Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Where to start with SEO?

So I recently started working for a company that has a quality product in a highly competitive market. There is literally no SEO or marketing done for their websites. I have taken it upon myself to delve into this world and see what I can contribute, this is not my primary role but there is a clear need for someone to take the lead on this.

I do have a google adwords campaign started, I have done a lot of research before starting and have a targeted conservative campaign running so I am not really in need of any advice as far as adwords is concerned.

My question is where exactly does one start when it comes to SEO? There is sooo much information out there and everything seems to point to creating a blog and updating it constantly and getting other sites to backlink to mine? I am kinda confused here maybe due to over doing it on the research.

Any direction is much appreciated!

Thanks,
    Joe

There is sooooo much information out there about SEO you simply cannot take it all in. My recommendation is find a good reputable SEO "expert" that gives tips and information in a blog. Read through basic steps you can take to help your search engine visibility.

basic things like setting title tag, how your website is coded (order of content), img alt/title tags, sitemap, and I'm pretty sure Google even takes site speed to load into consideration now too.

Another thing that will help out is SEO friendly URLs

domain.com/?p=130 vs domain.com/product-name ... domain gives more hint of what it is about so it is ranked a little higher.

by no means am I an SEO expert, but just don't try to be a sponge and soak all the information up... take it one step at a time or you will completely overload yourself
    GarmanOnline | VPS Hosting | Dedicated Servers | Shared Hosting | Website Development
    Web Hosting: www.garmanonline.com | Personal Portfolio: www.patrickgarman.com
    Skype: garman.patrick | Google Talk: patrick [at] garmanonline.com

SEO for company site is much simple than marketing sites.. better target some keywords from the sites main activity.. use online tools and research on it before select. once accepted the start promoting on it.. build links through forum, bookmarking, directories ets.. also place adds on some popular sites.. use some budget for it

SEO in steps

To start with SEO for your site, i will suggest to do
    1.Start with Keyword research- select best keywords(high search volume low competition).

2.ON-page - Optimize your site's Meta Tags(title, description,keyword,Hx, Alt,url). Also optimize the contents, if the contents are already written rewrite it with the selected keywords repeated 3-5 times per 100 words.

3.Then start Off-page(linkbuilding)- linkbuilding is the process to get backlinks to your site, use the selected keywords as anchor text.Directory submission, article submission, social bookmarking,blog commenting, forum commenting, video submission are effective linkbuilding techniques.

Keep a watch on youe site's rank.Keep building links, More links= high rank.
    Last edited by writespeak; 10-18-2010 at 07:27 AM.

The things I do are:

- Quality content, Make usre your site is "worth" visiting to start with.
    - Keywords, Descriptions, Alt-tags etc, Make sure you target your keywords in your META tags and on the page itself. Dont over do this though.
    - Webmaster tools, Sign up for google webmaster tools.
    - Backlinks, Getting backlinks to your site is a must. Try and find site relevant to your site and get them to link to you. Review sites are good for this.
    - Directory submissions ( it cant hurt )

Essentially, You just need to get the name out there and somehow have your name associated with your targeted keywords. Backlinks can achieve this.

Theres no magical way to get top of google, bing etc.. But these steps certainly help you on the way.
    Live Chat Support Software for your Business website - IMsupporting.com

Just To Make Thing Short,

I think the biggest part in getting high SERP is just about LINK POPULARITY.

Get as many backlink as you can, probably from high PR domain and you will get a lot of SE traffic.

Just be careful not to over use this technique, If google feel being spammed, they will bann your site.

Well, participating in the forum related to your business leaving your signature will help you to generate a good backlinks to your site.
    Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | VPS Hosting | Dedicated Servers
    KeserHosting.Com

As a first stage, paying close to website usability metrics will help a lot.

Here is my 2 cents on starting with your seo.

First before you hire any company Google their name with ripoff, scam, ect. There are a lot shaddy seo companies. I run a site that reports scams online, believe me I know. Next, always talk to them on the phone and feel them out. Do they sound like they know what they are talking about, and how long does it take to get in contact with them? I do this all the time when meeting new people. It helps to play it safe.

If you want to do the seo yourself, which I do. I would do these following methods.

Directory Listings- Purchase directory listings for your site from Yahoo, DMOZ (free), Business, BOTW, JoeAnt, ect.

Article Marketing - Write some really good articles and submit them to popular article directories.

Social Media - Establish a good network on social media sites. They are so powerful for seo. Not to mention you might run it to some really good business contacts on their as well.

Guest Post - Contact webmasters and ask to write articles for them. Good way to get your name out there. Don't send emails asking for links; that may have worked in in 1996.

Be patient, seo takes time. I usually expect about 2-3 months before I see any good results. Contact a lot of people (I do). Don't spam them though. There are number of people I have met on here that helped me get my site networked with them For that I am very thankful!

All else fails hire me and I will help you out
    Best Web Hosting Service- Hosting Reviews
    Website Traffic Scams - Keep Your Money!

Hi, Joe

I think you have already had a good start as you have done thorough keywords research and targeted the suitable ones. For a general guide, I would like to recommend you to download Google-Search-Engine-Optimization-Starter-Guide.pdf for Google directly.

have a nice day,
    Men, women and kids air jordan shoes,
    air jordan fusion shoes shop online.

Thank you all for the posts, this is great information and gives me some of the direction I was looking for!

Thanks,
    Joe

Here's a few tips, etc.

• Nice design
    • Use at least XHTML 1.00 Transitional
    • Good content
    • Check all spelling and grammar
    • Good placement of keywords throughout the pages (text and named anchor links)
    • Have more one-way backlinks than reciprocal links
    • Backlinks from different C-class IPs may help
    • Try to get several backlinks from other sites in the same niche as your own

Hope this helps.
    HostXNow - Shared Web Hosting | Semi Dedicated Hosting | Enterprise Reseller Hosting | VPS Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by HostXNow View Post
    Here's a few tips, etc.

• Nice design
    • Use at least XHTML 1.00 Transitional
    • Good content
    • Check all spelling and grammar
    • Good placement of keywords throughout the pages (text and named anchor links)
    • Have more one-way backlinks than reciprocal links
    • Backlinks from different C-class IPs may help
    • Try to get several backlinks from other sites in the same niche as your own

Hope this helps.
    This is sound advice.

Remember to change your content on a regular basis too.

everyone here have giving great ideas on how to start with SEO and here's another 2 cents. youtube is very good cause the video tutorial are visual so it is easier to comprehend.

Quote Originally Posted by seomixi View Post

This is a very precious information: it's not the quantity, but the quality of links that matters!

Quote Originally Posted by seomixi View Post
    To start with SEO for your site, i will suggest to do
    1.Start with Keyword research- select best keywords(high search volume low competition).

2.ON-page - Optimize your site's Meta Tags...

3.Then start Off-page(linkbuilding)- linkbuilding is the process to get backlinks to your site, use the selected keywords as anchor text. Directory submission , article submission, social bookmarking,blog commenting, forum commenting, video submission are effective linkbuilding techniques.

Add to this using the right anchor text in the links to your site and you may rank higher for those words.

rank checking is quite useless now-a-days. Many search engines tailor the results based on your location, Previous searches and other bits and pieces attached to your account / IP

A result that shows up as 1st page for you on google for example, may appear as page 20 to someone else for the same search.

Rank checking is a waste of your own time.
    Live Chat Support Software for your Business website - IMsupporting.com

Some programs allow you to target with rank checking or serp checking. Also, your global rank gives you some indication on your SEO progress.

SEO) is a sophisticated set of related processes that require significant levels of expertise and commitment to be successful.

start with the On Page optimization process first, invest on your content ....then you can start learning about off page tactics
    best of luck!

It takes many years to be good enough to do SEO for you own site(s). If you don't have the time to learn it and want your site(s) to rank better NOW, you'd be better off just finding an SEO company that has a lot of experience i.e. the longer the company has been doing SEO, the better they we be at making your site(s) rank better.
    HostXNow - Shared Web Hosting | Semi Dedicated Hosting | Enterprise Reseller Hosting | VPS Hosting

Good SEO takes some skill, experience and infrastructure to do. But one should be familiar with the basics, before one engages a company outside.

A good test for your future SEO partner, would be to see how good they do rank on search engines with their own site. I am always amazed how some people offer their SEO services and they aren't even doing as good with their sites then I with mine.

First things first, check their keywords and see if they got good ones. Start with a great on-page optimization tactics then you create links. Build links in a constant velocity. Once you have seen an increase in traffic and ranking you could slow down with your Adwords.

- choose right keywords to target (use google's insight for search tool)
    - meta tags
    - article marketing with anchor text keyword links (find good sites that will publish articles or use article directories like ezinearticles, goarticles, google knol, etc.
    - keyword density ... use no more than 1 keyword per 100 words of text as this is frowned upon by search engines
    - link building through directory listings
    - press releases through services like prweb, send2press, etc.

...these are some basic ideas....
    Forrest Yingling -- WebNet Hosting LLC
    Leading ECommerce Hosting, ZenCart Hosting, PrestaShop Hosting and OSCommerce Hosting provider since 2004.

Buy ibusinesspromoter, or use demo version, I'm sure that this product will help you a lot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast