Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

And why hostjury is still a joke

Some weeks ago (or maybe couple of months, not sure of that) I was contacted by David (of fused.com) who claim to have not relationship with hostjury anymore other than host it, about having problems to login to our affiliate program, I was surprised that he did it, because as everybody can search here, we don't like each other, so, I did a small search and found 2 or 3 recently possitive reviews about us at http://hostjury.com/reviews/downtown-host

I told to David that I removed his affiliate account a few years ago since I don't want to have any kind of relationship with his scam site, he never answer, today, after a menace of a kid (jack cunning if anybody wants to know) of expect negative reviews about us even when he never was a customer, I started to search on different review sites if he actually did it, when I visited http://hostjury.com/reviews/downtown-host I found that the possitive reviews were removed (as he did it before though), he only leave negative reviews about us and those are not even checked actually, since I saw there negative reviews of us of people who never ever had an account with us.

So, if anybody is looking for unbiased site, it can stay very far away of hostjury.com
    Last edited by Jedito; 03-27-2013 at 08:33 PM.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Jedito View Post
    So, if anybody is looking for unbiased site, it can stay very far away of hostjury.com
    AFAIK there are currently no unbiased host review sites. If there are some they're heavily monetized with a bazillion ads and of course affiliate links galore.

Someone needs to step in and change that ...
    What's your budget?

Seriously, what's your budget?

Sorry to hear about that

I'll continue to share my good experiences with DTH though
    ██████████
    ██████████
    ██████████

Quote Originally Posted by RossMAN View Post
    AFAIK there are currently no unbiased host review sites. If there are some they're heavily monetized with a bazillion ads and of course affiliate links galore.

Someone needs to step in and change that ...
    Yes Sir, I'm working on that. I am planning a honest review site tied to a community. I'll try to make the site community monitored. But I think that is far into the near future along with my perl based billing system and so on.

I do agree though. Go to all the sites and find the #1 Host, sign up and get downtime and poor customer service. Thats the name of the game.

I'm sure plenty of customers get tired of it and then find them selves not trusting no review site. Then they end up here and the Honorable Judge/Jury WHT. True Story

I myself have never come across a review site that was unbiased.

Sorry to hear of your troubles though and hope those who enjoy your services will Continue to spread the good word.

Chad
    Webmasterbabble.com Webmaster Forum
    Come join us at webmasterbabble.com

In my opinion the best form of review system is a community such as what is going on here at WHT. It is unbiased and in most cases there will be discussions about the said host before someone purchases from them.
    Vervex Hosting - Your security is our priority.
    █ Shared Hosting - 30 Day Money-Back Guarantee
    Tim [at] VervexHosting.com - My Public Key

That's what I'm working on now, and have been for a year. It's almost done. Portions have been released already, and there's more to come throughout the year.

Just remember that affiliate links aren't bad ... but advice based on amounts are. Some folks have this weird idea that you can't have affiliate links, so the site makes nothing (mostly to pay for itself). The hosts are obviously going to make money, so I can't see why the referring site can't at least pay for itself .... as long as the advice is honest, not based on pay, and will include non-affiliate hosts.

But here's the thing... Most good hosts DO have an affiliate program for $10 to $50. The ones that have none, or the ones that pay $80-100+, are usually the crappy hosts.

The hardest part is creating a system that can't be gamed by hosts. Or "hosts".

I'm working with 2-3 others to create it.

And indeed, there must be a community component. It serves as a system of checks and balances. But there's also more shills/spam to deal with. (Note that it will never replace WHT; it's complementary.)

It isn't easy, and takes a LOT of time.

<< snipped >>

In the end, when there is a financial interest there is a natural biased, no way around that. Websites like HostJury and plenty of others (including findmyhost.com, etc.) all operate a hosting company (or companies) alongside their review sites. It's no surprise that they place their own hosting websites at the forefront.

You want a good review site model? Anyone remember findmyhosting.com before the hurricane? Now that was a winner. Now it's just a collection of the top 10 affiliate program payouts.
    Last edited by Ash; 03-28-2013 at 10:04 AM.
    * GeekStorage.com - Offering awesome website hosting for over 13 years!
    * Shared Hosting * Reseller Hosting * Virtual Private Servers * Dedicated Servers
    * Have questions? Send us an e-mail, we'd love to hear from you!

Quote Originally Posted by Jay H View Post
    << snipped >>

In the end, when there is a financial interest there is a natural biased, no way around that. Websites like HostJury and plenty of others (including findmyhost.com, etc.) all operate a hosting company (or companies) alongside their review sites. It's no surprise that they place their own hosting websites at the forefront.

You want a good review site model? Anyone remember findmyhosting.com before the hurricane? Now that was a winner. Now it's just a collection of the top 10 affiliate program payouts.
    I see many directories with ads on where the owners do not remove the reviews under their sole discretion, an example of that is hostsearch.com, you can see good reviews and bad reviews there, sure, you may find "shill" reviews too, but I find that more honest (from the directory point of view) than when a host own a directory and remove positive reviews of competitors to keep his site on top or just because it doesn't like the host getting the positive reviews.
    Last edited by Jedito; 03-28-2013 at 11:02 AM.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

you can see good reviews and bad reviews there
    I don't know what you are talking about. When I view hosts at Hostjury.com the reviews are always mixed, good and bad.

And as far as validating reviews and recommendations, that's a joke anywhere - even here on WHT. I said I liked MediaLayer and didn't feel like revealing my domains so the mods deleted my posts, yet many, many, many other people say the say thing and are never asked to prove anything. Not to mention the endless "EIG Sucks (drool)". So, yeah, "most influential" doesn't mean squat.
    Last edited by TheJoker; 03-28-2013 at 11:17 AM.

I see many directories with ads on where the owners do not remove the reviews under their sole discretion, an example of that is hostsearch.com, you can see good reviews and bad reviews there, sure, you may find "shill" reviews too, but I find that more honest (from the directory point of view) than when a host own a directory and remove positive reviews of competitors to keep his site on top or just because it doesn't like the host getting the positive reviews.
    No disagreement here.
    * GeekStorage.com - Offering awesome website hosting for over 13 years!
    * Shared Hosting * Reseller Hosting * Virtual Private Servers * Dedicated Servers
    * Have questions? Send us an e-mail, we'd love to hear from you!

I don't know what you are talking about. When I view hosts at Hostjury.com the reviews are always mixed, good and bad.
    That may be for some hosts, at least, with us, I know that bad reviews are not even check (I know it because there were some bad reviews of us of people who never has been our customer) and good reviews are removed.
    As I clearly explained on the first posts, we got at hostjury some good reviews lately, when I told him David that he was removed from our affiliate program, he removed the good reviews, but of course, he left there the bad ones....
    Last edited by Jedito; 03-28-2013 at 11:32 AM.

It is unfortunate that these problems happen but at the end of the day it is clear the website is a business designed to earn money and probably successful at it.

Even when it's not hosting, with all products/services, it is good to use multiple sources for reviews and information. And no better way exists than trying it out yourself too, if you are willing.

It is unfortunate that these problems happen but at the end of the day it is clear the website is a business designed to earn money and probably successful at it.
    I fully understand that, what I find really dishonest is how he removed good reviews just because we don't accept him on our affiliate program, indeed, he is trying to damage our reputation leaving mostly negative reviews there.

he removed good reviews just because we don't accept him on our affiliate program, indeed, he is trying to damage our reputation leaving mostly negative reviews there.
    If that is true, it's unfortunate.

I remember that site removed every review I made, including the one for downtown host. But that was years ago. Does not surprise me that they are up to the same no good tactics.

I don't even dare try and post my powermonster review on there.

Well, since other people are confirming that legit reviews are being removed from the site, I guess my last hope for a reputable hosting review site is a wash.

Quote Originally Posted by Amy-T View Post
    I remember that site removed every review I made, including the one for downtown host. But that was years ago. Does not surprise me that they are up to the same no good tactics.

I don't even dare try and post my powermonster review on there.
    Yes, they added back yours after that you complained here. I know that some others were removed too.

There is one review site besides this one (meaning webhostingtalk) that I think has good and legit reviews. As far as I know any way. I posted a few on it and none have gotten deleted. It has a similar name called webhostingjury.com. I go to it some times. Infact I was looking on it earlier before coming here to find out why elief is no longer promoted by ocportal. I also wanted to look up their new host.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJoker View Post

And as far as validating reviews and recommendations, that's a joke anywhere - even here on WHT. I said I liked MediaLayer and didn't feel like revealing my domains so the mods deleted my posts, yet many, many, many other people say the say thing and are never asked to prove anything. Not to mention the endless "EIG Sucks (drool)". So, yeah, "most influential" doesn't mean squat.
    Question...why do you not verify the domains. It only makes your comments stronger within the argument. I know the tiresome EIG runaround gets the favor, but for any of those arguments I was in, I could prove my experience which made the comment valid.

I said I liked MediaLayer and didn't feel like revealing my domains so the mods deleted my posts, yet many, many, many other people say the say thing and are never asked to prove anything.
    If the mods are aware of it, they will. I know almost every single post I've reported (and followed up on) where someone recommends or dislikes a provider, the mods ask for proof that they are/were hosted there.
    RACK911 Labs | Penetration Testing | https://www.RACK911Labs.ca

www.HostingSecList.com - Security Notices for the Hosting Community.

You could have just reported the domain to the mods. I have seen others do that.
    My site is always in my siggy so I don't worry about it. Although I am down to just one site hosting only on one of the 2 hosts in my siggy though.

Quote Originally Posted by 48-14 View Post
    Question...why do you not verify the domains. It only makes your comments stronger within the argument. I know the tiresome EIG runaround gets the favor, but for any of those arguments I was in, I could prove my experience which made the comment valid.
    I don't feel the need to prove anything to a mod. It's silly anyway. Mods can't always prove I am not affiliated with a site or not by simply throwing out a domain or IP address. It proves nothing except that domain hosted with a host some point in time or that IP belongs to a host.

Blah, all you need is WHT. And on HD I would say all you need is HD.
    HostXNow - Shared Web Hosting | Semi Dedicated Hosting | Enterprise Reseller Hosting | VPS Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by HostXNow View Post
    Blah, all you need is WHT. And on HD I would say all you need is HD.
    HD as in high Definition?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast