Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Problems with Bluehost - Alternatives needed?

Currently with Bluehost....
    Plan: Platinum - paying - around $10-15 a month (not sure of what exactly)
    Must have:- 24/7 Support
    Ideally looking for a US host due to me hosting US websites.

Problems I have had:-

1. Assigned with a Blacklisted IP.
    2. Poor Spam filtering and blocking of incoming mail (on of my clients gets alot and I want to block it even before it hits her inbox as she uses auto replies - not sure if this is possible)
    3. Forced updates on my Joomla sites - They update my Joomla sites without permission as they say they are security risks.... Not sure if this is my fault?
    4. Server down time due to too many "files" - I only have 7 Joomla sites on there.... no Magento and all the sites are small - maximum of 10 pages each...
    5. All the "sites" are viewable as a folder of my main domain i.e. domain.com/site1 as well as site1.domain.com - I am not happy with this.... I think this is down to how Bluehost manage the hosting.

So based on what I have said - any recommendations...

I read this forum and based on that considered BigBrainGlobal - But I'm open to suggestions.

Cheers
    J

How long have you been with them? It seems that some of those problems they should be able to remedy such as the blacklisted IP And mail.

It sounds like 7 Joomla sites are more than their "Unlimited" hosting will allow. Beware of unlimited hosts and read their TOS as they all have limits.

Are you on a reseller plan for your clients? If not that would probably be the way to go or perhaps a VPS.

Good luck
    www.websitemagick.com "Add a little Magick to your Website"
    IwebNews.net

Hi music

I host loads of small sites for clients all on separate domains... I think the biggest problem is the number of sites/files.

I'm trying to avoid the cost of a VPS at this stage.

Yes I am well aware "unlimited" is a total lie! I feel this "marketing" should be illegal.

Who are you with.

Cheers

J

Are all of your sites hosted by Bluehost? If you are using different companies you may just want to migrate the Joomla sites to a more reliable host.

Again if you have numerous client accounts a reseller account might be what what you need. I've found that a cPanel VPS is extremely manageable and you can defray the cost to paying clients.

Again Good Luck and welcome to WHT.
    IwebNews.net

A few thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by always-learning View Post
    3. Forced updates on my Joomla sites - They update my Joomla sites without permission as they say they are security risks.... Not sure if this is my fault?
    I can see why you wouldn't want them to force those updates, and that may not be the right approach for them. Nevertheless, if Joomla releases updates for their core code or for a module, it is a security risk not to update. They are protecting you and the other users of the server by doing this. If they didn't, you should be just as prompt - especially if some of those sites are for clients. So I'm not sure this really is a problem. Just beat them to it!

4. Server down time due to too many "files" - I only have 7 Joomla sites on there.... no Magento and all the sites are small - maximum of 10 pages each...
    This isn't about the number of webpages on each installation. Rather, Joomla itself puts a lot of files on the server each time you install it. Bluehost have a limit on the number of files (inodes, in the speak) that you can have. 7 Joomla sites takes you over their limit.

5. All the "sites" are viewable as a folder of my main domain i.e. domain.com/site1 as well as site1.domain.com - I am not happy with this.... I think this is down to how Bluehost manage the hosting.
    Do they use cPanel? I think they do, but I know they've modified it slightly. Out of the box, cPanel lets you go to those add-on / subdomains and change which folder they are hosted from. Move them so that they aren't in a subfolder of public_html, and your problem goes away.

Quote Originally Posted by musicman153 View Post
    Again if you have numerous client accounts a reseller account might be what what you need. I've found that a cPanel VPS is extremely manageable and you can defray the cost to paying clients.
    I'd go further. If you are hosting any client sites, you should have a reseller account or a VPS so that each client is in their own cPanel login. Otherwise, if one site is attacked and compromised, all your clients' sites get hacked for free. This would not be what you'd want, so you should look to limit the damage with a reseller / VPS package.

All the best!
    Not as active on WHT as I used to be, but still drop in and receive email notifications from here.
    My personal blog site: https://www.oakleys.org.uk/blog

Quote Originally Posted by JamesOakley View Post
    I can see why you wouldn't want them to force those updates, and that may not be the right approach for them. Nevertheless, if Joomla releases updates for their core code or for a module, it is a security risk not to update. They are protecting you and the other users of the server by doing this. If they didn't, you should be just as prompt - especially if some of those sites are for clients. So I'm not sure this really is a problem. Just beat them to it!
    I totally agree - BUT - As a design we customise the CMS platforms we build on and sometimes the updates mean the sites do not work or display properly as they need work on them. Some clients do not want to pay so you are in a situation where you are doing sometimes quite a bit of work without getting paid. My old website company built sites for me and never updated the CMS platforms - they just left them as they said they would need to charge me to update them. You see where I am coming from?

This isn't about the number of webpages on each installation. Rather, Joomla itself puts a lot of files on the server each time you install it. Bluehost have a limit on the number of files (inodes, in the speak) that you can have. 7 Joomla sites takes you over their limit.
    Well aware of this - :-) - I hate this "unlimited" hosting as my clients say I can get unlimited hosting for $3-5 per month and we have to explain to them its a lie and try and compete....

Do they use cPanel? I think they do, but I know they've modified it slightly. Out of the box, cPanel lets you go to those add-on / subdomains and change which folder they are hosted from. Move them so that they aren't in a subfolder of public_html, and your problem goes away.
    I think it's based on Cpanel yes.... Not sure about this - will look later.

I'd go further. If you are hosting any client sites, you should have a reseller account or a VPS so that each client is in their own cPanel login. Otherwise, if one site is attacked and compromised, all your clients' sites get hacked for free. This would not be what you'd want, so you should look to limit the damage with a reseller / VPS package.
    I know I need a more but I think its time to switch to someone more reliable - this is why I am asking for people to make suggestions....

:-) Thank you for helping - I need help ;-)

I totally agree - BUT - As a design we customise the CMS platforms we build on and sometimes the updates mean the sites do not work or display properly as they need work on them. Some clients do not want to pay so you are in a situation where you are doing sometimes quite a bit of work without getting paid. My old website company built sites for me and never updated the CMS platforms - they just left them as they said they would need to charge me to update them. You see where I am coming from?

Hi,

I've worked with Joomla a few times, but I'm more of a WordPress guy. Are you not able to build a Joomla site that allows for core updates?

I know Joomla runs on a different structure, but with WordPress you have your core files and theme files. Core files are always updated (or suppose to be) while the theme files may not require an update.

i have face issue with they previous year

Quote Originally Posted by Codexdemon View Post
    i have face issue with they previous year
    What exactly happened to you - what did you do and where did you go?

Hi a-l, welcome to WHT!

Your experience with BlueHost is in-line with many "unlimited" and/or mass-market hosts who exhibit the kinds of issues you've described. Safe to say, I think moving on would be a good idea.

Since you're hosting 7 distinctly separate sites (for clients?), perhaps it would be desirable to isolate each a bit better than what you've got right now (as you hinted). You can go about this 2 ways. First, you could get a cPanel reseller account, which uses a special "parent" control panel called WHM to create and control "children" cPanel accounts, each being a separate and unique account for each of your seven sites. Or second, you could use regular shared hosting but just opt for a host who uses a control panel with better multi-domain support than cPanel, such as DirectAdmin, InterWorx, Plesk or H-Sphere. The reseller account will be slightly more per month starting out, whereas the alternate shared account you could do for about the same as you're paying now, just with a much better shared host.

For cPanel reseller accounts, check out Dathorn, InnoHosting and even though they're a bit more pricey, Rochen, as they're the official host of Joomla and specialize in it.
    Or if budget is a concern and you'd prefer to just keep everything in the same shared account, try h-sphere with Cartika or FluidHosting (my host).

All those names are top-tier. I wouldn't waste your time with anything less. GL!
    Last edited by Trip; 03-27-2013 at 04:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trip View Post

Since you're hosting 7 distinctly separate sites (for clients?), perhaps it would be desirable to isolate each a bit better than what you've got right now (as you hinted). You can go about this 2 ways. First, you could get a cPanel reseller account, which uses a special "parent" control panel called WHM to create and control "children" cPanel accounts, each being a separate and unique account for each of your seven sites. Or second, you could use regular shared hosting but just opt for a host who uses a control panel with better multi-domain support than cPanel, such as DirectAdmin, InterWorx, Plesk or H-Sphere. The reseller account will be slightly more per month starting out, whereas the alternate shared account you could do for about the same as you're paying now, just with a much better shared host.
    I know I need a reseller account just a case of who to use :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Trip View Post
    For cPanel reseller accounts, check out Dathorn, InnoHosting and even though they're a bit more pricey, Rochen, as they're the official host of Joomla and specialize in it.
    Or if budget is a concern and you'd prefer to just keep everything in the same shared account, try h-sphere with Cartika or FluidHosting (my host).

All those names are top-tier. I wouldn't waste your time with anything less. GL!
    All look good... Never heard of any of them - Not sure if this is good thing or bad? Anyone used any of them?

I don't think that Trip would have recommended them if he had no experience with their companies.

you might try talking with their sales reps and get a feel for the companies.
    IwebNews.net

True - Good point... I was hoping to get a few suggestions of different people - and see if the same name popped up a few times they go and google and see if there are any reviews for them...

It's just typical EIG -- Bluehost, Hostgator, Justhost, etc. Get a better host.
    You could get an account at Stablehost or somewhere, problem solved.
    I use SH for a lot of email, and have for years, and the IP has never been blacklisted.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Quote Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
    It's just typical EIG -- Bluehost, Hostgator, Justhost, etc. Get a better host.
    You could get an account at Stablehost or somewhere, problem solved.
    I use SH for a lot of email, and have for years, and the IP has never been blacklisted.
    Whats EIG?

Have you reviewed InnoHosting?

Whats EIG?
    Endurance International Group - the parent company that owns Bluehost (and quite a few other hosting companies besides).
    Not as active on WHT as I used to be, but still drop in and receive email notifications from here.

Endurance International Group - the parent company that owns Bluehost (and quite a few other hosting companies besides).
    Current count is 54.
    Not a typo: FIFTY FOUR.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Problems with BlueHost

To be honest I have used Hostgator for years and never had a problem

Whats EIG?

Have you reviewed InnoHosting?
    EIG (Endurance International Group) is the owner of many large web hosting companies such as HostGator, BlueHost, HostMonster, JustHost, and many more. I'm guessing you might have googled "Top Web Hosts" or "Best Web Hosting Companies 2013" -- Those lists are ALL FAKE and based off of affiliate credit, NOT real user experiences.

InnoHosting is one of the more respected web hosts around here and they do get quite a lot of good reviews, however I have not personally used them so I can't say anything further.

Quote Originally Posted by GVH-Jon View Post
    Those lists are ALL FAKE
    I'd say "most" but not "all".

I've come across some that aren't fake, and are based off experience. The key is seeing if they recommend the usual suspects: 1&1, Godaddy, EIG brands, IXWebHosting, etc -- all crap.

Some folks try to help others, not use them as a way to make money.

Last edited by kpmedia; 03-27-2013 at 08:58 AM.

recommend the usual suspects: 1&1, Godaddy, EIG brands, IXWebHosting, etc -- all crap.
    What on earth do you have against XWebHosting? Ok, I'm no fan of Godaddy but who cares? Why is this list so short or so long? HostGator is bad just because it's EIG, why?

recommend the usual suspects: 1&1, Godaddy, EIG brands, IXWebHosting, etc -- all crap.
    What on earth do you have against XWebHosting? Ok, I'm no fan of Godaddy but who cares? Why is this list so short or so long? HostGator is bad just because it's EIG, why?

I tried to ring InnoHosting and got no reply as of yet... left a message.

I am based in the UK BUT need a US based server.... they are a UK company but with US and UK Server - not sure if this is a good thing or not... UK company remotely managing their US servers...

they are a UK company but with US and UK Server - not sure if this is a good thing or not... UK company remotely managing their US servers...
    Don't worry too much about that. Most server management is done remotely anyway. It would only be an issue if their servers were colo in a US data centre and they had to do some maintenance, but even then there are ways they can have things done for them. For all you know, they may even have permanent US staff too.

Right so far - Learnt to avoid certain "review" sites and EIG.

Starting to research the suggestions... disappointed InnoHosting are not answering the phone :-(
    Last edited by always-learning; 03-27-2013 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Spelling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast