What's the NORMAL load on a quad core 8 hyperthread machine?

Hello,
    Can you please tell me or explain what the normal load should be for a quad core 8 hyperthread i7 machine.
    Using the free way car speed explanation, I understand that 4.0 is the optimal load on a 4-core machine but with hyperthreading in the pics, I don't understand.

Can someone please explain?

Does 8HT means I have more core power? If yes, how much should I assume?

Thanks

The idea of hyperthreading is that another process can be executed on one of the physical cores when they are not fully utilized, allowing more efficient use of CPU time.

You should still aim for a load average of around 4 on a quadcore system, even with HT. This is assuming its a cPanel/LAMP setup. If its a VPS node with OpenVZ/Virtuozzo then you expect a higher load due to the higher number of processes running on the system.

That said, load isnt an entirley accurate measure of how your system is performing. You should focus on iowait and cpu idle time as well.

When we look load on machine we usual use that info for "quick" reference to see if something "funky" is goin on at server or not.

You can have load 2.0 - or 20.0 and still server can work OK - all depends on setup and what type of workload

There is some general "myth" that 4 cores means 4.0 load is OK - but honestly, that makes no sense what so ever this days. (You also said that as fact "I understand that 4.0 is the optimal load" ).

Load avarage on server is not just CPU load, but everything, for example if your server start to swap - your load will go up - that dont means your CPU is overloaded, get it? And you cant fix with swaping your CPU for faster or whatever, caust that's not your issue in first place.

AS Chris said - you should focus on iowait and see how much your cpu's ar really idle.

Regarding HT - maybe people confuse this for "additional" cpu cores. You can get some performance from HT in some specific tasks.

In real life, extra performance can be from 0% to 20% - again, as so many people you ar focused on your CPU - while you should switch that to other things on system.
    SubHosting.net – Managed dedicated and VPS servers.
    http://www.SubHosting.net