SSD Raid 5 vs SSD Raid 1 + SAS/SATA Raid 1

I am debating whether to create a 4 drive raid 5 array composed of 4 intel 320 series SSDs or a two drive raid 1 array of 320's and a raid 1 array of 10k sas/sata (likey velociraptors) for our new fleet of virtualization nodes.

We are not hosting web servers - these are nodes for our multi-tenant private cloud in which our customers run their infrastructure servers - they could be sql, exchange, ad, rds, file servers, etc... and they are primarily all windows.

Our chassis is a 1u 4 LFF drive chassis and our card is the LSI 9260-4i

The vast majority of these physicals will host RDS servers and the user profile data and applications are layered on top and no do exist on the local storage.

Either one of these solutions should meet our disk space requirements I'm just not sure which is the best price/performance/reliability/best tested.

Thanks All!

Uh oh. Sounds like a recipe for disaster!

Speaking from personal experience, SSD's do not play well in any kind of RAID setup. They're fine for light work and maybe hosting a bare OS in RAID1, but when you start "using them" they tend to fail rather quickly.

I don't know why they fail, presume disk writing to the same block over and over causing corruption. Maybe it's just with the drives I was using, not really sure, but I'm certainly not willing to try it again!
    » Xagga Hosting - extra-value UK-based web host
    » VPSnodes.net - the UK's ultimate VPS provider

» t: 020 33 973 775 | e: contact[at]ellogroup.com

I'm a little nervous as well but the reviews and experience of those using the new Intel 320's seems to be pretty positive (given their relatively short time on the market).

Quote Originally Posted by Olly-ellogroup View Post
    Uh oh. Sounds like a recipe for disaster!

Speaking from personal experience, SSD's do not play well in any kind of RAID setup. They're fine for light work and maybe hosting a bare OS in RAID1, but when you start "using them" they tend to fail rather quickly.

I don't know why they fail, presume disk writing to the same block over and over causing corruption. Maybe it's just with the drives I was using, not really sure, but I'm certainly not willing to try it again!
    I'd say that's because of the SSDs you used or your RAID setup. There's nothing inherently wrong with SSDs in RAID.

Would a raid 10 array of 4 x 10k drives not serve you better in terms of having a good iops and redundancy?
    -> INCEPTION HOSTING LIMITED Since 2010!
    -> I am most active on the lowendspirit hosting forum Come join us!
    -> PHOENIX USA & THE NETHERLANDS & UK EU

Quote Originally Posted by Orien View Post
    I'd say that's because of the SSDs you used or your RAID setup. There's nothing inherently wrong with SSDs in RAID.
    I fear that might be the case, but I have no idea since I'm not willing to try another SSD RAID setup.

I'm guessing you've been successful with an SSD RAID setup then?
    » Xagga Hosting - extra-value UK-based web host
    » VPSnodes.net - the UK's ultimate VPS provider

» t: 020 33 973 775 | e: contact[at]ellogroup.com