Forcing Google description

Our site description on Google searches is "Offers com, org, and net domain registration." This must have come off a DMOZ listing that has to be many years old now.

Is there any way to get rid of this and force Google to re-index the page to create a new description?

Quote Originally Posted by IRCCo Jeff View Post
    Our site description on Google searches is "Offers com, org, and net domain registration." This must have come off a DMOZ listing that has to be many years old now.

Is there any way to get rid of this and force Google to re-index the page to create a new description?
    Hi Jeff,

Yes, this is possible. I just checked your websites view source and did not find any description tag which is neccassry for google to show a snippet of your website description in the search.

Here is how to create meta description:

<meta name="description" content="YOUR WEBSITE DESCRIPTION HERE" />

Do this and Google will show this new description once they update the SERP.

Hope I help

regards,
    Zafar Ahmed
    I'm Zafar Ahmed.
    I provide
    SEO Services & eMarketing consultancy
    I'll be glad to hear from you

You are also missing a closing head tag </head>. Not that it will make a difference in your snippet, but wanted to let you know.
    Technical Advisor for new A&E Series The Killing Season
    There are no random acts of violence
    Starts November 5th!

Zafar, why are you always not quite right?? Having your own meta description tag is simply not enough if you are listed in DMOZ..

You also need to include the noodp tag

<meta name=”robots” content=”noodp”>

Look, another meta tag that Google uses.. If you use the noodp tag, and do not have a description tag then Google will try to create it's own snippet based on text surrounding the keyword on page..
    Steve
    Metal Monster Marketing : Internet Marketing

Not necessary if you using meta desc tag then you should use "NOODP" tag

If do not want to use "desc" based from "ODP" then google suggest you that use the NOODP tag in the page.

Quote Originally Posted by Feydakin View Post
    Zafar, why are you always not quite right?? Having your own meta description tag is simply not enough if you are listed in DMOZ..

Look, another meta tag that Google uses.. If you use the noodp tag, and do not have a description tag then Google will try to create it's own snippet based on text surrounding the keyword on page..
    Vishal

Indian Social Bookmarking tweetr.in

I would suggest putting in your own description rather than having Google "make one up" for you.

Use Google Sitemaps to get it viewed quicker and changed. You don't necessarily have to wait until a SERP update. I just recently changed the title and desc. on a homepage I own, and Google updated it in 2 weeks.
    www.JGRoboMarketing.com / "Automate. Grow. Repeat"
    █ Office: (800) 959-0182 / A KEAP Certified Developer (KCD)

Quote Originally Posted by Feydakin View Post

Hello,

Not everyone has their website accepted by DMOZ.

Zafar, why are you always not quite right??
    Please stick to topic, I have had enough of your personal comments on another thread.

Back to the topic, it appears the OP has his website in DMOZ (sorry I didnt check it before) - as mentioned above, use the NOODP tag to prevent this.

Here is more on NOODP tag,

http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/google...eta-noodp-tag/
    Last edited by Zafar Ahmed; 04-09-2008 at 04:11 PM.
    I'm Zafar Ahmed.
    I provide
    SEO Services & eMarketing consultancy
    I'll be glad to hear from you

Quote Originally Posted by Vishal View Post
    Not necessary if you using meta desc tag then you should use "NOODP" tag

If do not want to use "desc" based from "ODP" then google suggest you that use the NOODP tag in the page.
    I can't imagine anyone wanting to use a crappy DMOZ description, they all pretty much suck
    Steve
    Metal Monster Marketing : Internet Marketing

Wow 2 weeks is a while for google to update i just changed my sites description also so it can say i have reseller plans

Is anyone getting into DMOZ these days?

yeah whats the waiting time on dmoz.org ? I submitted sites to it like months ago.
    Visit today: PHP and Design Talk, Tutorials & Discussion
    http://www.goodphptutorials.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Zafar Ahmed View Post
    Back to the topic, it appears the OP has his website in DMOZ (sorry I didnt check it before) - as mentioned above, use the NOODP tag to prevent this.
    So your excuse for not knowing about it before is that you didn't check it before when in the OP's first post Jeff clearly stated:

This must have come off a DMOZ listing that has to be many years old now.
    Feydakin rightfully supplied the correct answer, as did whoever who also said to use the meta description tag to better control the snippet shown by google. You jumping on feydakin is just foolishness on your part. It is not Steves fault that you can not read.

As for you having had enough of personal comments, maybe you should not steal other peoples content as your own, or lie to try to defer unwanted attention about your illegal activities from yourself to others. Maybe then people would not have the fuel to start the fire.

I am still waiting for you to accept the wager from the thread where you admitted you stole the seobook article.
    Last edited by nuclei; 04-09-2008 at 10:26 PM.
    William Cross
    Don Halbert *play site*
    william@seofox.com

Sorry not personal no offense

But please Stick to the topic

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nuclei View Post
    As for you having had enough of personal comments, maybe you should not steal other peoples content as your own, or lie to try to defer unwanted attention about your illegal activities from yourself to others. Maybe then people would not have the fuel to start the fire.

I am still waiting for you to accept the wager from the thread where you admitted you stole the seobook article.
    Vishal

Indian Social Bookmarking tweetr.in

Seeing as it was in direct reply to something already posted, it was on topic for that particular part of the thread.

What was not on topic was your saying "stay on topic"
    William Cross
    Don Halbert *play site*
    william@seofox.com

Quote Originally Posted by websoltech View Post
    yeah whats the waiting time on dmoz.org ? I submitted sites to it like months ago.
    There really is no "waiting time". The DMOZ rule is that editors may use the "pool" of sites submitted, or not even look at it at all to build their categories. In other words, they dont have to even LOOK at your submission if they do not feel like it. The main problem is that many of the DMOZ editors are there for their own benefit, and will never list competitors in their categories unless that competitor is a friend or pays them. I have no doubt that by this time in the next 72 hours, a DMOZ'r will be here disputing this, they always show up. So hit him up with a bribe and maybe you will finally get in. (that last bit was a joke).
    William Cross
    Don Halbert *play site*
    william@seofox.com

[sarcasm]

What are you kidding me? DMOZ editors are actually not letting in competition? Oh my God, this is amazing! I don't believe it, not one bit!

[/sarcasm]
    www.JGRoboMarketing.com / "Automate. Grow. Repeat"
    █ Office: (800) 959-0182 / A KEAP Certified Developer (KCD)

Quote Originally Posted by PinkFloydWS View Post
    [sarcasm]

What are you kidding me? DMOZ editors are actually not letting in competition? Oh my God, this is amazing! I don't believe it, not one bit!

[/sarcasm]
    Yeh, being sarcastic about that one is hard not to do
    William Cross
    Don Halbert *play site*
    william@seofox.com

Quote Originally Posted by websoltech View Post
    Think of DMOZ is an investment for the future, something you do for your kids and even grand kids. You will never benefit from it in your lifetime.
    DigiPun.ch
    An Awesome Digital Punch Clock
    Release date: October 1st

Thanks for the tips, i'm implementing these changes now and adding the missing </head>.

BTW: Why do all of the SEO companies on this board find it necessary to fight each other?

We don't fight each other. Some of us fight misleading and totally inaccurate information given to people asking valid questions, such as you did, and some here, like Zafar, provide the misleading information. And sometimes, when someone continuously provides misleading, inaccurate, and sometimes fraudulent information that often can be harmful to people who do not know any better, they become targets.
    William Cross
    Don Halbert *play site*
    william@seofox.com

BTW: Why do all of the SEO companies on this board find it necessary to fight each other?
    Because they don't know jack about it

/jk
    DigiPun.ch
    An Awesome Digital Punch Clock
    Release date: October 1st

Tags have been updated, i'm just waiting for Google to actually reindex it.

Side question: If you search a popular site (say, Google for "Adobe") and it comes up with the first entry and a table of links within that site is that what happens when you upload a sitemap?

If you mean the links under a listing like this: http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...S258&q=seo+fox

These are called SiteLinks and are given automatically by google when it feels a website is an authority on the keyword that has been searched.
    William Cross
    Don Halbert *play site*
    william@seofox.com

Quote Originally Posted by PinkFloydWS View Post
    I would suggest putting in your own description rather than having Google "make one up" for you.

Use Google Sitemaps to get it viewed quicker and changed. You don't necessarily have to wait until a SERP update. I just recently changed the title and desc. on a homepage I own, and Google updated it in 2 weeks.
    I would go with this one As soon as the bot crawl your site - it would pick up this update and display the new description tag eventually.
    OneIMS.com - Internet Marketing and SEO