Bump up from a vps... How hard is it?

I keep telling myself that i am going to do a dedi one day. I have some experience with vps harding and such. Keyword there is "some". I really want to try and do this. Not sure about all the buzz words and stuff but I can google.

I have been building and hosting sites since around 2000 and I have never had a dedi. Sure I use to pay for single hosting godaddy. man lol Then I got into reseller hosting. With gearhost, voxtreme, bluehost & dathorn ect ect. Then I bumped up to vps around 2004 or 2005. I still kept some of the reseller packages open from what i remember till i got use to the vps.

Anyway I was messing with cpanel installs over on Digital Ocean because I do have some putty skills. You needed them back when vox was up and running. Cpanel is not the hard to install I think I can do this.

Now I don't know jack but i want to try... Where do you guys think is best to start out? I mean I don't want to spend a fortune but is there any understanding hosts? I don't want my newbie self to knock anyone down or something.

Do you guys have any pointers?

tia...

Dooo it! I mean, if it's something you've always wanted to do, and you're ready to learn something new, Dive in!

Let's start with the server. Seems like you've got a history with cPanel, but if you want a little peace of mind, you might consider a managed dedicated server, that way you'd have the provider to fall back on if something really drastic happens. You'd still be able to work on your server, but with a little bit more comfort, however you should expect to pay more for that comfort level.

If you're okay with having a self-managed server, and want to go through the installs, and learn a little more about hardening a dedicated server, take a look at ServerComplete (.com). For $55/month you can pick up a Dell rack server, dual quad core CPU with 24gb of RAM, and their HDD's are of good quality, From what it sounds like you're hosting, you'll have plenty of power to spare. You can also pick up a cPanel license from them too. Plus the owner is a member here, and they've been around quite a while, so there's no worries about stability. I have one of those same machines to handle some work tasks, and I haven't been let down yet. The cPanel install launches with 3 commands, but optimizing it will take some work, so if you're ready to learn as you go, salud! Have a blast.

Thanks for the advise/recommendation. I would like to set up some sort of visualization on the server. Does this change the recommendation any for the server?

What would I need server wise (specs) to do this? If im going to do this I might as well try to set up something like solusvm.

There wont be a lot of resources being used by me. I think just installing and getting this all up and running is what I am really looking for. (Read this as "if I can")

Also how long are the contracts to rent a server? I know some of the vps I could turn off with an email. Some I had to give 30 days ect ect...

My interest in this is... I will be able to run my own hosting company one day from a dedi or so and not a vps.

Adding a virtualization layer does change things up a bit. You'd have to set that up prior to doing anything with cPanel installations.

Fair warning, though -- it's not as easy as you'd think to operate a VPS hosting business. I'm not trying to put a damper on something you've always wanted to do. I'm telling you this because there are some things about SolusVM that are ... odd ... and if you purchase a self-managed dedicated server, you'd be responsible for isolating and correcting whatever's broken, not to mention handling kernel updates, maintaining security of the node, and if your goal is to offer VPS hosting to clients, start with a self-managed server, go through a SolusVM installation with OpenVZ as your means of virtualization, and spool up a few VPS environments to learn with. Install cPanel on one of them. See how you feel about it, and if you're starting to feel in over your head, then consider adding on a management service. Give yourself enough time to learn on your own before advertising to potential clients. The absolute worst thing you could do is set up your SolusVM and start advertising the next day. It could mean your business.

Contracts to rent are usually monthly/quarterly/annually. Just depends who you go with.

That said, I would still look at ServerComplete's Nehalem L5520 server line to start off with. The CPUs are a little on the dated side but still darn quick. I virtualized mine using OpenVZ and keep it set aside for existing clients who want to set up something like cPanel DNS clustering, simple backup/storage, remote MySQL, that sort of thing. Most dedicated server providers will start you off with 5 useable I.P. addresses, so you'd be able to have 4 VPS's going off the bat, which is more than enough to learn with. Just take your time and come here (or to vpsboard.com) if you have questions. The most important thing though is not to rush into it. Take your time and get an idea of what you'll be getting into before you go all out. But do try nonetheless. :-)
    Last edited by Johnny Cache; 08-30-2014 at 01:45 PM.

Your a wealth of knowledge man. Thank you for your time.

A dedi has been on my list for a long time. I just feel that if I don't do it soon I might never do it. Hosting anything on it is doubtful, I just need a playground atm. My son is a dev and works for a big box store, building its website in Dallas. You know the drill... corps = The IBM WebSphere Application Server of which he is a vet now. So we been living on each others vps for years now with each other websites.

I just want to get my feet wet. Sure I can install on consumer junk here at the house but its not going to be the same. I am a per website guy and always have been. Its more money if we dev the sites and host them. I just want to play. I also have cash so that is going to help.

I just don't want to get caught up in a long contract. Better yet get DoS and or DDoS attacked and blow my darn budget. So I need to make sure that doesn't happen to me.

If i get bored with this I need to be able to shut it down. I will just be burning money to learn anyway. Really that's not a bad thing in my eyes.

So those are my main concerns with a dedi atm.
    Contracts
    DoS & DDoS

Do you have any info on those? I might be missing something too money wise. The total money figure hasn't reveled itself yet. I do like the prices so far over on SC. I am not sure of everything I would need to include in a plan to learn the right way. I also don't want to budget this amount and get caught with any overages. My girl will flip out on me... lol

Does that make since?
    Last edited by Chainsaw; 08-30-2014 at 02:25 PM. Reason: spelling

Sure it makes sense. SolusVM licenses are $10 per month usually, and then $12-$15 for a cPanel VPS license, For a dedicated server, you'd want to go through their ToS carefully, that way if you need to bail out for some reason, you'll know your options in advance.

If that's getting too pricey, you could have a near similar experience by going with a VPS rather than a dedicated server. You could still do a ground-up cPanel install, learn Linux, and then the VPS provider can mitigate a DoS for you should that ever happen. The only thing you would not be able to do is install SolusVM as the VPS provider takes care of all that behind-the-scenes.Everything else you mentioned can be accomplished on a VPS at about half the cost. Maybe this would be a better option for you ... as well as your wife. I know how that goes - my wife works for CapitalOne corporate.

Thanks again for your time. I went ahead a got that server a couple hours ago. I am still waiting for them to turn it up.

Now to decide which way to go with this thing.

If you are learning, and do not plan to sell virtual servers, perhaps try playing with something along the lines of Proxmox. Save the $10/mo and it gives you access to OpenVZ containers, and KVM virtualized servers.

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw View Post
    Thanks again for your time. I went ahead a got that server a couple hours ago. I am still waiting for them to turn it up.

Now to decide which way to go with this thing.
    Congrats! :-)

Good luck with your new dedicated server.

Specially 4 U
    Reseller Hosting: Boost Your Websites | Fully Managed KVM VPS: 3.20 - 5.00 Ghz, Pure Dedicated Power
    JoneSolutions.Com is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions, server management and services since 2001
    Debian|Ubuntu|cPanel|DirectAdmin|Enhance|Webuzo|Acronis|Estela|BitNinja|Nginx

Thanks guys. I am pretty stoked for an old man. Now I need to find some good threads for mitigating dos attacks and decide what control panel to use. This is more fun than a barrel of monkeys or better yet a girder & panel building set.