Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hetzner DELL PowerEdge R720 thoughts?

Do you think the new Hetzner offer DELL PowerEdge R720 is going to be popular ? After their cheapness they come with some real deal monster server ...

http://www.hetzner.de/en/hosting/pro...poweredge-r720
    QHoster.com - Web Hosting with DDoS Protection | Shared & Reseller in Europe/North America
    Linux/Windows RDP VPS 13 Locations : UK, US (5 states), Mexico, Canada, Bulgaria, Lithuania,
    Italy, France, Germany,Netherlands, Switzerland, Rissia, Singapore | OpenVPN/PPTP Enabled
    INSTANT | PayPal, Skrill, Payza, Bitcoin, WebMoney, Perfect Money, Ukash, CashU, paysafecard

Oh yeah, this is a really nice offer! But the one time fee of 199 EUR is a little bit heavy.

Again, i like hetzner a Lot.. But The traffic is a problem imo.. These boxes are "made" for vm's.. With The kind of bandwidth and ram/cpu combo The 10tb Will be gone soon enough..

In My opinion, hetzner Should connection their new (and this Big boxes) at 1gbit and offer at least 2-3x The traffic.

I don't think would popular
    The price isn't cheap and bandwith too low

We have many servers at Hetzner but i just dont understand the pricing for the new R720, 349 EUR/month ($460) ? Really ? And why force the SAS drives ?No default configs with SSD drives ? They should be all over OVHs new configs/pricing otherwise they will lose a lot of customers

Quote Originally Posted by softshop011 View Post
    We have many servers at Hetzner but i just dont understand the pricing for the new R720, 349 EUR/month ($460) ? Really ? And why force the SAS drives ?No default configs with SSD drives ? They should be all over OVHs new configs/pricing otherwise they will lose a lot of customers
    Yes seems big difference from $60 box to $460. Seems nice idea but little not-realistic with this starting price + setup fee.
    QHoster.com - Web Hosting with DDoS Protection | Shared & Reseller in Europe/North America
    Linux/Windows RDP VPS 13 Locations : UK, US (5 states), Mexico, Canada, Bulgaria, Lithuania,
    Italy, France, Germany,Netherlands, Switzerland, Rissia, Singapore | OpenVPN/PPTP Enabled
    INSTANT | PayPal, Skrill, Payza, Bitcoin, WebMoney, Perfect Money, Ukash, CashU, paysafecard

Thanks for all your thoughts guys. If anybody else has any tips/suggestions for us please let us know.

Quote Originally Posted by mazedk View Post
    In My opinion, hetzner Should connection their new (and this Big boxes) at 1gbit and offer at least 2-3x The traffic.
    We actually updated the offer to include 1Gbps, just like with our larger XS servers. Traffic is currently still 10TB, but we're considering increasing that as well. Thanks for the suggestion!

Quote Originally Posted by gueadi View Post
    I don't think would popular
    The price isn't cheap and bandwith too low
    As I wrote above, we increased the bandwidth to 1Gbps, thanks for letting us know you thought 100Mbps was too low.
    As for not being cheap, compared to our other servers it's not, but if you compare that hardware with what others are charging I think you'll find we offer very competitive pricing.

Quote Originally Posted by softshop011 View Post
    What's wrong with the pricing? As I wrote above, if you checkout other providers who offer such hardware you will generally find that they have higher prices.
    With SSDs, we're considering offering them and maybe even having them standard, so thanks for letting us know you'd like that.
    As for losing customers, we're doing quite well for ourselves, thanks

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Hetzner_Rep View Post
    Thanks for all your thoughts guys. If anybody else has any tips/suggestions for us please let us know.

We actually updated the offer to include 1Gbps, just like with our larger XS servers. Traffic is currently still 10TB, but we're considering increasing that as well. Thanks for the suggestion!

As I wrote above, we increased the bandwidth to 1Gbps, thanks for letting us know you thought 100Mbps was too low.
    As for not being cheap, compared to our other servers it's not, but if you compare that hardware with what others are charging I think you'll find we offer very competitive pricing.

What's wrong with the pricing? As I wrote above, if you checkout other providers who offer such hardware you will generally find that they have higher prices.
    With SSDs, we're considering offering them and maybe even having them standard, so thanks for letting us know you'd like that.
    As for losing customers, we're doing quite well for ourselves, thanks
    Very nice to see that you are taking the thoughts/ideas into consideration. Big thumbs up!

As for the SAS/SSD/SATA thing. The boxes you guys have that allows the user to pick their discs - like the EX 8S would be nice in this box.

For that kind of computing power people would maybe want to add 2x ssd discs for cache and the rest of the discs as storage - for a hypervisor boks. But again, with the limited bandwidth its soon to run out with the amount of users one could put on the box
    /maze

Hetzner has servers at all price points from E20 (Server Auctions) to E110 (EX 10) and then there is a sudden jump to E349. Something in between will be great - maybe a single processor E5 with 128GB RAM and SATA disks.

These boxes are "made" for vm's.. With The kind of bandwidth and ram/cpu combo The 10tb Will be gone soon enough..
    Disk space would be a problem before you go over 10TB bandwidth I'd say. The 2x600GB SAS doesn't give much room to grow, and upgrading it to the 8xSAS costs 150EUR + flexipack more

Quote Originally Posted by Flapadar View Post
    Disk space would be a problem before you go over 10TB bandwidth I'd say. The 2x600GB SAS doesn't give much room to grow, and upgrading it to the 8xSAS costs 150EUR + flexipack more
    Depends a lot on the content you are serving or services. But yeah, discspace poses a problem aswell.
    /maze

Depends a lot on the content you are serving or services. But yeah, discspace poses a problem aswell.
    I was going on the line of virtualisation to sell to clients( as you said it would be a powerhouse for it )

With 128GB RAM, 12 CPU cores and 24 threads, chances are resources will fill up like this:

1st: 2xSAS
    2nd: 1gbps uplink
    3rd: 8x SAS
    4th: CPU
    5th: RAM

Does depend on the clients, but the typical client base I'd expect that sort of thing happen with the resources

Thanks for the additional comments guys!

Quote Originally Posted by nikhil500 View Post
    Hetzner has servers at all price points from E20 (Server Auctions) to E110 (EX 10) and then there is a sudden jump to E349. Something in between will be great - maybe a single processor E5 with 128GB RAM and SATA disks.
    Good point. We do have our XS storage servers that fit in between them price-wise, but offering servers with hardware like you mentioned could work.

For that kind of computing power people would maybe want to add 2x ssd discs for cache and the rest of the discs as storage - for a hypervisor boks. But again, with the limited bandwidth its soon to run out with the amount of users one could put on the box
    We're considering offering SSDs and SATA HDDs as well, so if there is sufficient demand from clients we will change that.
    By the way, I'm assuming you meant limited traffic, as opposed to limited bandwidth being the biggest issue. Did you? We're also considering increasing the traffic (above 10TB). Again, it depends on the demand from clients.

Quote Originally Posted by Flapadar View Post
    The Dell server doesn't actually require the Flexi-pack, but the total drive space available is something that we could consider improving (by offering 3TB HDDs for instance).
    Again, depending on what we hear from our clients, we might make some changes to the product offering, so keep the suggestions coming

We're considering offering SSDs and SATA HDDs as well, so if there is sufficient demand from clients we will change that.
    By the way, I'm assuming you meant limited traffic, as opposed to limited bandwidth being the biggest issue. Did you? We're also considering increasing the traffic (above 10TB). Again, it depends on the demand from clients.
    Yeah, sorry ment traffic. 1Gbit is plenty. but 10tb is a little under 24 hrs of bursting in total.

Not sure what the "limits" of the bandwidth is in your dc's, i know your niche isnt high traffic servers. Considering how many users one could fit on the box if it had a few ssd's and 6x storage drives - then more traffic would be nice.
    /maze

I have 3 EX10 servers with Hetzner, paying around 600 EUR/mo (gbit, ssd). What I was thinking when I saw this is that it would be nice to have this with optional SSD drives instead of SAS and the one thing that noone really mentioned is: better CPU (E5-2687W/2690). If it would be around 600 EUR/mo with that configuration (and it already has gbit port now) I would actually go and swap probably. In this case I would only loose 64GB of ram, but actually having 128GB in one box instead 3x64GB is probably better for my app anyway.

Yeah, sorry ment traffic. 1Gbit is plenty. but 10tb is a little under 24 hrs of bursting in total.

Not sure what the "limits" of the bandwidth is in your dc's, i know your niche isnt high traffic servers. Considering how many users one could fit on the box if it had a few ssd's and 6x storage drives - then more traffic would be nice.
    You're right. High traffic servers isn't our niche, but we're expanding a little. When you offer a server like the Dell we have, then it make sense to have a certain amount of free traffic (although we offer complete Colocation Racks with less included traffic). It all comes down to what our clients are telling us they want/are willing to pay for. If we included more traffic we might have to raise the default price, and not everybody needs the traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by wizards View Post
    I have 3 EX10 servers with Hetzner, paying around 600 EUR/mo (gbit, ssd). What I was thinking when I saw this is that it would be nice to have this with optional SSD drives instead of SAS and the one thing that noone really mentioned is: better CPU (E5-2687W/2690). If it would be around 600 EUR/mo with that configuration (and it already has gbit port now) I would actually go and swap probably. In this case I would only loose 64GB of ram, but actually having 128GB in one box instead 3x64GB is probably better for my app anyway.
    Thanks for letting us know!

I like the server, but with a limit of 30 IPv4 will be a problem for virtualization.

at 349 EURO and excluding 19% VAT equals (349/1.19) = 293 EUROS and that is roughly $380/month
    Superb Houston/Los Angeles Colocation: LAYERHOST.COM https://www.layerhost.com/colocation
    *not affiliated, just recommendation*

Here's an update for any that are interested.

We tweaked the configuration of the Dell R720 server and it is now similar to the EX 8S we offer in that it does not come with pre-configured drives, meaning the client can pick up to 8 drives. We've also added 3TB Enterprise HDDs and both 300GB and 600GB SSDs to the mix, in addition to the 600GB SAS drives we already offered.
    Finally, the amount of RAM is also upgradable, in 32GB intervals, for a maximum of (currently) 384GB.

Please keep your feedback coming, it has been very good to hear from you all and I hope that we've shown that we really listen. We have been very pleasantly surprised as to the demand there is for such a product from us.

Here's an update for any that are interested.

We tweaked the configuration of the Dell R720 server and it is now similar to the EX 8S we offer in that it does not come with pre-configured drives, meaning the client can pick up to 8 drives. We've also added 3TB Enterprise HDDs and both 300GB and 600GB SSDs to the mix, in addition to the 600GB SAS drives we already offered.
    Finally, the amount of RAM is also upgradable, in 32GB intervals, for a maximum of (currently) 384GB.

Please keep your feedback coming, it has been very good to hear from you all and I hope that we've shown that we really listen. We have been very pleasantly surprised as to the demand there is for such a product from us.
    Which SSD models do you use? How do they compared to the SSD you use for the EX line?

Is Flexipack required to add options to this server (things like SSD, extra RAM, failover IP)?

Now if only you would open a US data center...

I haven't heard something like this. Can anyone detail me please?

When you offer a server like the Dell we have, then it make sense to have a certain amount of free traffic (although we offer complete Colocation Racks with less included traffic).
    Traffic is *never* free, unless the entire server is free.
    10 TB seems ridiculously low, especially for 1 gbit.

Wouldnt it actually be better to take 5 EX 4S servers for the same price ?
    You just need internal networking and you can setup a GOOD HA with ZFS or something similar !
    Webuzo - Multi user control panel supporting Apache, NGinx, MySQL, MariaDB, Percona, LiteSpeed, Varnish, WordPress, etc.
    Virtualizor - VPS Control Panel supporting OpenVZ, Xen, KVM and has 200+ OS Templates
    Softaculous - Auto Installer with 400+ scripts for Webuzo, cPanel, DirectAdmin, InterWorx, Plesk, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by alons View Post
    Wouldnt it actually be better to take 5 EX 4S servers for the same price ?
    You just need internal networking and you can setup a GOOD HA with ZFS or something similar !
    Yes it would, to someone who knows how to setup a proper load balance. Most people dont.

Quote Originally Posted by continuation View Post
    Which SSD models do you use? How do they compared to the SSD you use for the EX line?
    The SSDs we offer for the Dell servers are Dell-branded, meaning we cannot say what exact model they are (just as Dell cannot tell us).

Is Flexipack required to add options to this server (things like SSD, extra RAM, failover IP)?
    The Flexi-Pack is not required, it is included within the offer.

Now if only you would open a US data center...
    At this moment in time we are not looking at opening a US DC, but who knows what'll happen in a few years...

Quote Originally Posted by XTF0 View Post
    Traffic is *never* free, unless the entire server is free.
    10 TB seems ridiculously low, especially for 1 gbit.
    True about the "freeness" of traffic.
    As for the 10TB traffic, you'd be surprised at how few of our clients use more than that. Then again, if you really think it is ridiculously low then you're obviously not the type of client that would get a server from us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast