I have these 2 CPU's need the rest of the hardware :)

Hi WHT

Im really not that great at finding hardware and what fits together and such. But i just got these 2 CPU's for free from my work, they have been in the store way to long to be sold. So now i just need to find the rest of the hardware that fits these 2

The cpus are 2x SLBV6 (Intel Xeon X5660) I need to find a mainboard and cooling and a fitting 1U cabinet for the machine.

If it was you that had these 2 CPU's what would you use them for. (My main idea is an Windows 2008 machine running IIS, WSUS, Small sql and such.

Or maybe if anybody is interested in offering a good price, i might sell them aswell

Your going to need a server motherboard that supports 2x FCLGA1366 (LGA1366) CPU sockets. Along side that you also will need RAM, 1U chassis, a power supply, hard drives, etc.

You're looking at spending a bunch of money to actually use those CPUs. You literally have 1 component of the many needed to build a server.

❄️❄️❄️ HOSTBLIZZARD.COM --- 100% Canadian Hosting Provider ❄️❄️❄️
    • Shared Hosting • Reseller Hosting • Cloud Hosting • VPS Servers • Domain Names
    a division of Sheernox Technology Group

Something like this would be a good start for those processors:

Just add those processors, some memory and drives and away you go!
    SimpleSonic - We Make Fast... Easy!
    US/UK/MY - 100% Uptime - Shared - Reseller - cPanel - DirectAdmin - WHMCS Included!
    Blazing Fast NVMe SSD - CloudLinux - Imunify360 - LiteSpeed - MailChannels - JetBackup

Try a HP G6 series, it's better Dell C1100

If I were you, I would sell those processors on ebay and order a new machine instead.
    If you really like them, you can look for HP Proliant G6 servers or Lenovo Thinkservers for instance.

Did you know that X5660 is actually End of Life ?

Quote Originally Posted by Eased View Post
    Your going to need a server motherboard that supports 2x FCLGA1366 (LGA1366) CPU sockets. Along side that you also will need RAM, 1U chassis, a power supply, hard drives, etc.

You're looking at spending a bunch of money to actually use those CPUs. You literally have 1 component of the many needed to build a server.
    It will cost you a heck of a lot to get that running, but if you have the money to spend getting that system running then I also agree you take a look at SuperMicro. They make pretty decent motherboards and the cases aren't bad (but if your on a budget you might want to look elsewhere). For my workstation (which has dual X5680's) I have the X8DAH+-F, but for a 1U server this is probably overkill as you wont be able to use any of the PCI-E slots. Take a look around on their site and find one that has the features you need.