Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by ifyouwillit View Post
    We used to have generic 'WordPress hosting' as a product. The WordPress hosting was marketed as a WordPress hosting solution, but was indeed an auto-install of WordPress on top of our shared hosting infrastructure. That is now no longer the case (and hasn't been for some time). GoDaddy Managed WordPress is entirely different than 'WordPress hosting' that we used to offer.

As for cleaning sites... we have multiple levels of security that help protect against that. If the site gets hacked, some of the common options are:

Sucuri
    sucuri [dot] net

Wordfence
    WordPress repository

iThemes Security
    ithemes [dot] com/security/

SiteLock (re-sold by GoDaddy)
    <<snipped>>

While we have automatic daily DB and filesystem backups with a 30 day retention, there are currently no on-demand backups, although BUB works in legacy mode on our Managed platform (actively engaged with iThemes and Cory Miller to get better compatibility)
    Okay thanks, I've been hearing reports of 429 errors with your managed solution. Does GD limit bots that crawl WordPress sites? This will affect seo negatively if those errors occur

Edit: misunderstood. Never mind.
    Offshore Web Hosting, VPS Hosting & Dedicated Servers
    Protect your data & privacy.
    All servers are located in Luxembourg.
    W: beneluxservers.com | E: sales@beneluxservers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Maqabyah View Post
    Okay thanks, I've been hearing reports of 429 errors with your managed solution. Does GD limit bots that crawl WordPress sites? This will affect seo negatively if those errors occur
    Just checked with engineering. Here's how it breaks down:

Non-cached (non-static) content:
    15 requests / second (controlling for bad-actor bots and inefficiently coded sites).
    robots.txt file that's provided advises bots to wait 1 sec between requests.
    Higher trafficked sites are adjusted to allow for more requests.

Cached (Varnish) content:
    Effectively unlimited requests.

Hope that's helpful!

Just checked with engineering. Here's how it breaks down:

Non-cached (non-static) content:
    15 requests / second (controlling for bad-actor bots and inefficiently coded sites).
    robots.txt file that's provided advises bots to wait 1 sec between requests.
    Higher trafficked sites are adjusted to allow for more requests.

Cached (Varnish) content:
    Effectively unlimited requests.

Hope that's helpful!
    OK I see thanks

Quick addendum, it's 15 requests / per bot.

Quick addendum, it's 15 requests / per bot.
    How does GD determine the higher traffic sites, that will allow more request? What if I get a sudden spike for a few days, and more requests are made? Will that result in a 429 error?

Well played everyone

I don't have any experience with GoDaddy wordpress hosting, but I have found that many sites that I visit and/or customers' sites who have come from GoDaddy, frequently loaded slower than other sites. Having used Godaddy for domains for many years, I wasn't happy with their sales techniques or constantly trying to upsell me. They just feel like a used-car salesman who pounces on you as soon as you hit the lot.
    hostingDifferent---We're hostingDifferent.™
    Premium, Managed and DIY WordPress hosting DONE RIGHT.
    Find out what SERVICE really means!--We're hostingDifferent.

This Tests May Surprise You

I was doing some digging around, and came upon a series of tests which included GD'S managed solution, compared to the top players. What do you guys think about these results. Pretty interesting

http://reviewsignal.com/blog/2014/11...november-2014/

I was doing some digging around, and came upon a series of tests which included GD'S managed solution, compared to the top players. What do you guys think about these results. Pretty interesting

http://reviewsignal.com/blog/2014/11...november-2014/
    I wrote it. I think it's pretty accurate and you won't find any as comprehensive testing done anywhere else. But perhaps I'm biased about it's quality But the only knock people seem to have is that I do have affiliate agreements with some of the companies. But I publish the method, the full test results, anyone is welcome to take a look and form their own opinion. One of the load testing companies that I partnered with to do the testing analyzed the results (only the testing done through them) and published their opinion: http://loadstorm.com/2015/01/wordpre...b-performance/

I don't think the way they looked at it does a perfect job. For example, I think WebSynthesis did a lot better than they are made out to have done there. IIRC their results they only looked at the peak load time (10 minutes @ 2000 concurrent users). Web Synthesis had a spike or something right there and it made them look a lot worse than if you looked at the whole chart, error rates and response times. But that's a whole different set of people interpreting the results slightly differently.

Be aware though, that is performance testing only. That test doesn't measure the quality of support and other non performance metrics. If performance matters, it might be a good starting point to find a company. But you should vet the shortlist for other qualities as well.
    Kevin Ohashi - Founder of ReviewSignal.com - Honest Web Hosting Reviews
    Check out my 2021 WordPress Hosting Performance Benchmarks, the most comprehensive look at WP hosting performance

Quote Originally Posted by kohashi View Post
    I wrote it. I think it's pretty accurate and you won't find any as comprehensive testing done anywhere else. But perhaps I'm biased about it's quality But the only knock people seem to have is that I do have affiliate agreements with some of the companies. But I publish the method, the full test results, anyone is welcome to take a look and form their own opinion. One of the load testing companies that I partnered with to do the testing analyzed the results (only the testing done through them) and published their opinion: http://loadstorm.com/2015/01/wordpre...b-performance/

I don't think the way they looked at it does a perfect job. For example, I think WebSynthesis did a lot better than they are made out to have done there. IIRC their results they only looked at the peak load time (10 minutes @ 2000 concurrent users). Web Synthesis had a spike or something right there and it made them look a lot worse than if you looked at the whole chart, error rates and response times. But that's a whole different set of people interpreting the results slightly differently.

Be aware though, that is performance testing only. That test doesn't measure the quality of support and other non performance metrics. If performance matters, it might be a good starting point to find a company. But you should vet the shortlist for other qualities as well.
    Thanks for the in depth review. I haven't seen anyone else doing such a through review of these companies. There is a lot to think about here. Which brings me back to my first question, and why I started this thread. I had originally asked about GD vs WPE, and most had gave GD negative reviews. I take everyone's comment here into serious consideration in choosing my host.

I Know that you refrained from injecting your personal opinion within the article, but at this point it would be of great interest to me as to what yours is.

With the testing you have done, and back to my original question, whom would you recommend that I host my blog with? WPE is great, but is expensive, and counts bots as visitors to my site. Flywheel looks great, and doesn't count bots. GoDaddy, judging by these test, did well overall. Who would you recommend?

Thanks for the in depth review. I haven't seen anyone else doing such a through review of these companies. There is a lot to think about here. Which brings me back to my first question, and why I started this thread. I had originally asked about GD vs WPE, and most had gave GD negative reviews. I take everyone's comment here into serious consideration in choosing my host.

I Know that you refrained from injecting your personal opinion within the article, but at this point it would be of great interest to me as to what yours is.

With the testing you have done, and back to my original question, whom would you recommend that I host my blog with? WPE is great, but is expensive, and counts bots as visitors to my site. Flywheel looks great, and doesn't count bots. GoDaddy, judging by these test, did well overall. Who would you recommend?
    I really try to keep my personal opinion out of the public sphere because of what I do. I deal with all of these companies on a regular basis regardless of how well they perform or get reviewed. My personal opinion is just one opinion, I've built my business around looking at the bigger picture using tons of data and empirical measurements. So I try to advise from what I see that way rather than my own personal experience. Personal experience is often too variable.

Now that I've clear that up. If you're starting to grow and cost is an issue then WPEngine is on the pricier side of things. You can definitely get better performance per dollar/user elsewhere. Whether those companies have the same feature set that you absolutely require I can't say.

GoDaddy's WP offering from a performance standpoint was solid. FlyWheel's was as well. Looking at my other data set, GoDaddy has a lot worse reviews about the company than most of the other companies that get discussed. I know they've replaced a bunch of the upper staff, they've built some world class technology based on my testing and they aren't idiots. They're incredibly self aware of their reputation and the new team seems to be really trying to improve it. However, public opinion can have a really strong inertia and Bob Parsons left one hell of a legacy to try to recover from. Is it all talk? Can they really become a well liked company in the space? I don't know. They're certainly doing a great job marketing and growing their customer base despite the vitriol lobbed at them from many people in the tech/related communities. FlyWheel has absolutely insane reviews. It's near fanatic how good they are (I have never seen anything like it). My biggest worry about them is regression to the mean. I watched a lot of companies kick off with amazing reviews (WP Engine, Digital Ocean, Web Synthesis to name a few). They are still near the top of my tracking, but they've fallen a good bit from when they started. I suspect they all eventually fall victim to their own success. It's hard to maintain a world class organization (of any kind) and go through massive scaling. That's my biggest fear about FlyWheel based on the data I have and patterns I've seen. That said, TODAY it's an amazing company; and ultimately, no web host remains good forever.
    Check out my 2021 WordPress Hosting Performance Benchmarks, the most comprehensive look at WP hosting performance

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by kohashi View Post
    I really try to keep my personal opinion out of the public sphere because of what I do. I deal with all of these companies on a regular basis regardless of how well they perform or get reviewed. My personal opinion is just one opinion, I've built my business around looking at the bigger picture using tons of data and empirical measurements. So I try to advise from what I see that way rather than my own personal experience. Personal experience is often too variable.

Now that I've clear that up. If you're starting to grow and cost is an issue then WPEngine is on the pricier side of things. You can definitely get better performance per dollar/user elsewhere. Whether those companies have the same feature set that you absolutely require I can't say.

GoDaddy's WP offering from a performance standpoint was solid. FlyWheel's was as well. Looking at my other data set, GoDaddy has a lot worse reviews about the company than most of the other companies that get discussed. I know they've replaced a bunch of the upper staff, they've built some world class technology based on my testing and they aren't idiots. They're incredibly self aware of their reputation and the new team seems to be really trying to improve it. However, public opinion can have a really strong inertia and Bob Parsons left one hell of a legacy to try to recover from. Is it all talk? Can they really become a well liked company in the space? I don't know. They're certainly doing a great job marketing and growing their customer base despite the vitriol lobbed at them from many people in the tech/related communities. FlyWheel has absolutely insane reviews. It's near fanatic how good they are (I have never seen anything like it). My biggest worry about them is regression to the mean. I watched a lot of companies kick off with amazing reviews (WP Engine, Digital Ocean, Web Synthesis to name a few). They are still near the top of my tracking, but they've fallen a good bit from when they started. I suspect they all eventually fall victim to their own success. It's hard to maintain a world class organization (of any kind) and go through massive scaling. That's my biggest fear about FlyWheel based on the data I have and patterns I've seen. That said, TODAY it's an amazing company; and ultimately, no web host remains good forever.
    Thanks, your opinion really helped, and is well stated. I don't think I can go wrong with any of these companies listed. Security, performance and cost are my biggest concerns. With forums such as this, it can be a life-saver when a company's support falls through. I have some thinking to do, and thanks to everyone who gave their input

Thanks, your opinion really helped, and is well stated. I don't think I can go wrong with any of these companies listed. Security, performance and cost are my biggest concerns. With forums such as this, it can be a life-saver when a company's support falls through. I have some thinking to do, and thanks to everyone who gave their input
    I'm glad and I hope it works out well with whichever company you choose.

How does GD determine the higher traffic sites, that will allow more request? What if I get a sudden spike for a few days, and more requests are made? Will that result in a 429 error?
    Hey, got some more info on this. While I won't go into the exact specifics, I can say this...

An adjustment to a sudden spike will be made quickly (<10 mins). The system is designed to distribute the load of those requests to keep a high-request site performant. I.e., if your site gets to the top of reddit, MWP will keep up.

As always, there's never a replacement for a well-coded and technically efficient site. I'd love to follow up on any mentions of 429 errors (please post URLs if you have 'em).

429 Error could occur if Google (or any other robot) is not obeying the robots.txt file, or if that file has been removed AND is crawling faster than XX requests per non-cached page.

Hey, got some more info on this. While I won't go into the exact specifics, I can say this...

An adjustment to a sudden spike will be made quickly (<10 mins). The system is designed to distribute the load of those requests to keep a high-request site performant. I.e., if your site gets to the top of reddit, MWP will keep up.

As always, there's never a replacement for a well-coded and technically efficient site. I'd love to follow up on any mentions of 429 errors (please post URLs if you have 'em).

429 Error could occur if Google (or any other robot) is not obeying the robots.txt file, or if that file has been removed AND is crawling faster than XX requests per non-cached page.
    I see. It seems as if your hosting held together well in the testing that was performed, I posted the link already a few comments up.
    This link is from someone who said

http://www.3ptechies.com/reviews/hos...xperience.html

"I tried yet again and was lucky to meet someone knowledgeable enough to decode what those error messages represent.
    He explained to me that their servers are designed to prioritize human visitors above that of Bots, hence my server was getting ping request from search engines and had to be shut out from them."

another

http://webmasters.stackexchange.com/...aged-wordpress

I believe this was on your regular hosting plan

http://moz.com/community/q/429-errors

Ecommerce site

https://wordpress.org/support/topic/...29-crawl-error

https://www.odesk.com/o/jobs/job/_~01cec921ef819fdfd4/

Thumbs up made My Mind UP

Well since "ifyouwillit" hadn't responded to my last post,I've decided to go with Flywheel, I've already signed up, and awaiting my migration.

I did some research, and asked questions, and found Flywheel to suit my needs. I've been pleased with WP Engine, their performance and support has been great for me the past year, but I just cant deal with the overage charges. I know bots eat up resources as well, but the difference between Google Analytics and the way WPE counts visits is a deal breaker. So that's it, end of thread.

Thanks to everyone who commented to help me out.

Happy to hear that you found a new home and hopefully it's smooth sailing...and You're Welcome.

Good work. Flywheel is amazing.
    CapeWP.com
    CapeWP.com - WordPress for all of us

Well since "ifyouwillit" hadn't responded to my last post,I've decided to go with Flywheel, I've already signed up, and awaiting my migration.

I did some research, and asked questions, and found Flywheel to suit my needs. I've been pleased with WP Engine, their performance and support has been great for me the past year, but I just cant deal with the overage charges. I know bots eat up resources as well, but the difference between Google Analytics and the way WPE counts visits is a deal breaker. So that's it, end of thread.

Apologies Magabyah, I must have missed the last question. Regardless, great people over at Flywheel, they're buddies of mine.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12