Hybrid View

* heads up...iis6.0!

Heads up people, looks like microsoft HAS already deployed their new web server into production, a.k.a. IIS6.0

http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph/....microsoft.com

I heard about this on another forum. This should generate some interest
    spam --> /dev/null

unknown OS

Originally posted by MTG
    unknown OS
    I'm willing to bet is a Windows based machine... Unless they have made a unique version of iis for their use and are running it on a *nix system...

Personally, I've grown quite fond of Apache...
    Don't like what I say? Ignore me.

it's probabbly the new .net stuff...

The 'unknown' is caused by the massive amount firewalling, and load balancing to keep their servers up.

i read somewhere, i think it was computer weekly or something along those lines, that they run a heavily moded version of win 2000 as they get hacked so often. that may be why it comes up unknown.

or what JTY said. eithers good.
    l 201TB.com • 201TB bandwidth as standard in three USA DC’s. KVMoIP, auto reboot & OS install all included - Now available in the Netherlands!
    l udedi.com • UK, USA & NL unmetered 100mb & 1GB 100TB premium bandwidth servers
    l Assiva Ltd • UK Shared & Reseller LiteSpeed • 10 years of hosting • R1Soft

Microsoft run a mixture of systems on microsoft.com and partner sites, however it is all 100% Microsoft. They use Compaq Proliant and Dell PowerEdge Servers.

Currently they are running Windows .NET with IIS 6.0 and Windows 2000 Advanced Server with IIS 5.0 in clusters.

They did the same thing when Windows 2000 went into beta testing, they ran part of the network on NT4 and part on Win2k beta.

However, one point I should make here, when they run beta software they have the Windows development team standing by encase anything goes wrong. So it's not like just anyone beta testing. It is also good as it helps iron out most of the bugs before final release. They don't however run their whole network on .NET/IIS 6.0.

They have actually been using IIS 6.0 on production servers since the fall of 2001, so it's nothing new
    Last edited by Rochen; 08-02-2002 at 06:47 PM.

is there anything you don't know rochen?
    l 201TB.com • 201TB bandwidth as standard in three USA DC’s. KVMoIP, auto reboot & OS install all included - Now available in the Netherlands!
    l udedi.com • UK, USA & NL unmetered 100mb & 1GB 100TB premium bandwidth servers
    l Assiva Ltd • UK Shared & Reseller LiteSpeed • 10 years of hosting • R1Soft

Where babies come from

Originally posted by rochen
    Microsoft run a mixture of systems on microsoft.com and partner sites, however it is all 100% Microsoft. They use Compaq Proliant and Dell PowerEdge Servers.

Yeah, looks like hotmail finally moved off the qmail servers

is there anything you don't know rochen?
    Where babies come from

Originally posted by The Prohacker

Yeah, looks like hotmail finally moved off the qmail servers
    Yeah, I used to have one of the old accounts on there, the SPAM has gone up and up ever since my account got moved

Man the amount of hotmail spam is untrue. I wanna know how they get your address

Originally posted by The Laughing Cow
    Man the amount of hotmail spam is untrue. I wanna know how they get your address
    I know, I was just thinking the same because I am not listed and never have been listed in the hotmail or any directory. I am also not subscribed to any of the MSN Newsletters. I don't use hotmail that much, so it doesn't really bother me. Maybe Bill has been selling the addresses in bulk on the side for a few billion

Originally posted by The Laughing Cow
    Sometimes MS has to 'reset' their database, and your settings to stay out of the public dir's get set to yes instead of no

Or an accident happens, and they all default to yes

The 'unknown' is caused by the massive amount firewalling, and load balancing to keep their servers up.
    Yeah... That's it....
    Mike @ Xiolink.com
    http://www.xiolink.com 1-877-4-XIOLINK
    Advanced Managed Microsoft Hosting
    "Your data... always within reach"

Sometimes MS has to 'reset' their database, and your settings to stay out of the public dir's get set to yes instead of no

Or an accident happens, and they all default to yes
    LOL!

Hotmail sucks

Cool

Originally posted by RackMy.com
    Yeah... That's it....
    I remember when they were testing Win2k against hackers.

They had a full firewall, blocking everything.

What they did for win2k was, they put up a server on the internet and tolled people to try and hack it and they gave prizes out for those who found a bug in the OS security, I wonder if they will do the same with .NET

Originally posted by rochen
    What they did for win2k was, they put up a server on the internet and tolled people to try and hack it and they gave prizes out for those who found a bug in the OS security, I wonder if they will do the same with .NET
    They must have given loads of prizes away

They must have given loads of prizes away
    I think it was all stuff like free copies of Win2k pro etc. but yeah, it must have taken a lot of CDs

They were also called to task for that by the government for promoting hacking...

whatever it is..seems like they're ready enough to lauch iis6 pretty soon otherwise they would not have put it up especially on the microsoft.com domain. i bet there's thousands of people banging those servers everyday waiting for it to crumble and fall . i for one would be pleased if it did!
    spam --> /dev/null