Need an affordable VPS for small businesses

I'll start by describing what I do so hopefully you'll have a better understanding. I provide several services; mainly web design for health care clinics, pharmacies and other health related businesses. An additional (highly requested) service is complete site administration.

The sites are simple code wise: just HTML/CSS with PHP here and there. No MySQL/databases involved.

Therefore I'm looking for a VPS that is much like VolumeDrive but better customer service and more stable. I setup everything from PuTTy. So here are my requirements

- CentOS 5.4 (it's what I'm used to)
    - Full FTP, SSH access
    - Unmanaged, no cPanel, Webmin! I highly dislike these
    - Prompt customer service
    - The IP(s) provided must not be blacklisted (or sent into a Junk folder) by GMail, Yahoo or any of the other big email companies
    - Able to handle small to medium business traffic. No downtime is highly important! Fast server response times
    - $10 to $20 a month range. My clients are able to afford much more, however I don't believe they need more than in that range.
    - Ability to prepay a couple of months in advanced without hassle
    - Majority US traffic

Thanks! Please let me know which VPS companies are best for my needs!
    Last edited by Drafun; 08-28-2014 at 10:53 PM.

Have you checked the vps offers section ?

What are you looking to get for $20.00 a month in regards to HDD Space and Bandwidth?
    highavailability.io ██████ ███ ██ █ █
    High Availability WordPress Hosting

Seems like there may be some misconceptions here about exactly what an unmanaged / self-managed VPS is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drafun View Post
    Then you need to get used to (at least) version 5.10 - the current / final version 5 release. On a new build I'd suggest version 6 as a conservative choice, although you do have a couple of years before 5 goes EoL.

- Full FTP, SSH access
    On any unmanaged VPS the setup choices are entirely under your control.

Hopefully you're not expecting customer service to support anything beyond having the VPS running and connected to the internet...

- The IP(s) provided must not be blacklisted (or sent into a Junk folder) by GMail, Yahoo or any of the other big email companies
    No provider should be giving you blacklisted IPs but you need to understand that getting mail delivered reliably demands more than that, and on an unmanaged VPS the setup (SPF, domainkeys, rDNS etc) is mostly up to you.

- Able to handle small to medium business traffic. No downtime is highly important!
    No downtime (aka 100% uptime) is impossible. Sooner or later there will always be downtime. You need to evaluate your needs realistically and plan accordingly, eg. 99.9% should be achievable, 99.99% probably not, at your budget. Keep in mind also the difference between network uptime, server uptime and service uptime. The provider's responsible for network and server but if your webserver crashes, that's entirely your responsibility.

Fast server response times
    The provider has a responsibility to provide a working machine that's capable of good performance. But again, on an unmanaged system whether your websites are fast or slow also depends on how you set them up.

- $10 to $20 a month range. My clients are able to afford much more, however I don't believe they need more than in that range.
    You can certainly get capable unmanaged VPSs in that range, though you need to choose carefully particularly towards the bottom end. Keep in mind that what looks like a cheap / good value offer may just be more oversold than others so the reputation of the provider is far more important than an "extra" 1GB or whatever. I've had good results from Ramnode and Hostigation in the low-end range or FutureHosting for a slightly higher budget.

One key point you didn't mention: backups. Keep your own, taken at whatever intervals are appropriate, and save them on another machine in a different location. Unmanaged providers generally don't provide backups and one day you will need them.

GL
    Last edited by foobic; 08-29-2014 at 12:34 AM.
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

Preferred location ?
    schnellno.de - High performance SSD VPS RAID10
    XEON E5-26XX CPU | Premium Datacenter in Nürnberg, Germany
    █ Windows VPS | Linux VPS | *BSD VPS
    Friendly support team |100% Network Uptime

Quote Originally Posted by SchnellNode View Post
    Preferred location ?
    the OP stated:

Majority US traffic
    US location will be best for OP.
    Explore our outstanding VPS choices tailored to your budget, and we welcome reasonable offers.
    VPS Price Match Guarantee on: All our range of DDOS protected XEN HVM VPS
    == Contact us for any online solution development or managed / unmanaged vps hosting ==

As you can see here is that OVH got a few datacenters in US, which means you can carefully make a choice on your own.

Here you will find what they can offer you in the VPS section. This might be usefull to you, if not, please let us know.

- Dennis
    RELIABLE VPS's - VPSslim.com - Located in the Serverius datacenter NL • INSTANT Setup!
    HostSlim EU | Shared hosting - Reseller hosting - Virtual Private Servers - Dedicated Servers - Streamhosting | Instant Setup | 24x7 Support!|

I would suggest RamNode(great customer service) and get a 128MB RAM VPS as you said "just HTML/CSS with PHP here and there. No MySQL/databases involved.", so just Nginx+PHP would work with very small budget.

Quote Originally Posted by HostSlim-DH View Post
    As you can see here is that OVH got a few datacenters in US, which means you can carefully make a choice on your own.
    OVH have one datacenter location in North America, in Canada.

I suggest RamNode. They prices are fairly acceptable and their support is amazing.
    schnellno.de - High performance SSD VPS RAID10
    XEON E5-26XX CPU | Premium Datacenter in Nürnberg, Germany
    █ Windows VPS | Linux VPS | *BSD VPS
    Friendly support team |100% Network Uptime

Most of the IPs will be reused by every host. So one can't provide 100% guarantee on that. All providers will have their x day money back guarantee. So during that time, you can test your VPS IP in mxtoolbox and make sure it is clean.
    Aaron S, CEO
    AIMVM Limited
    VPS || Dedicated|| Shared Hosting
    www.aimvm.com

Linode or ramnode buddy

+1 Linode.

Yup also digital ocean

Linode is a reputed VPS company. I think you can try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Drafun View Post
    I'll start by describing what I do so hopefully you'll have a better understanding. I provide several services; mainly web design for health care clinics, pharmacies and other health related businesses. An additional (highly requested) service is complete site administration.

The sites are simple code wise: just HTML/CSS with PHP here and there. No MySQL/databases involved.

Therefore I'm looking for a VPS that is much like VolumeDrive but better customer service and more stable. I setup everything from PuTTy. So here are my requirements

- Full FTP, SSH access
    - Able to handle small to medium business traffic. No downtime is highly important! Fast server response times
    - Ability to prepay a couple of months in advanced without hassle
    - Majority US traffic

Thanks! Please let me know which VPS companies are best for my needs!
    If I understand you correctly you basically want to design it and have the host handle it all. You need to think more on lines of ateast $50+ per VPS in that case. If I am getting what you are thinking unmanaged will not work for you. Just like people undervalue what it takes to design a decent website. Many undervalue what it actually takes to properly manage a VPS now days.

ramnode is a good choice.

My 3 favorites are digital ocean, linode and ramnode

Mines with farbyte and no issues so far

<<Signature to be set up in profile>>
    Last edited by Postbox; 09-08-2014 at 08:34 PM.
    Your IT Heroes
    █ Fully Managed Cloud Shared, Reseller and Semi-Dedicated Hosting.
    » Directadmin | CloudLinux | LiteSpeed | MariaDB | Offsite Backup | MailChannels
    █ UK Phone & Ticket Support