Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Windows Server 2003 R2, 2008 or 2008 R2 for my GSP ?

Hello people!

well, im starting a new GSP company and im wondering wich will be the best OS for my servers:

1) Windows server 2003 R2
    2) Windows Server 2008
    3) Windows Server 2008 R2

The OS MUST be windows because im going to use TCADMIN as the panel.

The Dedicated servers that i bought have this specs:

*Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 (overclocked to 3.2ghz)
    *8gb ram
    *2x320gb sata2 raid0 128k stripe
    *Nvidia 9300 chipset motherboard.

I know that windows server 2003 eats a LOT less RAM that 2008, but i heard that it has a bad memory management so its necesary to restart the server very frequently to unload the RAM, and that 2008 doesnt has that problem.

So, what do you think? 2003 R2, 2008 or 2008 R2 ?????

Thankyou very much in advance

Win 2008 R2 can use max to 256 CPU (~64 Physical CPU)
    With your server, I think you can use Win2008

Windows Server 2008 R2
    WebSitePanel/ MspControl / SolidCP / Smartermail / Installation / Configuration / Troubleshooting / Migrations
    Windows Server Management / Security / Hardening
    I speak English and Spanish

2008 R2 all the way.
    Charles @ Nexeon Technologies - Have a question? PM or email me directly! - c[@]nexeon.com
    InstantDedis.com - Instantly delivered dedicated servers located in Chicago, New York, and more

Windows 2008 & R2 is not fully supported by TCAdmin and has a few issues. I suggest going with Windows 2003 until it's fully supported.

2003 R2 Enterprise x64 for the game server

Quote Originally Posted by [Enotch] Mike View Post
    2003 R2 Enterprise x64 for the game server
    No need for enterprise it's a waste of money. Standard is just fine.

But Enterprise is cooler! lol, but seriously, Standard is fine, Just get 64 bit.

Quote Originally Posted by XFactorServers View Post
    Windows 2008 & R2 is not fully supported by TCAdmin and has a few issues. I suggest going with Windows 2003 until it's fully supported.
    You make it sound like TCAdmin is actually doing something behind the scenes. That software is stalled, theres been nothing new and exciting from them since they launched.

However I agree, 2003 if you with TCAdmin, less bugs like that notorious resource graph bug *cough* lol.
    Steven Crothers
    No BS cloud engineer and Red Hat architect.

Quote Originally Posted by Crothers View Post
    You make it sound like TCAdmin is actually doing something behind the scenes. That software is stalled, theres been nothing new and exciting from them since they launched.

However I agree, 2003 if you with TCAdmin, less bugs like that notorious resource graph bug *cough* lol.
    lol, Crothers. I will not deny your first or second sentence.

Except my last sentence was poorly formed ha
    Steven Crothers

hi again!!!
    thanks everybody for your answers, i really appreciate it.

now, suppose that im NOT going to use TCadmin, the difference between Windows server 2003r2 and windows server 2008/r2 is really notorious?

because if it is, i can change the panel for other, i prefer better performance and more game servers in my dedicateds than a panel.
    And another question... is there any panel that fully supports ws2008 ?

thankyou very much again!

Rams cheap, go 2008 x64. Some people like R2, some don't. Its up to you from there.
    Steven Crothers

Windows 2008 R2 is 64 bit so it will take 1 GB from your system. Still the best option. Just make sure you buy 4 GB RAM sticks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultima VPS View Post
    Windows 2008 R2 is 64 bit so it will take 1 GB from your system. Still the best option. Just make sure you buy 4 GB RAM sticks.
    Out of curiosity, why do you recommend 4gig sticks? I've heard that from a few people now, something about the density provides higher utilization of the ram speed or something, though I've ever seen any proof or papers on that.
    Steven Crothers

Out of curiosity, why do you recommend 4gig sticks? I've heard that from a few people now, something about the density provides higher utilization of the ram speed or something, though I've ever seen any proof or papers on that.
    Just because the 4GB stick gives the best bang for buck. I'd recommend 8GB sticks but they are still too expensive.

How many Counter Strike Source Servers do you think each dedicated server can handle? (at stock tickrate / fps)

and also.. do you know any game panel fully compatible with windows server 2008 ? please, recommend me one!

Quote Originally Posted by gamesfirst View Post
    How many Counter Strike Source Servers do you think each dedicated server can handle? (at stock tickrate / fps)

and also.. do you know any game panel fully compatible with windows server 2008 ? please, recommend me one!
    Between 1 and 101.

There is no answer that will be more specific than that.
    Steven Crothers

Between 1 and 101.

There is no answer that will be more specific than that.
    ok, and about the panel??
    is there any panel that supports windows server 2008 ?

TCAdmin does - with a few bugs. There are no other windows game panels really :\
    Steven Crothers

win server 03 is much more stable in my point of view

Quote Originally Posted by userkiller View Post
    win server 03 is much more stable in my point of view
    From experience of running thousands of Windows 2008 VPS I'd say the opposite. This might be due to Hyper-V but even our shared setup on Windows 2008 is a lot more stable (we never hear from clients!).

There is GameCP. I haven't used it and I would just recommend using TCAdmin.

Window server 2003 and Window server 2008 both work with TCadmin
    however, 2008 still has bugs since its a newer OS compared to 2003.
    Such as BSOD, weird crashes, etc.

It also depends what type of FPS server you want to run. 2008 can reach up to 1000fps, however 2003 can only reach about 600 fps max. (half life + source games only)

2008 OS cost more than 2003 since its newer, and it does take a little more ram than 2003.

I been using 2008 R2 so far, and its great so far..but thats my own preference. some people might like 2008 R1 or 2003 better than 2008 R2.

There is no such thing or an "EXACT" amount of how many game servers/slots you can be running because we won't know what you will be hosting as well such as a web server, sql database, other applications, etc.

The only best panel for Windows would be TCadmin .. GameCP is in beta, but currently not better than TCadmin which also cost for an license.

Linux has few more but nothing else for Windows.

Also don't forget to NEVER stack/overload your box with tons of game servers because that is a no no and you upset the clients and lose them quickly!

So before you start doing it, come up with a plan or a decision of what type of games, fps, pricing you have set, and how you are going to manage your own server because you never want to stack servers.

good luck

Quote Originally Posted by GNS_Harrison View Post
    Window server 2003 and Window server 2008 both work with TCadmin
    however, 2008 still has bugs since its a newer OS compared to 2003.
    Such as BSOD, weird crashes, etc.

It also depends what type of FPS server you want to run. 2008 can reach up to 1000fps, however 2003 can only reach about 600 fps max. (half life + source games only)

2008 OS cost more than 2003 since its newer, and it does take a little more ram than 2003.

I been using 2008 R2 so far, and its great so far..but thats my own preference. some people might like 2008 R1 or 2003 better than 2008 R2.

There is no such thing or an "EXACT" amount of how many game servers/slots you can be running because we won't know what you will be hosting as well such as a web server, sql database, other applications, etc.

The only best panel for Windows would be TCadmin .. GameCP is in beta, but currently not better than TCadmin which also cost for an license.

Linux has few more but nothing else for Windows.

Also don't forget to NEVER stack/overload your box with tons of game servers because that is a no no and you upset the clients and lose them quickly!

So before you start doing it, come up with a plan or a decision of what type of games, fps, pricing you have set, and how you are going to manage your own server because you never want to stack servers.

good luck
    BSOD is not related to tcadmin seems like you have an issue with your machines.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast