Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
    I'd actually have to guess that (at most) around half of 1% of the entire internet was down that day.

In the grand scheme of thing, that's still a lot of sites. We're talking ALL of Bluehost, most of Hostgator -- basically the entire cPanel division of a huge mega-company. I don't believe the vDeck division was harmed, nor were the yet-unmoved holdings (A Small Orange, etc).

I doubt it was more than 1%.

Godaddy going down would cause just a much damage, and their outages made press as well.
    See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go_Daddy#Service_outage

▲ ▲

WoltLab Dev
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by The_Dominator View Post
    Well, EIG is trying to use wikipedia as a marketing tool, mind you they are not the only one's, but they are trying to hide historical facts, actually i think EIG would rather have everyone think they don't exist
    This is basically my thoughts as well.

▲ ▲

WoltLab Dev
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by cd/home View Post
    Considering the DC only has on average 20,000U's of space within 8,500ft of raised floor
    FYI, the specs:

New Data Center Up And Running!
    Tuesday, March 8th, 2011

Its been many months since I last wrote on my blog – I apologize for that. Its been a very busy few months, but perhaps I can settle into a routine and write a little more often. I am writing today to finally announce that our new data center is up and going! Its the first data center that I have built and we did *MANY* things that are very nonstandard as far as cooling and power management. It really is a great to see it finally come to fruition and get some use. I thought you might be interested in a few facts about our new data center.

– Approximately 12,000 sq ft in size
    – 4.7 Megawatts of power available for use
    – 720 tons of cooling capacity installed (Can you say windtunnel!!)
    – Actually uses 100% outside air cooling for about 7.5 months per year (At significant power savings!!!)
    – 20488 U of total server space – (Total of 394 8′ cabinets full of computer equip)
    – 300,000 CFM of heat exhaustion out the roof (More important to get hot air out than cold air in!)
    – 2x 2 Megawatt generators (Room available to add a 3rd 2 megawatt generator)
    – 4x 750 KW UPS (Plus an addition pair on the outer edge if we end up needing it)
    – Has capacity to deliver up to 15 KW of power per cabinet with proper cooling ready to go
    – 36″ raised floor across the entire datacenter
    – 4 separate physical fibre lines brought directly into building through two diverse entrances with access to all major IP/transit providers
    – Keycard/Hand scanner access for each hot aisle and each cold aisle as well as cameras for each aisle
    – Complete isolation of hot and cold aisles
    – Variable on the fly settings/tunables for exhaust fans, supply fans, heat exchanges (To heat up the air when outside air is too cold), chiller pumps, CRAC units. Everything literally adjusts itself every 30 seconds automatically so that you never pay for too much cooling and never cool air when its less expensive to use outside air. Its really an AMAZING system!
    – $8.5 million to build (An existing outer building) – That is actually really inexpensive for the capacity/features we got out of it! Thanks to Noel for getting the price so low and under budget! The engineers told us it would be impossible to build for the price we wanted – to them I say

I really need to go in and take some pictures to show how it works. I know most of you just want your hosting to work better and I promise this new data center will help uptimes be better!

The data center is actually not owned by Bluehost/Hostmonster. I built this to be a separate business entity completely. Bluehost/Hostmonster actually only take 25% of the total capacity of this data center. I guess what I am saying is that if you need data center space give me a call! We have 15,000 U available right now in a brand new data center. We also sell bandwidth for very very inexpensive prices and never make you sign a long term contract. You can buy 500 megs or 20 gigs of bandwidth a month with no commitment at all on bandwidth or term. Who else does that?

Now that its done I find myself wondering how big the next one will be? If this one goes well I would like to build a 75,000 ft facility. I think I already found the land for it

Thanks,
    Matt Heaton / Founder Bluehost.com/Hostmonster.com
    That datacenter is crap.

And now you know who to blame.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||
      1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Terrence-J View Post
    I really don't understand why so many WHT users hates EIG so much?? if you are not happy with the services move.. at the end of the day they will still be making money regardless of what you think about them.
    Some people really need to get a life... just my 2/ct..
    The SOBs screwed me 3 times, buying out my host, and raping the servers (and therefore my sites). Because of the cloak-and-dagger nature of EIG in those days, we didn't know until it was too late, and were being "upgraded".

That's why.

They're not allowed to hide anymore.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||
      2 Not allowed!

FYI, the specs:

That datacenter is crap.

The specs on that list are a little different to what is listed on the ACE DC website which claims only 8,500ft of raised floor space. The rack numbers appear some what the same the cabinets are 52U which over 394 gives 20488U over the entire facility and considering you might have Switches, UPS, Backup servers, and god knows what else in the racks brings the usable rack server space down. In the grand scheme of things the facility is only small.
      0 Not allowed!

FYI, the specs:

That datacenter is crap.

Not sure how you can say that those specs are crap??? I can only assume that was some sort of sarcastic statement.
    Sounds good to me, and I actually have experience running and building datacenters.
    EasyDCIM.com - DataCenter Infrastructure Management - HELLO DEDICATED SERVER & COLO PROVIDERS! - Reach Me: chris@easydcim.com
    Bandwidth Billing | Inventory & Asset Management | Server Control
    Order Forms | Reboots | IPMI Control | IP Management | Reverse&Forward DNS | Rack Management
      0 Not allowed!

The specs may be fine -- but that specific DC is still crap.
    || Need a good host?
    ||
      1 Not allowed!

The specs may be fine -- but that specific DC is still crap.
    After looking at it on Google maps it's not really a place I'd use it appears theres a lake at the back with a train line at the front and the perimeter security is well... non-existent it just looks like a building located on a side walk.
      1 Not allowed!

FYI, the specs:

That datacenter is crap.

I love EIG bashing as the next person here but that datacenter doesn't sound like crap. There have been many major datacenter outages over the years. The EIG based ones are just one of the many that have happened for a variety of reasons. There has been many very reputable providers on the list that have had problems in the past.

I'm also not sure if I'd call it super small either. It could easily fit 10,000 servers.

Anyways... Carry on let the EIG bashing continue!
    Tony B. - Chief Executive Officer
    Hawk Host Inc. Proudly serving websites since 2004
    Quality Shared and Cloud Hosting
    PHP 5.2.x - PHP 8.1.X Support!
      1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyB View Post
    Anyways... Carry on
    Or we could close the thread.
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.
      1 Not allowed!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234