just apply your personal feelings to modify the laws to work for you. Honestly, people trying to make their points by saying "I'd rather use a host ran by a kid, than a scammer or some clueless older person". Well, no kidding, who wouldn't, but how is that relevant?
    Look it up. During my minor ages, I entered into a few contracts claiming to be 18. Who flips the bill when children screw up? Their parents do. I learned that one the hard way, and have confirmed it with an attorney, a police officer, and a few websites.

It's relevant that I would rather enter into business with Skylar than other people, because you guys are painting him as a bad individual simply because of his age and/or the legal status of his LLC. I think to date i've only seen one negative complaint about him, and I do know a few people currently hosted by him that have nothing but good things to say. I've dealt with his staff in the past, and they're skilled people that know what they're doing.

After reading the negative posts, I even took a trip to his company blog, where I saw the exact direction he's hoping to take his business. He's not just some kid trying to make a quick buck, he's investing money to ensure that his business is one that will continue to be successful and thriving. He's proven to have a far greater maturity level than many others here trying to put him down.

Obviously we aren't going to change each others minds, and I realize I bumped an old thread, we should just put this behind us all... I know how the WHT mods are with closing threads that are going nowhere.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by HW-David View Post
    Look it up. During my minor ages, I entered into a few contracts claiming to be 18. Who flips the bill when children screw up? Their parents do. I learned that one the hard way, and have confirmed it with an attorney, a police officer, and a few websites.

It's relevant that I would rather enter into business with Skylar than other people, because you guys are painting him as a bad individual simply because of his age and/or the legal status of his LLC. I think to date i've only seen one negative complaint about him, and I do know a few people currently hosted by him that have nothing but good things to say. I've dealt with his staff in the past, and they're skilled people that know what they're doing.

After reading the negative posts, I even took a trip to his company blog, where I saw the exact direction he's hoping to take his business. He's not just some kid trying to make a quick buck, he's investing money to ensure that his business is one that will continue to be successful and thriving. He's proven to have a far greater maturity level than many others here trying to put him down.

Obviously we aren't going to change each others minds, and I realize I bumped an old thread, we should just put this behind us all... I know how the WHT mods are with closing threads that are going nowhere.
    No one is painting him as being bad, only pointing out that he is incorrect. Furthermore, I fail to see how anyone has shown a lack of maturity in this thread other than Skylar. He isn't being faulted for trying to be an entrepreneur at a young age, he jumped in to make a point, skewed some facts and tried to back out. Great, he isn't just trying to rob his customers, he's still conducting a business illegally, entering into contracts illegally... So, he is not a villain, but he knowlingly conducted his business incorrectly.

-fin
    Thales
      0 Not allowed!

You guys could go back and forth all week long about the exact same things that had been discussed on page two. My suggestion is just give it a break -- we all got the point page 2, and yes I did state that I would fix the items, but by constantly replying to a dead thread gets you guys nowhere other than making you guys look ignorant -- which I am sure you don't want to convey to others here at WHT.

I haven't replied to the thread any more because I knew I was just wasting my time, and others time. It really is about 8 pages old. So just get over yourselves and stop trying to prove the other person wrong, when you are both right in your own respects.
      0 Not allowed!

OK
    Why when this thread is going round in circles, do we end up back to square 1 ?

OK
    We never left square one to begin with. Its been a battle of who is right and wrong -- when it comes down to personal opinions.
      0 Not allowed!

OK
    How about we end the circle
      0 Not allowed!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345