Questions about Cloud vs VPS from a n00b

So here it is, I have been using a VPS provider for many years now. I'd like to move away from their ups and downs and downsize a bit but have the ability to scale to meet need in the most intuitive way possible.

My problem is that i am used to CPanel and FTP and all this terminal pushing files and stuff is getting a little too confusing. How should someone new like me approach this? Is there such thing as a TRUE Cloud server with a great managing gui like CPanel and the ability to upload files using the FTP port or some FTP program that can mimic terminal?

Hmmm. I think maybe we have some nomenclature mix ups here.

The cloud is the platform -- replaces the VPS and acts in a manner that's very similar to a VPS. Most cloud hosting comes with a control panel that allows you to resize and adjust your VM as needed. The most popular control panel is probably solusVM when it comes to managing the 'underlying' portion of your cloud VPS.

The second part of what you're asking for, cPanel, is just an application. You can install it on a dedi, a VPS, a cloud VPS or whatever linux installation you want.

So to summarize, you can most definitely get all of the benefits of the cloud and retain the management ability of cPanel. Nearly all of the providers out there will offer cPanel on their cloud.

Best,
    Dave
    Cheap VPS Hosting with minimum 99.9% SLA.
    State College, PA VPS Hosting

Dave answered your query perfectly. You would never know the difference besides the obvious advantages of dynamic resizing. You can go about your business and admin your server like any vps. All the cloud redundancy & magic would happen in the background.

Thanks guys.
    Why is it that most cloud providers like RackspaceCloud and others provide either bare bones offerings or one thats so closed off. I want to be able to find a somewhate "Managed Cloud" offering where it'll be setup with all the stacks I require (PHP, MYSQL, etc etc) and if I need to make a configuration to the server the support staff can do that - including upping usage.

Do i have to build my PHP websites a certain way to utilize the dynamic resizing capabilities?

Quote Originally Posted by alexdrk View Post
    Thanks guys.
    Why is it that most cloud providers like RackspaceCloud and others provide either bare bones offerings or one thats so closed off. I want to be able to find a somewhate "Managed Cloud" offering where it'll be setup with all the stacks I require (PHP, MYSQL, etc etc) and if I need to make a configuration to the server the support staff can do that - including upping usage.

Do i have to build my PHP websites a certain way to utilize the dynamic resizing capabilities?
    Places like Rackspace has a very specific client they are targetting normally enterprise clients who are using custom applications or developers who are creating applications based off a predefined platform. The rest of us who handle general cloud are happy to install cPanel in the cloud for clients.
    Synersis Media | Boutique Technology Marketing Agency

Quote Originally Posted by alexdrk View Post
    Thanks guys.

Most of the cloud vendors on WHT will be delighted to assist with stack installations and dynamic resizing of VPS instances. Make sure you look for managed cloud hosting -- that's what should be included if it's called managed.

Best,
    Dave
    Cheap VPS Hosting with minimum 99.9% SLA.
    State College, PA VPS Hosting

alexdrk,

Also most providers provide management for an extra fee, so its always worth contacting any companies you are considering and asking them about it, even if you do not see it on their website etc.
    Old School Web Hoster
    138Media LTD (Media and Consulting)

I'd like to add a question.

With cloud hosting, one can arbitrarily upgrade or downgrade the level of service (nodes). Is it possible to do the same with VPS?

Quote Originally Posted by macdonald79 View Post
    I'd like to add a question.

With cloud hosting, one can arbitrarily upgrade or downgrade the level of service (nodes). Is it possible to do the same with VPS?
    Technically yes. Realistically, since a lot of people use off the shelf SolusVM+WHMCS combo, it'll be rare. Maybe one day....

Remember guys, true cloud is very redudant unlike VPS.
    True cloud has replicated SAN storage, VPS has just local storage, maybe some NFS. True cloud offer much more features, which can't be found on VPS.

As Ronis said, true cloud is much more reduntant than your typical VPS. However, Cloud based VMs (or Cloud based VPS) are something that is becoming increasingly interesting for many. You get the high availability (SAN & HA replication, blade centers and such running as the backend) and ease of scalability because of the way infrastractures are rolled out.

Standard VPS solutions are bound to disappear in the time to come.

Essentially, what I would be looking for is the redundancy features for storage and accessibility with hopes of having variability in sizing the resources on the fly. With that said, it also has to be very easy to hosting accounts under one umbrella like CPanel and easily FTP files into it or have a better file management system then using Terminal.

The company would have to be very active on Twitter and have great feedback and years of service.

Any suggestions?