BlueMile Cloud review - They Suck - BlueMileCloud.com - 1 Year hosting review

After working as a webmaster for more than 6 years and having used more than 60 web hosts, I though I have seen the worst until the company I was hosted with (FiveBean) was purchased by BlueMile Cloud or BlueMileCloud.com or Bluemile, Inc as they like to call themselves sometimes.

I signed up with them on 1/1/10, a new year offer I guess. Things were fine, I am also quite comfortable with cpanel/technology but had to create 2 odd tickets for the matter that were quite understandable and I don't blame them for that.

Than came the announcement that BlueMileCloud has purchased FiveBean on July 1, 2010. Things were fine as they never migrated to their so called "State-of-the-art Cloud hosting infrastructure".

But than they emailed their ex-FiveBean clients and told them they will be doing an "emergency migration" on Dec 9, 2010, snapshot of which is attached. They persuaded none of the data will be lost and one need not do anything if old nameservers are used and everything will be updated automatically. This is where I got trapped.

When I tried to reach my websites various days later to make some updates, I found that FTP is not working and all of my websites were offline for weeks. I opened a ticket with them and found that they didn't transferred my account in the migration and all of my data is lost (snapshot is attached). I was like, what? Are you kidding me?

There were no explanations and no backups as well. It was shocking and very hard to believe. I mean did they downloaded everything via ftp and than uploaded it to the new server. I could not believe a professional first generation web hosting company who claims to have so called "multi-million dollar cloud infrastructure" could do it. They can not even transfer a web server safely, must have hired interns, who knows.

It was a disaster. They didn't kept backups. Most of my websites lost their Dmoz listing, affiliate revenue and almost all of them got removed from search engines and stripped of pagerank.

Infact I was not the only one who suffered. I found various clients of theirs on the same server experienced the same.

BlueMile's feeble-minded adventure caused me losses of well over $8000. BlueMileCloud.com sucks big time.

Even worse they stopped replying to me (Snapshot is attached). They're terrible!

Technical know how - Pathetic
    Communication with customers - Pathetic
    Customer Support - Pathetic - They'll stop replying to you
    Support turn around time - Average (Few hours)
    Website loading time - Average

I'll give them - 1/10

I hope my review was helpful and you guys will do a better job choosing your web host next time or keep an eye on the acquirer if your web host is bought or merged.

I've already registered BlueMileCloudSucks.com, it will be live soon. And told my employee to create a FaceBook group and twitter account regarding the same.

P.S. - to not provide the domain names hosted for privacy concerns, I have attached all the relevant snapshots.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Support-Ticket.png   server-migration-email.png  

I feel your pain, but for the life of me I can't understand why people don't keep their own backups? We do nightly backups, but as OCD as I am, I still keep a separate backup of my own sites.
    Bayouspace Hosting
    Reliable, Full Featured cPanel Shared Hosting, with REAL 24/7 SUPPORT
    Established 11/2009, WHT member since 2003
    http://www.bayouspace.com

You are absolutely correct. That's why I have told my guys to keep monthly backups of every hosting account we have after this incident.

We used to have quarterly backups up until now.

Quote Originally Posted by bayouhost_tonya View Post
    I feel your pain, but for the life of me I can't understand why people don't keep their own backups? We do nightly backups, but as OCD as I am, I still keep a separate backup of my own sites.

Keeping backups should be a priority or you see what happens..you get tanked and it can cause major problems.

We keep daily backups on our machines and we also still have a Colorado Backup system on two machines with WN2000Pro.

Can't imagine anyone not keeping daily backups of their sites. It's one of our priorities.

People come in here and cry because they loose their sites, accounts etc because of no backups...now who does the blame go to with that one, certainly not the hosting company...go look in the mirror.

<<snipped>> We didn't lost the account because of no back ups. We lost them coz of the technological incapability and share lack of communication by BlueMile Cloud, the web hosting company involved.

They even didn't let us know that are websites were down for days. I can't imagine a web hosting company who can't even transfer a web server successfully. And even further, they didn't even know why the data was lost.

The only one who seems to be crying is you. We operate more than 3 thousands websites, into hardcore SEO. Its not easy to take daily backups for us with the amount of accounts and websites we maintain. We host them at different shared hosting accounts because of SEO reasons. May be you can do daily backups with the number of websites you operate, its not easy for us certainly.

Not keeping "Daily" backups is not a excuse for the web hosting companies to loose data and keep the websites down for weeks and not even communicate about it.

Quote Originally Posted by bruc View Post
    Keeping backups should be a priority or you see what happens..you get tanked and it can cause major problems.

We keep daily backups on our machines and we also still have a Colorado Backup system on two machines with WN2000Pro.

Can't imagine anyone not keeping daily backups of their sites. It's one of our priorities.

People come in here and cry because they loose their sites, accounts etc because of no backups...now who does the blame go to with that one, certainly not the hosting company...go look in the mirror.
    Last edited by bear; 01-07-2011 at 11:55 AM.

Your websites we down for weeks and you didn't do anything? I would have been with a different host within a couple days.

Are they going to compensate you in any form for the lost data?
    |||| ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
    |||| Top 10 Web Hosts - www.TopHostScout.com
    |||| ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

We moved most of the websites out the day we found out about it. And created new designs for which we didn't had the backup.

But the damage was done. Dmoz Listings gone, websites out of search engines, affiliate revenue lost. Not only it effects the revenue of the websites hosted there but also of the websites which are linked from the websites hosted there. More than $8000 lost. Just an example, we purchased a Dmoz listed PR5 website for $3500 that was hosted there. But now it has no PR, no Dmoz Listing and not indexed in search engines. Its worthless now.

Quote Originally Posted by Konrad4 View Post
    Your websites we down for weeks and you didn't do anything? I would have been with a different host within a couple days.

Are they going to compensate you in any form for the lost data?
    Last edited by j000000; 01-06-2011 at 10:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by j000000 View Post
    lol you just made some feeble-minded comments. We didn't lost the account because of no back ups. We lost them coz of the technological incapability and share lack of communication by BlueMile Cloud, the web hosting company involved.
    Chances are that their terms of service state that they are not responsible for losing your data... Most providers have such a clause. What this means is that you are responsible for having backups (no matter what the provider promises to do) and if the provider loses your data you really have nobody to blame but yourself for not having your own backups.

It sucks, I agree, but that's generally how it works. It's one of the reasons that I recommend always maintaining your own off-provider backups no matter who your provider is or what they promise.

They even didn't let us know that are websites were down for days.
    Chances are that they just monitor the servers themselves and not every domain on each server. Logistically it'd be near impossible to monitor each and every domain on a server effectively unless the server was very low population. I would question why you didn't have your own monitoring in place, such as Pingdom, if the uptime of your site was important to you. For a single domain you can get a free check from Pingdom on a 1 minute interval.

I can't imagine a web hosting company who can't even transfer a web server successfully. And even further, they didn't even know why the data was lost.
    When moving thousands or tens of thousands of accounts it's very easy for one to slip through the cracks. Any number of reasons can be the cause but I won't speculate as to what happened as there's no real way of knowing at this point. We've even had it happen when we were moving accounts from one server to another or one facility to another - and that's why we always keep the old servers online for at least 7 days and keep backups for as long as we can before taking it all offline. We ask our clients to check their sites and make sure that nothing is missing or broken.

Unless they simply didn't tell you the transfer was going to happen, and you just happened to one day notice your site was gone - why in the world did you not check after the transfer was completed? Now before you say "we have too many sites to XYZ" I remind you that your provider most certainly has more domains under their purview than you and whatever applies to you when it comes to the difficulty of making sure all sites are online, is magnified for them.

The only one who seems to be crying is you. We operate more than 3 thousands websites, into hardcore SEO. Its not easy to take daily backups for us with the amount of accounts and websites we maintain. We host them at different shared hosting accounts because of SEO reasons. May be you can do daily backups with the number of websites you operate, its not easy for us certainly.
    Well I can tell you that we host well over 3,000 domains and we easily keep daily backups of each and keep each restoration point for 28 days... If you want to do it, you can and will find a way to do it effectively.

Not keeping "Daily" backups is not a excuse for the web hosting companies to loose data and keep the websites down for weeks and not even communicate about it.
    It's unlikely that they even knew your data was lost, if they did I'm sure they probably would have gone back and transferred it manually before the old servers were taken offline and/or backups were deleted. When a provider makes a large move and then a month goes by with no complaints, they tend to not keep the old servers online "just in case" as most tend to notice if their site is not online very quickly.

In the future:
    1. Have some sort of monitoring, such as Pingdom.
    2. Keep your own off-provider backups, no matter who the provider is or what thye promise.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

lol you just made some feeble-minded comments. We didn't lost the account because of no back ups. We lost them coz of the technological incapability and share lack of communication by BlueMile Cloud, the web hosting company involved.

They even didn't let us know that are websites were down for days. I can't imagine a web hosting company who can't even transfer a web server successfully. And even further, they didn't even know why the data was lost.

You're the one crying not me. You don't monitor your sites to make sure they're online?

We certainly monitor our sites even closer if we know they were being moved, updated or whatever.

So long a downtime and you not know it...go look in the mirror again.

Just what kind of business do you run anyway....

Chances are that their terms of service state that they are not responsible for losing your data... Most providers have such a clause. What this means is that you are responsible for having backups (no matter what the provider promises to do) and if the provider loses your data you really have nobody to blame but yourself for not having your own backups.

It sucks, I agree, but that's generally how it works. It's one of the reasons that I recommend always maintaining your own off-provider backups no matter who your provider is or what they promise.
    TOS **** is nice.

Chances are that they just monitor the servers themselves and not every domain on each server. Logistically it'd be near impossible to monitor each and every domain on a server effectively unless the server was very low population. I would question why you didn't have your own monitoring in place, such as Pingdom, if the uptime of your site was important to you. For a single domain you can get a free check from Pingdom on a 1 minute interval.

Not a single domain, but about 50 or so domains were down; that included mine and some other accounts on the same server.

Yeah, we should have some type of uptime monitoring service. But lessons learned and its already in place.

Unless they simply didn't tell you the transfer was going to happen, and you just happened to one day notice your site was gone - why in the world did you not check after the transfer was completed? Now before you say "we have too many sites to XYZ" I remind you that your provider most certainly has more domains under their purview than you and whatever applies to you when it comes to the difficulty of making sure all sites are online, is magnified for them.

Because they said that it will be done automatically.

Not really, its not because of difficulty level. Its coz of other reasons.

Well I can tell you that we host well over 3,000 domains and we easily keep daily backups of each and keep each restoration point for 28 days... If you want to do it, you can and will find a way to do it effectively.

Of course it would have been easy if all of them were hosted on 1-2-3-4 ded. servers.

Uptime monitoring is already in place!

Just what kind of business do you run anyway....

Financial lead generation (mostly Insurance)
    Last edited by j000000; 01-06-2011 at 10:53 PM.

I was caught up in the save fivebean / bluemile switchover, I was planning on dumping them just because fivebean was so good, that's one of the reasons I had stayed so long.
    But, to my surprise, bluemile has been so GOOD, I haven't left. I've had the opposite experience.
    I've also been keeping backups all along, too (no matter how "good", budget is budget).
    Of course, if I were paying 2000.00 / mo, I'd still keep my customers backups because, well...they are my customers. If I can't open a dir and tell a client "I'm staring at your backed-up files", I'm not satisfied. I don't like taking someone's word that my data is safe.
    I don't let someone else carry around my Drivers License either. Never know when you may need it.
    This is the best signature in the world....Tribute!
    (It is not the best signature in the world, no. This is just a tribute)

8000$ is a lot of money to lose, and obviously I can't tell or wouldn't have been able to tell if your face was as red as a tomato. But personally, if this happened to me I would cry if I lost that revenue. lol. And if I was making that sort of revenue I would contact an attorney. You would have to prove with financial records that you were expected to make the set amount, and also you can't put a dollar amount on pagerank. Some say pagerank means nothing. But if I lost that kind of money I would see them in court.

Just out of curiosity, did blue-mile ever give you a specific reason why your files were not properly transferred? Yes, you should always keep your own back-ups, but its also important that the web host handle these types of situations accordingly.
    Looking for an awesome VPS Offer? CLICK HERE

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do." – Bruce Lee

Very unfortunate. Like most people have said, it is paramount that customers keep backups of all files, even databases. There is so much a host can do, whether they operate correctly or not, its 50/50, just like security is.

Just hope they explained to you why it all failed.

I can only say that take it as a lesson regarding back ups and importance of uptime monitoring since you have such important sites online. Sorry to hear your troubles mate.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience with BlueMile. What I can say is lesson learn. I also have the same experience (not having my own backup) at the past.
    [Hostegic] [Features: Softaculous | RvSitebuilder | R1Soft backups | LiteSpeed | Cloudlinux | CloudFlare]
    [Location: UK] [Platforms: Linux - cPanel | Windows - WebsitePanel/Plesk]
    [Solutions: Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Virtual Private Servers - Xen/OpenVZ]
    [Guarantees: 24/7 Helpdesk Support | 99.9% Uptime Guarantee | 30 Days Money Back Guarantee]

Not having backups is just plain malfeasance. What's it cost to do a simple rsync backup? $5, $10 per month?

Not being able to restore those backups, well that's another story.

Craig

TOS **** is nice.

Not a single domain, but about 50 or so domains were down; that included mine and some other accounts on the same server.

Yeah, we should have some type of uptime monitoring service. But lessons learned and its already in place.

Because they said that it will be done automatically.

Not really, its not because of difficulty level. Its coz of other reasons.

Of course it would have been easy if all of them were hosted on 1-2-3-4 ded. servers.

Uptime monitoring is already in place!

Financial lead generation (mostly Insurance)
    So CPA spammer then