Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Will running multiple sites under the same IP hurt SEO?

Only if there is too much interlinking that the SE would see as a manipulative attempt to boost SERP and PR.

In such case that you would want these sites to be interlinked, making them nofollow would be a good option to be on the safer side.
    OneIMS.com - Internet Marketing and SEO

Actually, inway is probably correct about addon domain hurting SEO. Aaron Wall, the SEO expert (www.seobook.com) said the same thing in a forum posting recently:

Here is the question posted on his forum:
    I was trying to set-up another domain of my shared hosting account. I realized that the new domain is created as a sub-domain to the original domain I set up my account with.

ex. newdomain.originaldomain.com

I talked to support and he told me that is how all shared hosting works. From my understanding I now have content from all my new sites indirectly connected to my original site? The host service is Bluehost.com

If this is the case should I just go with another hosting company to make sure my domains and content are kept separate. Aaron mentioned Pair as a good hosting company, do they do the same thing described above or is each domain totally separate?
    Here is Aaron's answer:
    you want your domains to be separate... like if somehow you get indexed under newdomain.olddomain.com you will have massive duplicate content issues.
    Last edited by ramdak5000; 04-29-2008 at 06:35 AM. Reason: typo

You might like to check out this one: http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/myth-b...-ip-addresses/
    WebHosting.com.bd - Web Hosting Bangladesh
    DomainDokan.com - Domain Registration Bangladesh

Quote Originally Posted by dotcomUNDERGROUND View Post
    You might like to check out this one: http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/myth-b...-ip-addresses/
    Good link, but inway's point is about independent domains being set up as add-on domains on the same IP - when they get indexed, they will be treated as duplicate content and penalties will follow, as Aaron Wall pointed out.

If you have multiple domains added as add on domains , it will not not affect any SE rankings . I have 4 of my major sites all added as add on domains and they still possess quite attractive ranking for the select keywords.

Quote Originally Posted by Melnel View Post
    ....Google states that they will not index a domain unless they cannot find at least one link pointing to it and that is sufficient reason for your site not to be indexed, you don't have to look any further, Now you can make me look like a fool by showing us that the other domain was indeed indexed at the same time and that it does not have any links at all pointing to it, but I am willing to take my chances.
    I do not know where Google states that, but if they do they are lying. I had a parked domain get indexed that has NEVER been linked to or advertised in any way. It was a unique name I made up and registered then decided not to use. When I did a search for the name the only hit was a page listing new registrations (mine). After I built the site on another domain name, I found out Google had the parked domain indexed (apparently from registration records). I had to unpark it because it was competing with and actually ranking higher in the SERP than the page it was parked under.

Quote Originally Posted by MrAlaska View Post
    I do not know where Google states that, but if they do they are lying. I had a parked domain get indexed that has NEVER been linked to or advertised in any way. It was a unique name I made up and registered then decided not to use. When I did a search for the name the only hit was a page listing new registrations (mine). After I built the site on another domain name, I found out Google had the parked domain indexed (apparently from registration records). I had to unpark it because it was competing with and actually ranking higher in the SERP than the page it was parked under.
    Let me see what it is that you do not understand. You said that the page was not linked to from anywhere and then you said that there was a link from a page which listed new registrations???

Which is it?
    I plan to live forever - so far so good
    Expert SEO |Sash Windows London

Quote Originally Posted by Melnel View Post
    Let me see what it is that you do not understand. You said that the page was not linked to from anywhere and then you said that there was a link from a page which listed new registrations???

Which is it?
    Why are you saying that I said there was a link from the page that listed new registrations? I did not say that. What I said was "has NEVER been linked to or advertised in any way".

EDIT: Unless google considers anything with ".com" a link whether it is linked or not, in which case all domains will be crawled/indexed upon registration rendering the point moot.
    Last edited by MrAlaska; 05-07-2008 at 06:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrAlaska View Post
    EDIT: Unless google considers anything with ".com" a link whether it is linked or not, in which case all domains will be crawled/indexed upon registration rendering the point moot.
    Edit again: That should have said "all domains will be 'linked to' upon registration rendering the point moot. Whether it gets indexed after a crawl will depend upon other google factors.

No, it will not hurt if your sites are spam/error free.

If your IP is clean, then the sites fetch good results on the web.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12