Thread: Hawkhost

Hawkhost

Via a discount code, I got my first year with Hawhost for $20. The renewal however is $40. Is there any reason I can't just sign up for a new account and pay $20 again? (aside from the work of moving my stuff) Hawkhost has been good but I'm not sure I can justify paying $40 considering my usage is near nil and cheaper options are available. I suppose I thought when I signed up that renewal offers would surface but they never did.
      0 Not allowed!

I am not sure, you could ask them directly. Or you could do it hope it works. Would you mind sharing this coupon code?
    |||| ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
    |||| Top 10 Web Hosts - www.TopHostScout.com
    |||| ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Acheron View Post
    Via a discount code, I got my first year with Hawhost for $20. The renewal however is $40. Is there any reason I can't just sign up for a new account and pay $20 again? (aside from the work of moving my stuff) Hawkhost has been good but I'm not sure I can justify paying $40 considering my usage is near nil and cheaper options are available. I suppose I thought when I signed up that renewal offers would surface but they never did.
    Why don't you just contact Hawkhost and see what they can work out with you. If your renewal invoice is already generated then you are responsible for that. If you cancel and try to create another account you will surely run into some issues I am guessing.

You should have been aware of the terms of the discount when you first signed up.
    Kevin Kopp - MonsterMegs Business Class Hosting Services
    Pure SSD Powered Shared, Reseller, and Enterprise Hosting Solutions
    US & NL Locations :: [US] PhoenixNAP | [NL] EvoSwitch Datacenters
      0 Not allowed!

This isn't a question that you should ask here. Ask their sales department maybe they can work something out for you .

- Daniel
      0 Not allowed!

Usually when you sell web hosting that low, you're making no profit on it, however most hosting companies benefit from you anyways as you tell your friends about your awesome hosting company, etc.

$20/year is nothing for hosting, even $40. You can't afford $3.33/month on your website and email? You spend twice that on a burger at mcdonalds.
      0 Not allowed!

The coupon you signed up for was for 50% off the first payment I imagine. Us offering this on a recurring basis is not sustainable for us without sacrificing our quality of services. We do not offer people these discounts on a recurring basis even if we're contacted because of this. Some users try to game the system by canceling their account and making a new client account and signing up again using a new coupon. This of course adds lots of work and down time for their sites to pull off such a move.
    Tony B. - Chief Executive Officer
    Hawk Host Inc. Proudly serving websites since 2004
    Quality Shared and Cloud Hosting
    PHP 5.2.x - PHP 8.1.X Support!
      0 Not allowed!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
    Why don't you just contact Hawkhost and see what they can work out with you. If your renewal invoice is already generated then you are responsible for that. If you cancel and try to create another account you will surely run into some issues I am guessing.

You should have been aware of the terms of the discount when you first signed up.
    My Thoughts exactly. Best bet: contact Hawkhost first and just ask. If they see your usage and how long you've been a customer, I'm sure upper-management might be willing to cut you some slack.

Most of the time, promotions might say for new customers only . Well if you cancel and re-sign up, i don't think that constitutes you as a new client, just a return client?
    Live the day in courage |

0 Not allowed!

There, HawkHost representative have responded. And I fully agree on the part where if they are going to keep the 50% discount code on renewals, it is very hard to sustain.

The quality of service you are currently enjoying MIGHT go down if they can't earn and make a profit to maintain their monthly costs.
    Pulse Media Hosting Is One Year Old! - Reseller Promo NOW ON!
    █ • 24x7 Ticket Support • Reseller Coupon: Resell2011
    Look Me Up - KaiOur Uptime
    █ • We R The HeartBeat That Keeps Your Sites Online
      0 Not allowed!

I would pay the full price, from the time I was at hawk host, they were awesome, probably best host I have ever had. I only moved to goto a more controllable environment.
      0 Not allowed!

You might run into some issues with their system.

Plus, why not just pay the full amount? It can't be that hard to get 40 dollars in a year.

Anyways, I don't want to judge or whatever.

Would you rather backup all your files, download it, cancel your account. Wait about 48 hours and have your website down for 48 hours.
    Create another account hoping your domain isn't still registered on their system. If it is, you won't be able to make an account under that domain.
    Once you're through the domain registration, pay another 20 dollars, and then upload your backup. Contact Hawkhost to restore your backup. and hope they don't figure out anything.
    I don't know. IMO i would just pay the 40 dollars.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
    I was aware but as I said I thought some sort of renewal offer would surface. I didn't expect 50% but I thought something would come up.

Quote Originally Posted by nerdie View Post
    $20/year is nothing for hosting, even $40. You can't afford $3.33/month on your website and email? You spend twice that on a burger at mcdonalds.
    Actually, no I don't spend a dime at McD's or any other fast food chain. I wouldn't give you a nickel for any of that crap. Regardless, I didn't state nor imply that I thought it was expensive. I am just not sure I want to spend it. My last host was $500 a year but at the time it was what I needed. I have used 50MB of traffic this month so I am mainly just using my hosting for email forwarding.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyB View Post
    The coupon you signed up for was for 50% off the first payment I imagine. Us offering this on a recurring basis is not sustainable for us without sacrificing our quality of services. We do not offer people these discounts on a recurring basis even if we're contacted because of this. Some users try to game the system by canceling their account and making a new client account and signing up again using a new coupon. This of course adds lots of work and down time for their sites to pull off such a move.
    I understand completely Tony. If I was trying to put one over on anyone, I wouldn't have posted here as it would have been wiser to keep my mouth shut. I was just inquiring as to whether there was some reason I couldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by emckai View Post
    Plus, why not just pay the full amount? It can't be that hard to get 40 dollars in a year.
    Again, it's not a matter of not being able to pay it. I just don't know if it's personally worth it for me considering I mainly just need email forwarding at this point. As above, I have used 50MB of traffic 17 days into the month.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyB View Post
    If a company could afford, as part of their business plan and ROI to offer 50% off for life they would do so. They offered you 50% off your 1st payment to help ease the cost and time spent to move to them and as an incentive to try their services. Their hope was you would find them a good value for the money when it came time to renew and do so at a price that would allow them to meet their costs and margin.

Instead you (the OP) suggest attempting to manipulate their marketing efforts and goodwill by canceling and then re-ordering. You have not mentioned any dissatisfaction with the services but for a few dollars you will screw a provider that has done nothing but live up to their end of the deal. Nice...

Customers like you no one needs, you are in it for yourself and will screw the provider no matter how well they take care of you at every opportunity. You have the integrity and moral compass of a housefly. If you want to cancel for a plan elsewhere that is cheaper, then cancel. You are a break even customer at this point and will not effect HawkHost's ability to pay for paperclips from Staples, believe me you will not really be missed. More importantly, I doubt you can spell "value" and will leave soon anyway because instead of paying for service that you have no complaint about you gotta "have a deal"....I bet you would stop going to Burger King once the dollar menu went to $1.05.

OK, I feel better getting that off my chest....
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Beachcomber View Post
    Instead you (the OP) suggest attempting to manipulate their marketing efforts and goodwill by canceling and then re-ordering. You have not mentioned any dissatisfaction with the services but for a few dollars you will screw a provider that has done nothing but live up to their end of the deal. Nice...

Customers like you no one needs, you are in it for yourself and will screw the provider no matter how well they take care of you at every opportunity. You have the integrity and moral compass of a housefly. If you want to cancel for a plan elsewhere that is cheaper, then cancel. You are a break even customer at this point and will not effect HawkHost's ability to pay for paperclips from Staples, believe me you will not really be missed. More importantly, I doubt you can spell "value" and will leave soon anyway because instead of paying for service that you have no complaint about you gotta "have a deal"....I bet you would stop going to Burger King once the dollar menu went to $1.05.

I am glad you feel better now but you have made a very foolish professional decision in posting such a rude and libelous statement.

If my intent was to deceive anyone, I wouldn't have posted here. Use what little intelligence you possess to consider the logistics of that. Secondly, of course I am "in it for myself." I don't have a business partnership with the hosting company; I am simply a customer. Finally, I have already stated that the issue is whether it is worth it for me t pay $40 a year as I only need email forwarding at this point. No one can answer that but me; however, I was asked and therefore saw it polite to answer. At no point did I complain about the pricing at Hawkhost. In fact, I have made numerous postings on this very forum stating that they are one of the best solutions around for the money.

It is not surprising that your company has faced customer service complaints with your tone and obvious lack of self-control. Next time you have something to say to me, we can do this in person. I am not far from MA and will likely be traveling there by March and can come down to house number 8.
      0 Not allowed!

Acheron - my advice is to just let this thread drop. I'm not taking sides here, but I can tell you that you're likely not going to get the feedback you were after. A majority of the major posters here are providers themselves and as such will likely see things similarly to what has already been posted.

Good luck, either way.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.
      0 Not allowed!

I am glad you feel better now but you have made a very foolish professional decision in posting such a rude and libelous statement.

If my intent was to deceive anyone, I wouldn't have posted here. Use what little intelligence you possess to consider the logistics of that. Secondly, of course I am "in it for myself." I don't have a business partnership with the hosting company; I am simply a customer. Finally, I have already stated that the issue is whether it is worth it for me t pay $40 a year as I only need email forwarding at this point. No one can answer that but me; however, I was asked and therefore saw it polite to answer. At no point did I complain about the pricing at Hawkhost. In fact, I have made numerous postings on this very forum stating that they are one of the best solutions around for the money.

It is not surprising that your company has faced customer service complaints with your tone and obvious lack of self-control. Next time you have something to say to me, we can do this in person. I am not far from MA and will likely be traveling there by March and can come down to house number 8.
    If you feel $40 is not worth spending on your website and since Hawkhost is not willing to extend your discount, perhaps its just better to find another web-host that provides hosting at or around the price you are looking for?

Anyway, just a suggestion. I definitely understand where you are coming from and I definitely understand why Hawkhost cant continue to extend that special pricing to you.
    Looking for an awesome VPS Offer? CLICK HERE

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do." – Bruce Lee
      0 Not allowed!

If you are only going to use the domain for email forwarding, have you considered use something as Google Apps?
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Jedito View Post
    If you are only going to use the domain for email forwarding, have you considered use something as Google Apps?
    That is also a great idea!
    Looking for an awesome VPS Offer? CLICK HERE

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do." – Bruce Lee
      0 Not allowed!

My intent was to simply ask if I was allowed to sign up again and instead I get a few idiots who think I was up to something dubious.

My thanks to those who took the few seconds to actually read and consider what I was saying and thanks also to those who provided suggestions. Again I certainly no ill intent here; I was merely asking a question.
      0 Not allowed!

My intent was to simply ask if I was allowed to sign up again and instead I get a few idiots who think I was up to something dubious.

My thanks to those who took the few seconds to actually read and consider what I was saying and thanks also to those who provided suggestions. Again I certainly no ill intent here; I was merely asking a question.
    If you only use the account for mostly email forwarding, why not just get a email account with someone else?

You could probably use it for much cheaper. 1.50 a month i think.

Well its all up to you.
      0 Not allowed!

This is dishonest. They offer the discount to new accounts as a trial at a lower price to ge the feel for them. You should be lucky it is for one year. Save some money through the year to pay the extra $20.
      0 Not allowed!

Sorry if this has already been said -

But have you tried contacting the host to see if they will create a custom plan for you seeing as though you only use it for Email forwarding?
      0 Not allowed!

This thread is full of some very interesting replies lol, but this one in particular:

Quote Originally Posted by Beachcomber View Post
    If a company could afford, as part of their business plan and ROI to offer 50% off for life they would do so. They offered you 50% off your 1st payment to help ease the cost and time spent to move to them and as an incentive to try their services. Their hope was you would find them a good value for the money when it came time to renew and do so at a price that would allow them to meet their costs and margin.

Wow...Mark/Beachcomber there is a huge difference between answering an honest question, and tearing somebody a new butthole. Guess which end of the spectrum your response falls onto?

He said he wasn't sure if he could justify paying for another year because of how little resources he's using. And you somehow took that as him trying to abuse a discount he received and then proceed to insult him in a number of ways.

<<Removed>>
    Last edited by Mike V; 01-18-2011 at 02:26 AM.
      0 Not allowed!

My intent was to simply ask if I was allowed to sign up again
    As you have an answer......

/thread
      0 Not allowed!