Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hostonce.com: Terrible, Appalling, Useless, No Support, Lazy, Worthless ETC.

Hello all,

Just a nice little grumble about my favourite people who refuse to deal with a naff email issue:

HOSTONCE SUCK. TERRIBLE SUPPORT, TERRIBLE SERVICE TERRIBLE SYSTEM ETC.

HOSTONCE ARE CRAP, USELESS, RUDE, IGNORANT (AND IF THE TRUTH'S KNOWN THEY PROBABLY SMELL TOO!).

This ring any bells?:
    The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was 'ababeonlegs@yahoo.com'. Subject '', Account: 'Me - Ababeonlegs.com', Server: 'mail.ababeonlegs.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '550 not local host yahoo.com, not a gateway', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC79

Or what about:
    The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was 'ababeonlegs@yahoo.com'. Subject 'test', Account: 'Me - Ababeonlegs.com', Server: 'mail.ababeonlegs.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '550 not local host yahoo.com, not a gateway', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC79

Or:
    The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was 'ababeonlegs@yahoo.com'. Subject 'just testing the connection', Account: 'Ababeonlegs - Ababeonlegs.com', Server: 'mail.ababeonlegs.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '550 not local host yahoo.com, not a gateway', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC79

See this has been going on for ages. With most site providers you can ACTUALLY_SEND_EMAIL through their email server but HOSTONCE????

**************NEVER***************

I am sick of this. It's not even my site and I'm trying to fix it time after time and hostonce simply ignore emails that I send them. Their answer is that the server is fully functional and that the password is wrong (despite the fact it's just been changed in the control panel so you know full well what the p/word actually is).

Then they say that mail.domain.com isn't right. Ok, so it works for incoming but not for outgoing eh? - Ok so what about smtp.domain.com? Nope surprisingly that don't work either.

I've just checked hostonce's support pages and they would actually prefer all outgoing mail to be sent through your own ISP's network instead (which means that it can't be sent from your web-site's domain name properly) because it would seem that they don't want any extra email traffic to deal with.

ATTN: HOSTONCE:
    if you have no intention of letting people send emails from their own domains then why do you even allow people to use their own domains eh?????. More to the point why can't you be bothered to answer my emails properly and fix the problem?

Why does your control panel not work properly?

Why do you even exist????

-Turboz.
    dale_jamie@zwallet.com

I appreciate your frustration, but bouncing mails off any other SMTP server you have access to isn't so hard - I'm not saying you should accept this, if they offer the service then as sure as hell it should work, but, at least your site is up

Andrew
    NetHosted - UK based hosting solutions.

i was going to sign up with them for my 1st domain, glad i didnt ive heard nothing but bad things, no cgi/php support, like to randomly delete accounts, wont let you host people.

Exclamation Yup!

Yup I know people who were with this company and all had bad times!!!

People still sign up with them? wow
    Clustered Hosting With Continuous Data Protection (CDP)
    http://www.solidinternet.com
    8 Years of hosting excellence!

There are only two reasons why a host wouldnt allow outgoing mail through your own domain that they host:

1) They are too lazy to set up a pop3 server for SMTP (unlikely)

or

2) (Most Likely reason)

Your "host" is running in a back bedroom or a basement of their home off a DSL or cable modem connection, illegally (usually) and port 25 is likely blocked to them.

Find a new host, make sure they are of age, are based in an actual datacenter, and are willing to do things properly.

(you wont find any of those things if you pay too little for your hosting)

I'm sorry if you are really having problems with your host, but actually it is common to refer a hosting customer to use their ISP's SMTP server for sending out email. This is usually beneficial to the email sender because, since you are on your ISP's actual connectivity network, your SMTP services will be a bit faster and more efficient than trying to use a host's password authenticated SMTP.

Basically, I'm just trying to say that when a host says that they prefer customers to use their ISP's smtp services, it doesn't mean that it's because their own smtp services don't work right.

Also, if you use your ISP to send out email, that doesn't mean you can't still send the message out with the "from" and "reply" address at your domain name.
    JC, www.webii.net
    Premium Hosting Services Since 1996
    Custom Development- www.webxess.net

Depending on the policies of your ISP, you may not even be able to use your host's servers. Some ISPs (Cox, MSN, AOL, AT&T, Eart*****, some others) require that their clients use their mailservers to send mail rather than use third-party servers. Some of the ISPs have made the change rather recently (in the last six months), while others, like Eart*****, have required use of their SMTP servers for a few years.

We don't really have enough information, in your original message, to know exactly what's going on. We also don't have the URL to their support page to see the exact wording thereon.
    Lesli Schauf, TLM Network
    Linux and Windows Hosting: Scribehost

Originally posted by living_media
    Depending on the policies of your ISP, you may not even be able to use your host's servers. Some ISPs (Cox, MSN, AOL, AT&T, Eart*****, some others) require that their clients use their mailservers to send mail rather than use third-party servers. Some of the ISPs have made the change rather recently (in the last six months), while others, like Eart*****, have required use of their SMTP servers for a few years.

We don't really have enough information, in your original message, to know exactly what's going on.
    Exactly. I dont think its the problem with the host. Might possibly be if your ISP allows it, but in most cases this is something blocked by your ISP not by your host. Might try contacting your ISP and ask if they allow the use of third party SMTP, as most either do this or are moving closer to doing it.

You can always add Port 26 as well as Port 25 for mail, this will help work around those very issues that many ISP's feel the need to try and control...

It's not an ISP problem. I am able to use all all other smtp servers just not hostonce.

I repeat HOSTONCE SUCK.

I've used lots of hosts on this ISP and never had any problems. It's Hostonce that are crap. I've had so many troubles with them it's beyond beleif - My other sites? - Fine.

WANT SOME GOOD ADVICE? - DON'T USE HOSTONCE.

If you are using outlook, please follow these steps and verify this setting:

1. Open Outlook
    2. Click Tools > Accounts in the toolbar
    3. Highlight the affected account and click "Properties".
    4. Click the "Servers" tab at the top.
    5. At the very bottom there is a checkbox that says "My server requires authentication". Make sure this is checked.

Most likely HostOnce is using CPanel and this is something that I have run across a few times with clients of my own. Please let me know if this resolves your issue. Even if it doesn't, HostOnce should have already suggested this to you, but here it is just incase they haven't.

Good luck!

[2) (Most Likely reason)

Your "host" is running in a back bedroom or a basement of their home off a DSL or cable modem connection, illegally (usually) and port 25 is likely blocked to them.

Find a new host, make sure they are of age, are based in an actual datacenter, and are willing to do things properly.

(you wont find any of those things if you pay too little for your hosting) [/B]
    I don't believe Hostonce are exactly that kind of host
    Solid-Hosting.net - affordable multiple domain hosting solutions
    Reliability and Customer Service are our focus!

I agree with Yassi. However, it seems that they do have some other problems.

Thanks for the handy hint but I've already tried that along with some other diagnostics and nothing works.

I'll say it again for those doubters that don't beleive me:
    HOSTONCE IS A **** HOST.

Avoid them like they're the plague - Cos if you don't they'll plague you with technical problems.

The "My server requires authentication" thing doesn't make the slightest bit of difference and yes I am bright enough to have tried everything possible before publicly slagging them off.

-T
    Hostonce if your reading this: Host-once is all you will do for customers you currently have cos once they leave they won't use you again.

Originally posted by Rman2003
    If you are using outlook, please follow these steps and verify this setting:

1. Open Outlook
    2. Click Tools > Accounts in the toolbar
    3. Highlight the affected account and click "Properties".
    4. Click the "Servers" tab at the top.
    5. At the very bottom there is a checkbox that says "My server requires authentication". Make sure this is checked.

Most likely HostOnce is using CPanel and this is something that I have run across a few times with clients of my own. Please let me know if this resolves your issue. Even if it doesn't, HostOnce should have already suggested this to you, but here it is just incase they haven't.

Good luck!

Ok, can you recieve? Maybe using your ISP's smtp servers might save you a lot of headaches till you find a host that is better to you. Just an idea, not debating whether a host is good or not, I think you made that clear.

I just wish when those ISP's change their policy to require use of "their" smtp servers, they would notify their clients.

Everyone had bad experiences with HostOnce. Before they use to offer unlimited stuff but then they stopped for some reason, oh wait let me guess... there is no unlimited thats why.

Yes receiving works fine just sending.

Execution: Your only too right. I'd heard alot about Hostonce before my relative signed up - By the time I found out who they'd signed up with it was too late and I became Tech.Support!.

Hostonce suk.

-T

It's actually very simple to send emails from your HostOnce.com hosting account.

All you need to do is specify your ISP's outgoing SMTP server in Outlook or Outlook Express.

So, your incoming POP3 server is mail.yourdomainname.com and your Outgoing SMTP server is set as your ISP's SMTP server eg, mail.isp.net

If you do the above and remember to state your full email address where Outlook or Outlook Express as for the username then you're there.

I have a few accounts at HostOnce.com and have never had problems with emails. Using your ISP's SMTP servers is fairly standard practice in the hosting industry.

Hostonce.com actually offer very good value for money, have their servers in a US based datacenter and have custom written their CP and other user software over the last few years and their service is actually very good compared to some more expensive hosts I've had accounts with.

Hello Turboz

In finding a resolution to your problem, what you can do is
    from your local machine, if you are in windows RUN>>CMD
    then simply try to establish a connection with HostOnce's SMTP server.

telnet the.nameofthemailserver.com 25

If you are able to connect, then you can rule out the ISP theory.

Next think you can do is provide the headers of the email that was bounce, this will show where and who rejected the email.
    Datums Internet Solutions, LLC
    Systems Engineering & Managed Hosting Services
    Complex Hosting Consultants

Thing about some ISPs is that some don't offer it for their customers. For example the broadband and the back-up ISP don't offer it and we don't have much choice in our area...

Originally posted by Webdude
    Ok, can you recieve? Maybe using your ISP's smtp servers might save you a lot of headaches till you find a host that is better to you. Just an idea, not debating whether a host is good or not, I think you made that clear.

I just wish when those ISP's change their policy to require use of "their" smtp servers, they would notify their clients.
    73's, Kim
    Everything happens for a reason I make up.

Seems to me really that Turboz "Junior Guru Wannabe" is just that - a junior wannabe.

Why are you wasting your time trying to blame your hosting company for your problems with sending emails when they clearly state that they do not supply SMTP servers and tell you to use your ISP's SMTP servers. You need to use your ISP's SMTP server.

Hanging around on message boards with other inexperienced webdesign-Wannabe's slagging off your host just shows how inexperienced you are.

Read my previous post - that's how you send emails when you have an account with HostOnce.com. It's not their fault you can't. You have to use your ISP's SMTP servers. Simple. Almost all hosting companies require this as an anti-spam precaution.
    Last edited by ultra_uk; 04-11-2004 at 03:54 AM.

Anyone else a little suspicious of ultra_uk? Signs up and instantly jumps on this thread singing only of praise and adoration for HostOnce.

And almost all hosting companies require this as an anti-spam precaution? None of the providers I've ever been with have done it.

Alot of ISP's SMTP's servers shouldn't be used anyway. Freeserve for instance is one of these, any mail sent from a non Freeserve domain account through their SMTP servers will have their mail blocked by AOL. That's just one example.

Hmmm, well I had to start posting somewhere so why not regarding the host that I use for most of my accounts?

Nice welcome...I sign up, post my views on a company when others are knocking it, try and help someone out using the same host as me, and then get called 'suspicious'. Thanks Sasuke.

No need to get so touchy, with the amount of "people" that sign up to "praise" a host being bashed, it's only natural that people get a little suspicious.

Hanging around on message boards with other inexperienced webdesign-Wannabe's slagging off your host just shows how inexperienced you are.
    So we're inexperienced Web Design wannabe's, are we? Not only are you insulting us, you then proceed to insult the original poster.

Hence the fact I am still suspicious of you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast