domain name transfer - name server change ??

Greetings -
    So, my domain name are in the transfer queue.

I've accepted the transfer at securepaynet.net, so presumably whatever goes on behind the scenes to effect the transfer is taking place.

Does this mean that my Name Server will now change and, if so, do I have to notify my web host?
    Thanks.
    - Richard

So you are transferring AWAY from GoDaddy or one of their resellers?

Unless you explicitly specify it, name servers do not change during registrar transfer.

I wish you have not fallen prey to some indecent hosts who trick unsuspected customers into transferring their domains FOR HOSTING.
    Co-Founder @HostHideout. Profoundly influenced by #Bauhaus, @Nameslave unrepentantly embraces #Minimalism with a bias for functionality, color theory and pixel precision: a #multimedia messenger in the McLuhan sense. His totally irrelevant M.Ed. dissertation examines Organizational Culture and Change Management. He also likes Patrik Ervell, Wong Kar-wai and IKEA.

Quote Originally Posted by nameslave View Post
    So you are transferring AWAY from GoDaddy or one of their resellers?
    Transferring from Wild West / goDaddy to nameCheap.
    Unless you explicitly specify it, name servers do not change during registrar transfer.
    Thanks.
    I wish you have not fallen prey to some indecent hosts who trick unsuspected customers into transferring their domains FOR HOSTING.
    I don't believe I've fallen prey to anything. Per the conventional/received wisdom on this forum, my registrar & host are different entities (AxisHost is my site host).

A domain registration with WildWest/goDaddy was expiring. I have a handful of domains that I want to consolidate.

I looked. I read. I opted for nameCheap 'cause, as far as I was concerned, they best explained the transfer process on their site. And Richard's (enetwork) presence here on WHT certainly influenced that decision.

The entire transfer process (which I started last night) took approximately 12 hours.

My site still seems to be up. All appears well.

- Richard
    Last edited by expatCanuck; 06-18-2008 at 09:29 AM.

Namecheap is a good option in my opinion.
    The fact that they have what seems to be a reliable presence here
    (enetwork)is, I would think, reassuring to anyone with any lingering questions.

I do not think your DNS will change, or that you will need
    to change them at any point.

Quote Originally Posted by mozzeratti View Post
    ... I do not think your DNS will change, or that you will need to change them at any point.
    Indeed, the DNS did not change -- I've since learned that the web host determines the DNS settings.

But what I did have to do was specify the correct DNS settings in the nameCheap control panel -- for whatever reason, the existing settings weren't ported automagically. (The fine folk at AxisHost, the hosting company of my site, so informed me.)

- Richard