Repointing domain name

Hello all,

I'm wondering how you would point a domain name to an IP address?
    Yes, I know it's world DNS that needs updating

I have done some work for a business who have a static IP address, they would like their domain name which is currently used at a hosting company, pointing to their ip.

As I've never done this, I thought I'd ask an expert.

Thanks in advance.

Dave.

Using the registrar to update the A host record with the new IP address?

Correct. If your simply wanting to point their "www.website.com" to their ip 1.2.3.4 add an A record pointing it to "website.com".

yes, create a A record from domain control panel.
    YagHost - Fast Reliable Hosting Since 2009
    Managed VPS - NVMe DirectAdmin
    Web Hosting - NVMe SSD, AMD EPYC, 10 Gbps (US, Europe, Singapore)

Quote Originally Posted by Hb21l6 View Post
    Using the registrar to update the A host record with the new IP address?
    Not sure what you mean by "A host record". If you're talking about a hostname record at the registrar then no - what you want is an A record at the domain nameservers, wherever they are. So first you need to know where the DNS is hosted ie. whose nameservers are in use. If the domain is currently using the hosting companies nameservers then you may want to change that too eg. to use the registrar's free DNS service. Once they switch their website away from the hosting company, are they planning to close that account? If so you definitely need to make sure first that the domain isn't still delegated to the hosting company nameservers.

Then it's perhaps obvious but do they already have a webserver working on their IP address, all set up ready to host the website? If not then that's another job to do before switching DNS.
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

Thank you for the detailed reply foobic, and everyone else's comments.

Yes, I know who the registrar is, and using 'who is' online tools I can see which ns servers (hosting companies) they are pointed to. I just need to update the registrars A record to point to the businesses IP.

Basically, they currently have a basic web site... I've written an ecommerce and stock control system along with a new responsive web site. Using .net. They would like the server onsite to perform backups maintenance etc.. (DMZed of course).

I've always left it to someone else to sort this, just wanted to know how to do it myself.

Thanks for your replies.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Hb21l6 View Post
    Yes, I know who the registrar is, and using 'who is' online tools I can see which ns servers (hosting companies) they are pointed to. I just need to update the registrars A record to point to the businesses IP.
    No. If the nameserver records for the domain are at the hosting company, you need to change the A record at the hosting company - not the registrar. But if you're planning to close the hosting company account after the website is pointed to the local IP then you'll also need to change where the nameservers are hosted, and you may as well do that first.

Edit: Also, standard advice for hosting a website locally: Don't do it unless you have very good reason to. You'll generally get lower performance, less reliablility and far less cost-effectiveness compared to a quality hosting provider.
    Last edited by foobic; 01-06-2014 at 04:15 AM.
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter