Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    the things inside the data centre need to be designed and manufactured... the wind turbines need manufacture etc. green is a complicated business but the earth is an abundant place. surely the best place to start is for us to appreciate what we use and cut our wastage.

No, I'm saying that the more people use a service (any service), the more efficiently the provider of that service can provide it, and thereby decrease the cost to their users. Hiring a crew to do a one-time set up of a PV system and then firing them a week later when they're done, then hiring another crew to do it two months later somewhere else isn't efficient. You have to find a new crew each time, get a contract written each time, etc. If you've got lots of customers buying PV systems, you can have a few permanent crews, so you've only got to write that contract once, you don't have to keep hiring different people because the group you hired the last time was busy on another contract the next time you needed them, you've got a predictable incoming cash flow from customers, etc.
    This sounds like a like a liberal economist trying to rationalize obamacare. Lets increase access, and costs must decrease!
    How to spot a hosting reseller:
    a. ping "web-hosting-company".com. Search that IP at arin.net.

b. the company displayed by arin.net has full network and likely server control and is the real provider
    A 99.999% SLA means nothing when 90% of the service continuince is beyond the control of the reseller.
    RapidVPS - Intelligent and Reliable VPS Hosting since 2004

I highly doubt one could go 100% green unless the DC is near a river and they have their own dam. You need LOT (as in, 100's of acres) of solar panels to get just 1MW and in average 10 servers will use 1KW so a DC with 10,000 servers will probably use about 1MW. This is a rough estimate based on the wattage my own home servers use so it's not exactly accurate but gives an idea.

Now if a DC is also into nuclear power research and has their own reactor... maybe that could work. Not sure if nuclear energy is considered green though but it's most likely better then burning fuel and creating CO/CO2.

Quote Originally Posted by RapidRick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by petteyg359 View Post
    No, I'm saying that the more people use a service (any service), the more efficiently the provider of that service can provide it, and thereby decrease the cost to their users. Hiring a crew to do a one-time set up of a PV system and then firing them a week later when they're done, then hiring another crew to do it two months later somewhere else isn't efficient. You have to find a new crew each time, get a contract written each time, etc. If you've got lots of customers buying PV systems, you can have a few permanent crews, so you've only got to write that contract once, you don't have to keep hiring different people because the group you hired the last time was busy on another contract the next time you needed them, you've got a predictable incoming cash flow from customers, etc.
    This sounds like a like a liberal economist trying to rationalize obamacare. Lets increase access, and costs must decrease!
    That's a horrendously long stretch... Perhaps you could also discern from my post that rabid squirrels are planning to save the world by biting off the nuts of stupid people so that they can't reproduce? How is that in any way related to basic facts about supply and demand and scale?
    Last edited by petteyg359; 01-06-2011 at 09:52 PM.
    [GB ≠ GiB] [MB ≠ MiB] [kB ≠ kiB] [1000 ≠ 1024] [Giga ≠ gram] [Mega ≠ milli] [Kelvin ≠ kilo] [Byte ≠ bit]
    There is no millibit. There is no gram-bit. There is no Kelvin-Byte.

That's a horrendously long stretch... Perhaps you could also discern from my post that rabid squirrels are planning to save the world by biting off the nuts of stupid people so that they can't reproduce? How is that in any way related to basic facts about supply and demand and scale?
    Are government subsidies involved in any way in squirrel consumption?

However, government subsidizing "green energy" through the use of taxes/penalties is applicable to this discussion, and my analogy of obamacare is fitting in my opinion. It is the same basic premise.

b. the company displayed by arin.net has full network and likely server control and is the real provider
    A 99.999% SLA means nothing when 90% of the service continuince is beyond the control of the reseller.

Going Green as much as possible => You run a webhosting company by paying for a Virtual Private Server. (no electrical cost since the server owner is paying). You run a business center from your home or office that is being used for some other purpose as well so you dont need to show the costs there.

That itself would be going extremely green.

OR you could just grow trees, save paper and build a farm !

And run a vps again on the side - and being green.

This isn't 'going green' because your vps and your home office are emitting carbon. What if your home office has 1000watts of lighting and your vps node consumes 6A of power at the datacenter? If I understand you correctly, because your hosting costs are virtualized, they represent no carbon output? Is that really what you believe?

As for growing trees to offset your carbon output, this is the definition of the green scam and leads into the carbon credit scheme. This is Al Gore/Obama/CCX thinking.

Until someone can post a formula for attaining 'green' ( I am interested in that), any organization in this industry that emits carbon is not 'green'.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12