HiVelocity.net Down Yet Again!

Looks like HiVelocity is down once again. Can't get to their support page or their main home page. Mail servers are down. What is it this time?

Our shared cluster was down this morning for about 25 minutes due to a Ddos attack. We have since mitigated this attack and all shared sites are now back online. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

It is sad that the OP decided to use the "yet again" tag line here as HiVelocity is very rarely down - and the OP has made it sound as if it is a regular occurance which it is not.

HiVelocity has one of the best uptime records we have come across - although we are on dedicated boxes - not VPS.

In our experience with Hivelocity over the past five years...it IS a regular occurrence. Especially for the past two years. We are on a shared server, so your experience with dedicated service may indeed be different than ours. I have the proof too. Our independent monitoring service has verified the extreme outages. They have multiple redundant monitoring services around the world. The week of 1/21/08 our site was down for almost 11 hours straight. A couple of days later it was down for 6.5 hours and 5.5 hours at a time. The next week we were down 5 hours one day and 7.5 hours the next. There have been times in the past two years where our sites were down for 16, 19 hours and even days at a time. About two years ago there was an explosion/fire in the building where Hivelocity is headquartered in downtown Tampa. View the thread about that outage at http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=492824.

So nauae...you are wrong when you say that HiV is "very rarely down". Facts say otherwise.

Bottom line...whether it is caused by power outages, fires, Ddos attacks, etc. HiV downtimes are regular occurrences. Stick around...you'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by rajaman View Post
    In our experience with Hivelocity over the past five years...it IS a regular occurrence. Especially for the past two years. We are on a shared server, so your experience with dedicated service may indeed be different than ours.
    Indeed our experience is very different from yours, and we have multi-point 5 minute interval monitoring in-place for all of our servers with HiVelocity. Downtime has been neglible - and the only real exception recently was when the colo facility went down.

As I said in my original post, your experience is related to VPS - which is subject to a number of factors over-and-above HiVelocity's network - including other users on the same VPS service. That is one of the downsides of VPS and in turn I suppose (don't taken me literally) is why it is conisderably cheaper than going with Dedicated boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by rajaman View Post
    So nauae...you are wrong when you say that HiV is "very rarely down". Facts say otherwise.

Bottom line...whether it is caused by power outages, fires, Ddos attacks, etc. HiV downtimes are regular occurrences. Stick around...you'll see.
    Our facts say different as well - we have log files for our monitoring service that we oursleves operate from our 6 geographically dispersed DC's - plain and simple, our facts say "rarely down"!

We have been with HiVelcoity long enough to gauge overall reliability and, again, I emphasise that we have dedicated servers not VPS. I admit that the case could be different for VPS customers, but then your comment really should reflect that.

That's all I'm trying to get across, generalisation can be a dreadful thing.

Maybe you two are talking about different DCs. HiVelocity has a very small data center of their own in downtown Tampa and colocates a large number of servers in Sago's data center (presumably what they call their "DC2"). So when Sago has a major outage it usually takes down HiVelocity also.

HiVelocity do not state on either their website or TOS/SLA that any server you rent from them might not be physically hosted by them in their DC, making their "tour our data center" and "network performance claims" somewhat misleading.

HangTenOnTheWeb
    http://69.20.37.114/showpost.php?p=4903981&postcount=27

HiVelocity have their own datacenter in downtown Tampa (400 N Tampa St, on the 10th floor if I recall) but it's small and not nearly as much as they need. When you do the datacenter tour on their website, the pictures you see are of the small space at 400 N. Tampa St. The blue rack Steve Eschweiler is leaning on is next to the entry door, hence the hand rail. The number of racks shown in the photo is pretty much the full length of the row (very short rows) and if memory serves, there are only 4 (or so) rows like that. The bakers racks lower on the page-- there are a couple of rows, max. As you see, that room is cramped for space. They may have additional space in another area of the building, but I don't have any knowledge of it, so someone else will have to confirm or deny that. Their colo space at Sago is much larger than the 400 N. Tampa St. location shown in these photos.

Connectivity-wise, as I understand it, they do not buy bandwidth directly from Sago-- just cages and power. They have transport from Sago back to the HV datacenter at 400 N. Tampa where they route traffic out to the internet via their own circuits. (Rumor has it this transport runs through Sago's network core, and if this is true, whenever Sago has a core network outage, HV can lose its transport.)

About HV's own datacenter space and colo, I know first hand. About who provides the transport between Sago and HV, this is what I've heard from keeping my ears open to the local tech chatter. There may be more to the story, and I don't claim to know it all.
    Last edited by dotHostel; 02-16-2008 at 04:51 PM.

Yes, I believe our servers are located at Sago's facility - although apart from the problem when Sago lost backup power recently - we've been stable and up for a pretty long time - and by that I mean many months without any down time.