Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Switching from LiquidWeb VPS 2 Plan to new Smart VPS 1GB worth it?

Hello,

I have a LiquidWeb VPS 1 plan from July 2007. 100GB Space, 1024MB RAM 1.4TB Bandwidth shared 4-CPU, 4 IP's - $75/month. I am thinking of switching to the new Smart VPS 1GB 880MB RAM, 75GB space 1TB Bandwidth 1 CPU, 1 static IP.

Has anyone here made the switch and can tell me if it's worth the $15/month savings? The server is lightly used and been rock solid until someone (not me) upgraded cPanel in January from 11.25.0 to current stable . I only get $56/month from hosting Friends and Family websites and saving $15/month would be a big help, but before I do this and can't go back, I want to figure out all the advantages/dis-advanges of making the switch. This is my list so far.
    • Advantages:
    • $15/month savings

• dis-advantages
    • Loss of 3 IP's
    • 120MB less RAM
    • 1 CPU vs 4 shared CPU's
    • 25GB less space
    • 400GB less bandwidth
    • No PayPal option for payment

Missing anything else?

thanks all for the help
    Last edited by Mac Write; 05-16-2011 at 05:05 AM.

If you think you are not using all the resources like ram, cpu, space, etc... then you can even downgrade to some reseller hosting account.

It really depends on you.

Specially 4 U
    Reseller Hosting: Boost Your Websites | Fully Managed KVM VPS: 3.20 - 5.00 Ghz, Pure Dedicated Power
    JoneSolutions.Com is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions, server management and services since 2001
    Debian|Ubuntu|cPanel|DirectAdmin|Enhance|Webuzo|Acronis|Estela|BitNinja|Nginx

Oh I need the VPS for the control I have. The question is weather or not to switch to the new Smart VPS to save money.

Bump. This forum is really moving these days. Anyone using the new Smart VPS?

Smart servers are great. It really comes down to your priorities, and no one can answer that question for you. If saving $15.00 is good for you because you pinch your pennies go for it. If the other better fits your existing needs, go for it.

Only you can answer your riddle. Good luck sire!
    BLAZINGSWITCH | sales /@/ blazingswitch.com
    SEO HOSTING | 1500 CLASS-A/B/C | CLEAN IPv4 LEASING
    RESIDENTIAL IPS | 10G UNMETERED | IPV4 SOLUTION PROVIDER SINCE 2008

i dont think it's worth saving 15 bucks..
    Looking for shared or reseller or VPS Hosting ?
    Try our service at https://www.sosys.net!
    Singapore - Indonesia - Malaysia

I've been researching it some more and there is good/bad news. Good news, is that the new Smart VPS would have a dedicated single CPU (unsure of CPU speed) and dedicated 880MB of RAM vs 4x488mhz shared CPU of my current VPS that is 4 years old and shared 1024MB of RAM. Since I kicked my friend last year, the server hasn't been remotely maxing out.

From more investigation it seems the $15/month savings (aka breaking even as in I don't have to pay a dime for the server. I am on a fixed income so that $20/month I have to put in is allot out of my $125). So here's the breakdown
    • 120MB less RAM
    • 1 dedicated CPU vs shared 4 core 488mhz CPU
    • 25GB less space
    • 3 less IP's (I only have one SSL site at present the server hostname)

If the CPU say is 1.6GHZ vs 4 core 488mhz wouldn't that actually be faster then what I have now? I will eventually (uh it's been 10 years) start running 2 vbulletin forums, but it's mostly serving up e-mail at present with ASSP Deluxe.

Thanks again for all the advice. the $15 savings might actually give me a faster VPS…and that is something to ponder.
    Last edited by Mac Write; 05-28-2011 at 04:43 AM.

Well what's your current CPU and memory usage look like (if I remember correctly LiquidWeb had some nice graphs for charting usage in their client area). I'm assuming space and bandwidth are not a concern because 75GB is a lot of room and 1TB bandwidth is a lot of transfer.

Have you considered contacting LiquidWeb for some specs/details on the CPU? Also consider disk I/O because the chances are the newer servers will have newer drives and thus possibly a noticeable difference in read/write speeds.

Lastly, you've been a loyal customer for almost 4 years (pretty impressive these days) so I am sure they would be willing to setup some sort of trial for you to test out the server and make sure it suits your needs. While companies are usually against the idea of you downgrading and paying them less, the alternative is you could go to another host and leave them with nothing so it would be in their interest to work with you.
    -Joe @ Secure Dragon LLC.
    + OpenVZ Powered by Wyvern | KVM | cPanel Hosting | Backup VPSs | LowEndBoxes | DDOS Protection
    + Florida | Colorado | Illinois | California | Oregon | Georgia | New Jersey | Arizona | Texas

I was wrong it's 2TB bandwidth vs 1.4TB I have now. CPU usage at present is average .26 at the highest. I did ask about the CPU speed. I do have the coupon for the StormonDemand which I assume is an identical server so I am thinking of using that to test.

StormOnDemand looks solid and I would recommend that because I'm a sucker for clouds. The price is a little up there though so that's a concern also.
    + OpenVZ Powered by Wyvern | KVM | cPanel Hosting | Backup VPSs | LowEndBoxes | DDOS Protection
    + Florida | Colorado | Illinois | California | Oregon | Georgia | New Jersey | Arizona | Texas

I would use the $75 coupon to test out for a couple weeks, if it works, I would then go with the LiquidWeb Smart VPS as it would be the same thing at a better price (same company),

Actually the StormOnDemand and the Smart VPS are going to be different in terms of performance. I am pretty sure the Smart VPS uses local storage and their StormOnDemand uses a SAN thus the disk I/O will probably be much faster than local storage (if configured properly that is).

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Write View Post
    I would use the $75 coupon to test out for a couple weeks, if it works, I would then go with the LiquidWeb Smart VPS as it would be the same thing at a better price (same company),
    Could you post the results of free -m and top please.

The CPU isn't really 4x488mhz its just thats what you should be getting per core and the core is probably 2.0+ GHz. When company's measure with MHz or GHz to give to customers, it really makes no sense and does not help the customer at all.

Once you post a full free -m and top we should easily be able to tell you if you can support what you are running. We cannot say if it is a good idea or not because running your cpu at about .26 is not the only factor when looking into moving to a lower spec plan.

<<snipped>>
    Last edited by bear; 05-28-2011 at 07:36 PM.

Hear you go
    Code:
                                            total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
    Mem:                             1024        248        775          0          0          0
    -/+ buffers/cache:        248        775
    Swap:                                   0          0          0
    Code:
    top - 19:10:28 up 241 days, 21:18,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.00
    Tasks: 132 total,   1 running, 131 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
    Cpu(s):  0.2% us,  0.3% sy,  0.0% ni, 99.1% id,  0.4% wa,  0.0% hi,  0.0% si
    Mem:   1048576k total,   251172k used,   797404k free,        0k buffers
    Swap:        0k total,        0k used,        0k free,        0k cached
    I am seriously starting to think that the new VPS CPU will be faster then the shared I have now. I have seen the RAM near maxed out when I had my friends site on here. The other question I am asking myself is "for 25GB less space, and 120MB less RAM, to upgrade it will be $40/more a month"

The VPS 2 plan I am on is the $100 VPS plan -$10 promo-$15/month from $150 setup fee. That's why I upraded from the VPS1 I was paying $60 for.

Here is the CPU information
    Code:
    Total processors: 4
    Processor #1
    Vendor
    AuthenticAMD
    Name
    Dual-Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 2212
    Speed
    488.445 MHz
    Cache
    1024 KB
    Processor #2
    Vendor
    AuthenticAMD
    Name
    Speed
    488.445 MHz
    Cache
    1024 KB
    Processor #3
    Vendor
    AuthenticAMD
    Name
    Speed
    488.445 MHz
    Cache
    1024 KB
    Processor #4
    Vendor
    AuthenticAMD
    Name
    Speed
    488.445 MHz
    Cache
    1024 KB

Trying out the Storm on Demand 1GB and RAM is almost maxed out and nothing on the server yet! This makes me concerned.

That can't be right. Try rebooting the server and seeing if the RAM levels off.

On a clean boot 426MB used RAM. That is still too high. I don't use Fantastico, but it's installed and can't remove it. I also have yet to install ASSP which is on my live server as well.

Can you post the results of ps aux and free -m?

Alternatively you can have the LiquidWeb staff look at it as they are excellent in terms of support and knowledge.

Oh I know they are good and am talking with them. On my current server up over 250 days, it's sitting at 250MB used with no swap. while the just rebooted test server hit swap hard…this is very interesting.

Hmmm, sounds like they have a service or script set to run on start up that might be causing it.

I guess I have optimized my current VPS way too well. It does feel slower in loading WHM then the new server though.

Are you sure you're not looking at cached memory?

Running 100% of your memory is normal, it's usually all cached.

Also, the reason you didn't see that on your last VPS was probably because it was a Virtuozzo machine, disk cache sits on the host not in the VM.
    Steven Crothers
    No BS cloud engineer and Red Hat architect.

Correct it is Virtuozzo. How is Virtuozzo different then StormonDemand/Smart VPS? Virtuozzo uses less RAM?

Here is my memory usage
    New server
    Code:
    Current Memory Usage
                 total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
    Mem:        881288     485232     396056          0      24004     227004
    -/+ buffers/cache:     234224     647064
    Swap:      1959920          0    1959920
    Total:     2841208     485232    2355976
    old server
    Code:
    Current Memory Usage