Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Backordering

I couldn't find anything about their (e3internet) auctions on their website.
    Signature Under Construction.

OK. I just wanted to add to the knowledge base about 1&1 (Schlund + Partner) registered domains, which I never covered initially.

At 1&1 (Schlund + Partner) there is no Renewal Grace Period AT ALL. Once the domain expires, it immediately goes into a 30 day Redemption Grace Period. The fee to get it out of Redemption is $40. After the 30 day RGP is over, they delete the domain from the registry. Here is the link to their FAQ.. http://faq.1and1.com/domains/other_i...domains/2.html

the most popular registrar that does backordering is godaddy they sell the expired and registered domain name at very cheap rate starting from 7$

OK. It's probably time for an update on how to make a backorder. So here it is.

The absolutely best way to acquire an expiring domain is to buy it before it expires from the current owner. Advantages: You get to the domain before it even expires and eliminate all competition from any backorder service or person. Disadvantages: You alert the current owner to any potential interest in the domain.

The next best way to acquire an expiring domain is to backorder it.....

If it's a GoDaddy registered domain backorder it at GoDaddy. You pay $18.95 up front and if you don't capture the domain you can still use the credit to backorder another domain until you eventually capture one. There are no refunds. If it's backordered already, you might want to monitor it at GoDaddy's auction house TDNAM on a half-weekly basis from about 30 days after expiry until it either expired or is renewed. For insurance, you might want to also consider bids at SnapNames and Pool (also if it's backordered already at GoDaddy).

If it's at eNom or eNom Reseller, you should monitor Club Drop on a half-weekly basis from about 28 days after expiry until the time it drops or is renewed. eNom have a tendency to hang onto domains from 3 months up to 1 year in Extended Redemption Grace Period. So don't get disappointed if it doesn't drop. For insurance, you might want to also consider bids at SnapNames and Pool.

If it's registered anywhere else backorder it at SnapNames and Pool. Your initial bid is $60 but you don't pay unless you win. If you are the only backorderer, you win immediately. If there is more that 1 backorder for the domain, there will be a short 3-day auction. It's up to you if you want to participate or not. The most critical time is the last 5 minutes of any auction. things really hot-up then if there are lots of backorderers. Any bid in the last 5 minutes extends the auction by 5 minutes. You should place the highest bit 6 minutes before the close and hope everyone else is asleep. Monitor the auction closely until it closes or you lose interest.

People have asked "if i bid at both SnapNames and Pool, aren't I competing against myself?". Well the answer is NO. You want to be on the list of backorderers for that domain at whoever captures that domain. So you might win the domain outright (no other backorderers at the winning drop-catcher) or at least be in the auction. If you only bid at one and the other captures the domain, you lose.

If the domain is not captured using these tactics, all is not yet lost. The domain may have been captured by a domain taster. What they do is taste the domain for 4 1/2 days and either keep it or let it drop. There can be one domain taster after another tasting the domain every 5 days. This can go on for months. GoDaddy are very good at capturing these kinds of domains. Afaik, they are the only backorder company who continue to monitor the domain after the inital drop. So either backorder it at GoDaddy or wait for it to finally drop and you can register it again. You should never visit the domain or do a whois lookup if it's captured by a drop-catcher. Stealth is required in order to never give the domain taster an inkling that there might be someone else interest in the domain. I'd suggest 1 whois lookup every 5+1 days to see if it's still registered.

Mods: feel free to post this in a new thread "Backordering Revisited"
    Last edited by stub; 03-13-2007 at 05:12 AM.

I couldn't find anything about their (e3internet) auctions on their website.
    Hi Stu,

Sorry about that, you've caught us right in the middle of updating several systems, including the domain auctions and the web site seems to be the last thing on the list.

You can access our domain auctions directly here

As Ruptbot pointed out (thanks) we have RSS feeds available at the bottom of the page.

We've also just released a new domain auction valuation tool, which lets you sort the domains by Creation date and Yahoo! links. You also have quick links to the web archive and backlinks themselves. Sign up for email alerts on your search results.

I hope you find that interesting, feel free to PM on any questions, I'd be happy to help.

Nick

GoDaddy backorder update. Ok. I forgot to mention this.

If the domain is regged at GoDaddy (or Wild West Domains or BlueRazor), and you backorder it at GoDaddy, then, if the domain drops, the domain is transferred to GoDaddy's auction house, TDNAM, and your backorder is placed as the first bid on the domain.

If the domain isn't registered at GoDaddy, then you win the domain outright if GoDaddy capture it. However, nobody should be backordering a domain at GoDaddy which isn't registered there, unless they want to run the gauntlet of losing it to dropcatchers and domain tasters. You get last dips.

OK. What should your GoDaddy backorder strategy be? If it's regged at GoDaddy, then don't backorder it at GoDaddy. Just wait for it to appear on TDNAM some 12-17 days after expiry. Then use whatever strategy you use at auctions. If it's not registered at GoDaddy, then don't backorder it at GoDaddy. Follow the previous instructions and backorder it at SnapNames/Pool/ClubDrop.

I just come across this awesome list of which registrars partner with which dropcatchers... http://www.whois-search.com/deleting/who.php

I came across this in another forum. It's from the Office of the President at GoDaddy and is therefore more authoritative than my statements. It deals with backordering and auction timing, and deletion.

On the expiration date we attempt to renew if the auto-renew is enabled.
    We attempt 2 more renewals, on the 5th and 12th day
    The name is parked on day 5 to alert the customer
    On day 12 if the renewal has not been processed, the name goes into a 30
    day redemption period. The name can be renewed at the regular rate up
    until the end of day 18.
    On day 19 the renewal would also incur the $80.00 redemption fee.
    On day 26 the name enters the expired domains auction where it remains
    until day 36.
    If there are no bids the name goes into the fire sale auction on day 37
    where it remains until day 42.
    On day 43:
    If there is an auction winner the name is awarded to them.
    If there is no auction winner, the name goes to a backorder in our
    system should one exist.
    If there is neither an auction winner or a backorder, the name drops to
    the registry for 30 days plus deletion.
    Of course, as per our legal agreements these terms are subject to change
    at any time.
    This statement is silent as to whether $10 of the backorder is placed as the first bid on the domain or not. I confirmed with GoDaddy that yes, if you place a backorder on a domain before the action starts, then $10 will be placed the first bid. If you backorder the domain after the auction starts, then your backorder will be held until the end of the regular auction and provided it's not purchased in the regular auction, the backorder will be successful before the start of the fire sale ($5 buy it now).

All GoDaddy, Blue Razor, WildWestDomains registered domains go through the same process. They all end up on TDNAM auction. So best strategy is don't backorder these domains. Wait for them to appear on TDNAM and snipe them in the last few minutes of the auction.
    Last edited by stub; 09-20-2007 at 07:48 PM.

stu2, you're the man! Thanks for the wisdom

Would just like to share a horrible experience.

I wanted to register an expired domain, lets just call it expireddomain.com

- expireddomain.com status is "Pending Delete"
    - Registrar is Godaddy.
    - after 5 day lapse of Pending Delete status it immediately got "snapped"

- I don't understand, how can this happen? I kept doing a whois to know if the domain is dropped. Then after 5 minutes it was already under snapnames. There was no dns propagation that happened. I was very vigil at monitoring the domain, but still after a few minutes of checking, it was already for auction by snapnames at $79.00. For me, this is such an unfair and unethical practice.
    at your service.

Thanks. I replied to this in the Domain Name Forum thread here... http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=645473

good info. anyone know about this registrar

http://www.itsyourdomain.com

Who is the cheapest domain reg that offers backodering?
    thanks
    |||| Federico Sasson
    |||| CQdigital Internet Solutions

I can offer you cheap backordering for $1 with no guarantee of success. You shouldn't be backordering domains with ANY registrar. You should use the backordering services of NameJet/SnapNames/Pool depending on where it's presently registered.

Ok. Network Solutions and eNom have joined forces and setup their own dropcatching/auction site, NameJet.com. So if a domain is registered at either of these two registrars, then you should place your backorder at NameJet.com.

Snapnames is genreally one of the best at catching domains but you will pay a lot.. Snapnames auctions tend to go to insane heights.

It's called the marketplace of supply and demand Economics 101

I'd like to just summarize in general, where you should be placing your backorders today.

GoDaddy/WildWestDomains/BlueRazor > TDNAM
    NetworkSolutions/eNom > NameJet
    All Others > SnapNames/Namejet/Pool*

* Each of these dropcatchers have some exclusive arrangements with various registrars. There is an oldish list here.. http://www.whois-search.com/deleting/who.php It might not have been updated for a while, but it'll give you an indication of where to use. Actually you should bid at all 3 to cover your bets. These 3 capture the overwhelming majority of dropping domains. So if one of them captures the domain you'll be in with a chance to win it.

Network Solutions / NameJet backorder update.

I've mentioned that all Network Solutions expired domains now go to NameJet auctions. I've now calculated the timeframe from expiry to end of Pending Delete Auction. It's not surprisingly 72 days. Then a 3 day auction. Then drop/win at the end of 75 days.

Afternic becomes TuCows exclusive expiry auction partner

June 12, 2008 — NameMedia announced its award winning AfternicDLS marketplace has been selected as the exclusive expiry auction partner by leading Internet registrar Tucows.
    Effective immediately, thousands of daily expired domains from Tucows are automatically available for auction on Afternic. The estimated addition of 100,000 premium domains each month to AfternicDLS inventory will further enhance the selection of domain options for Afternic members. Afternic DLS currently offers millions of premium domains for sale to a global audience of buyers and sellers and enjoys the highest domain sales market share in the industry.

Tucows,one of the top five registrars in the world, joins an expanding list of top-tier registrars who are selecting Afternic as their exclusive auction platform for expiry domains.

NameMedia's Marketplace senior vice president and general manager Pete Lamson said, "AfternicDLS's mission is to create a one stop destination for domain buyers, sellers and owners. We are thrilled to have the addition of Tucows' expired domain names as is a significant step in helping us achieve this goal due to the high quality and volume of their expiring names."

"This was an easy decision to make. NameMedia's domain marketplace has established itself as the industry's leading venue for the sale of premium domains," says Bill Sweetman, General Manager, Tucows Domain Portfolio "NameMedia brings to the table a wealth of domain sales experience, a global SMB targeted customer base, personalized customer service and a track record of proven success".

AfternicDLS members benefit from a truly global domain marketplace along with a full service auction platform featuring DNescrow ™ and the industry's most experienced team of domain consultants.

Auction names now available include: OceanFit.com, PlayGolf.com, QuikPrep.com, UFO.net, and VIPBag.com, and many more ....

See more!
    Best Regards,

Pete Lamson, SVP & GM

Update Expiring Domains: Registrar Preferred Auction Partners

According to WebHosting.info (http://www.webhosting.info/registrar...omains&oo=desc) as of June 2008, the top 10 registrars are listed below. I have added their current Preferred Auction Partner

24.4M - GoDaddy >>> TDNAM
    8.5M - eNom >>> NameJet
    6.7M - NetSol >>> NameJet
    6.3M - Tucows >>> Afternic
    5.0M - MelbourneIT >>> None
    4.2M - Schlund+Partner >>> None
    3.0M - WildWestDomains >>> TDNAM
    2.8M - Moniker >>> SnapNames
    2.6M - Register >>> SnapNames
    1.8M - Public Domain Registry >>> SnapNames

I have NEVER had success with backordering, does it ever work out? Or is it just a way for registrars to make $?

If you follow the advice in this thread you will be on the path to success with backordering domains. How/where do you backorder domains at the moment?

OK. An update for SnapNames.

Tucows (apparently no longer exclusively auctioned at Afternic), Register, and Moniker, all specify that their domains will go to a public auction once a bid is placed on Snapnames for Pre-Release domains. This means that even with only one bid on the domain, it will go to a public not private auction for 3 days. You don't ever win it outright because you were the only bidder.

also at Tucows, they have a tendency to renew any good domains for themselves and withdraw them from auction. so don't be surprised if you bid on a Tucows registered domain and don't ever win it. because they do that a lot.
    Last edited by stub; 04-04-2011 at 07:26 PM.

I'm sorry,
    I'm not seeing a tutorial at the link provided. freewhois.com
    There's a domain that comes due in may that I'm interested in and I talked to someone at name.com who informed me that this service was available. She told me that if the name gets re-registered by the current owner the money is refunded. I'm interested in learning more
    www.websitemagick.com "Add a little Magick to your Website"
    IwebNews.net

I never said there was a tutorial at freewhois.org. It's just a link to a whois service.

TBH, you shouldn't really be talking to anybody about backordering a domain, if you are serious about going after it.

Having said that. Where is the domain registered?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast