* 40,000 or more new gTLD's such as .web, .google and .lol in a few years from now?

Imagine… 40,000 or more new gTLD strings such as .web, .google and .lol in a few years from now?

In a recent blog post, Frank Schilling of NA Media, owner of close to 400,000 domain names, one of the domain industry’s most powerful and successful individuals of all time has made some bold predictions regarding new gTLD’s. In the post titled “In New gTLDs, The Only Certainty is Change” Schilling brings up a few very real (potentially) scenario’s that could play out in as little as a few years from now that would forever change the internet naming system that we have all gotten so used to. Schilling predicts:

“The big brands that were not in the first round of applications will exert immense pressure to have the application window open again and there will be 10,000 strings in round 2, followed by 30,000 more in round 3. Once again, I predict no shortage of willing participants who hope to emulate the Fortune 1,000.”

Currently there are around 315 top level domains in the world, according to the IANA’s Root Zone Database. There are 293 ccTLD’s such as .UK, .CN and .DE. 14 sponsored sTLD’s such as .MOBI, .TRAVEL, and the recently approved .XXX. 4 original gTLD’s: .COM, .NET, .ORG which are the most popular, and .INFO. 3 gTLD’s that are/were restricted: .NAME, .PRO and .BIZ.

... read the rest of the post at http://www.domainnamenews.com/new-gt...from-now/10958
    Expiring Domain Lists @ DomainStryker.com
    SnapNames, NameJet and GoDaddy

Whats this mean for people that make a living off selling domains... I know there will still be high value domains but surely this will be reduced...
    Automated, Secure & Low Cost cPanel Backups (on the cloud)
    For Users & Web Hosting Providers - User Backups

I don't think this is a good move ...
    PlotHost - Secure Web Hosting Plans - Since 2008
    Shared and Reseller Plans | 24x7 Technical Support

but who would want a .google address? this would just be confusing, and I can't see google allowing it

It is not going for google address, its going to for their use, they might create some sub domain and creating so many domain names in it.

I read a blog post about it at Google's Official blog. However I don't think, it is a good idea. It will create more confusion among visitors.

Source: http://googleblog.blogspot.com.br/20...ain-space.html

I dont Think this much gTLD's will come, becouse it require huge investment, and approval process is also tough.
    █ .IN Domain Registration http://www.india.dj
    █ Reseller also available

(said as someone who operates a business selling one of the widest ranges of TLDs) - I must admit this is rather silly. If we really do end up with a flood of new gTLDs (which in all likely hood will happen) it's just going to create more chaos, it's already difficult enough for companies to protect their brands (by owning their brandname.tld) and this will just open it up further, I also worry somewhat that this could create a crush on the smaller ccTLDs which could potentially restrict their already limited income.

that move gonna make WWW world traffic more difficult and jam due to more Trash webs. Such a silly move.

Take a look at all the new gTLD applications here...

http://newgtlds.icann.org/en/program...utc-13jun12-en

Interesting prediction, looks like time will have to tell!

Quote Originally Posted by Looie View Post
    but who would want a .google address? this would just be confusing, and I can't see google allowing it
    I don't think Google would allow users to use .google .

I think they would just use it for themselves on their products / services.

New tld are very much useful. This will help us to get more information on specified information on some specified domains.

Quote Originally Posted by Namesbeyond View Post
    New tld are very much useful. This will help us to get more information on specified information on some specified domains.
    Errr.... what?

Quote Originally Posted by Respite View Post
    Whats this mean for people that make a living off selling domains... I know there will still be high value domains but surely this will be reduced...
    One thing you have to keep in mind is that for 98% of "normal" people, having a website means having a .com domain name. If you're a business, you can't simply by MyBusinessName.foo and expect people to remember that. It's the same problem with .net and .org. You *can* use it as your primary business site, but you're going to lose a lot of traffic to the people who automatically go to MyBusinessName.com.

If you're a domain name investor, .com is and will remain king of the hill for a long time to come. Valuations might fall some, but business will continue to need the .com for their business name in order to have a viable web presence.

who want .google

Quote Originally Posted by pigdoll View Post
    who want .google
    Google

gmail.google
    search.google
    googleplus.google
    images.google
    etc

It's like the whole internet space is undergoing a huge change. Imagine visiting a site called www.____.baby or www.____.pizza. It'll take a while to get used to all this. Also, .google sounds weird now, but I'm sure it'll catch on really fast.

I still think that the vast majority of the new TLDs either won't catch on (.travel, anyone?), or that they'll just capture a niche market (like .coop).

Who would want to register something ending in .lol?

I wouldn't be too surprised to see joke websites/funny websites coming up that end in .lol. Would make them distinctive from the others, giving them their own identity. Plus, .travel would be a huge boon for travel websites. But having said this, I'm sure that a lot of gTLDs won't do THAT well as we'd expect them to.

Quote Originally Posted by Shravan_Shah View Post
    Plus, .travel would be a huge boon for travel websites.
    .travel already exists. It was created about ten years ago, in the first wave of new GTLDs, along with the likes of .info and .biz and .museum

I think you've just proved what a complete flop it is...