Web hosting with ASP.NET 2.0, SQL SERVER

Hi,

I am new to web hosting and overwhelmed with all the choices out there. However, I have found few web hosting services with support for:

- ASP.NET 2.0
    - SQL Server 2000

Can anybody recommend such a provider with a solid reputation? In addition I should mention my site will be accessed by visitors in Europe (besides the US), how would I know the page load times are going to be acceptable? Do some providers 'specialize' in hosting sites for which a large part of the traffic comes from abroad?

Thank you!

Welcome to WHT Nicolas!

#1 Visit offers section with your request
    #2 Specify your budget.
    How much space and BW you need?
    ServerPoint.com - a true hosting company offering online presence solutions since 1998.
    >>Web Hosting, colocation, dedicated servers and virtual private dedicated servers.
    >>>>Wholly owned multi homed network, servers and facilities.

Thank you ServerPoint!
    Sorry, I'm lost in this forum. I will try you #1 suggestion. As far as budget I did not want to pay more than $15/month but is that possible with the features I'm requesting? I never realized that most of the more 'popular' web hosting companies don't support asp.net and sql server. I thought that was standard stuff (
    For the size of my site I'm not sure either. It will be about 30 pages in 5 different languages. Is this big?

Thanks again,

Nicolas.

Lots of web hosting companies as rule linux/unix based (because of.... many reasons).

And no problem, welcome.
    ServerPoint.com - a true hosting company offering online presence solutions since 1998.
    >>Web Hosting, colocation, dedicated servers and virtual private dedicated servers.
    >>>>Wholly owned multi homed network, servers and facilities.

Some time ago I have hosted my web-sites at www.bottomlinecom.net. As far as I remember I hosted ASP with MS SQL databeses for $6-7/mo.
    Smart Power Asia - Electronics - Mobile Electronics Store. Sell i-mobile, Oppo, Samsung. Worldwide shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_I View Post
    Some time ago I have hosted my web-sites at www.bottomlinecom.net. As far as I remember I hosted ASP with MS SQL databeses for $6-7/mo.

Seems they offer a package where you can only pay for a year which works out around $35, comes with ASP 1.0/2.0 and MYsql if im correct.

Yes, you are correct, but that package includes 2 of MS SQL databases.
    Smart Power Asia - Electronics - Mobile Electronics Store. Sell i-mobile, Oppo, Samsung. Worldwide shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_I View Post
    Yes, you are correct, but that package includes 2 of MS SQL databases.
    Didnt see that, well should meet the OP needs, depends weather he is happy paying per a year, also may be worth looking for more reviews, as you did say it was a while ago you used them.

Hi, this is my first post here.

I'm not a web developer but run a site which was also (unfortunately) written for MS-SQL and .asp. I too have had trouble finding a suitable upgrade for the package I have currently but the main issue for me is the amount of space I require - I'm close to exceeding the capacity of an 8GB package and could do with around 100GB to be comfortable.

The following info may help the original poster:
    I'm currently hosted with 1&1 based in germany, costing $35 per month. I could upgrade to a 20GB package for around $55/m and they have a starter one for $6 (1.5GB) which would no doubt suit the OP. But the service has been poor IMHO. It's fine when it's operational but I was initially put on a faulty server and the support was virtually non-existent - all based in Asia and the communication has been, at best, abysmal. I was once offline for 3 weeks and this was a newly launched startup business, with advertising planned around that time! They still won't advise me when they have routine maintenance planned and their backups are only valid for 48 hours by which time they haven't even responded to or understood your email telling them of the fault!

Anyway, I digress...I've been looking around and the only other solution I have come up with was from My123hosting.com - sorry I'm not allowed to post URLs yet! They offer 600GB+MS-SQL+ASP for $13/month but when I emailed them to check the facts I was told that (contrary to their T&Cs) they will not host music download sites - despite the fact that mine is a legitimate business and mostly selling my own music! They claim this is due to the potential for copyright infringement. Whatever happened to "innocent until proven guilty"?

So if anyone can point me to a suitable solution (100GB+, MS-SQL, .ASP for under $40/month) I would very much appreciate it. Alternatively, does anyone know if MS-SQL databases can be converted to MySQL? This may also solve the problem for me.

Many thanks indeed.

Yammie,

100Gb disk space is a huge requirement, which I believe won't be supported by most of the shared hosters (overseller excluded). You should consider getting a managed VPS whereby you will be getting full remote access. You can visit the VPS Offers section in this forum where you can find some good deals and offers.

Also, you do need a windows hosting as you'll need to convert both .asp pages and ms sql databases to .php pages and mysql databases.

Good luck with you search!
    ██ SoftSys Hosting ██ - 14 Years In Business - 24/7 In-House Support - Enterprise Class Replicated Cloud Servers For HA

Cloud Hosting With Anti-Malware, IDS/IPS, WAF & Litespeed - Windows 2019 Shared Hosting w/ Plesk

Quote Originally Posted by Yammie View Post
    Hi, this is my first post here.

I was told that (contrary to their T&Cs) they will not host music download sites - despite the fact that mine is a legitimate business and mostly selling my own music! They claim this is due to the potential for copyright infringement. Whatever happened to "innocent until proven guilty"?
    This is probably because they dont want anyone to use the diskspace they provide.

Allot of hosting companies offer too much diskspace offering, but if you use that diskspace, they will find a way to remove your files.

That is why it is better to go with a host with realistic resources. Also its likely hosts who offer too much diskspace probably dont backup your files as it would cost allot to backup.
    The Hosting Heroes Ltd - over 20 years in the UK hosting industry.
    Website Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Cloud VPS Servers | Dedicated Servers | VPS Reseller for WHMCS
    www.thehostingheroes.com

That would make sense.

Forgive me, I'm still feeling my way around in this hosting business.

Thank you for all your responses!
    Andrew how was your experience with bottomlinecom? Good service, reliable? It's indeed pretty cheap and I don't mind paying yearly )

Regards,

Nicolas.

Does anyone know hostmysite.com? They do offer asp.net 2.0 and MS SQL Server 2000 at a 'reasonable' price...

Thank you!

Nicolas.

HostMySite are a big hosting company. If you like the look of them submit some test support tickets to see if their support response is quick, as the last thing you want is a host who take a long time to help your needs.
    The Hosting Heroes Ltd - over 20 years in the UK hosting industry.
    Website Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Cloud VPS Servers | Dedicated Servers | VPS Reseller for WHMCS
    www.thehostingheroes.com

Try Jodohost, they are good.. also crystaltech, but that might turn out to a bit expensive.. both are great providers tho!