Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Pretty much every big-name webhost has now been bought out by EIG... Every hosting company on the "10 ten reviews" are going to be owned by EIG in like... 5 years...

We've gotten a few recent orders for reseller accounts who listed Hostgator uncertainty as a reason for the move however none of our regular hosting customers have listed this reason for moving to our platform from Hostgator as of yesterday.

I'm not going to quote/answer everyone at the moment, but we can only wait and see.

A few have mentioned their going to stay and some have left. From how EIG handled buyouts before, I would say anyone that will become a new customer in about 5-6 months from now will be "safe" and won't know the difference. You raise someone on dirty water and they will think that's how the water should be.

Anyone that's currently on HG, be very careful and do complete backups of everything. Just be prepared to either lose access to your emails, or completely lose your emails, and the same for your sites. This happened to customers when the buyouts/change-over occurred. If customers ride it out and nothing happens, call it victory for one host to survive the Borg assimilation.

and to think I wasn't going to quote. I gotta get outta here!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Collabora View Post
    Its the "regular people" that matter the most. What you, me and the others on here think is inconsequential. In the grand scheme of things we are just background noise that no one hears. Its the silence of the other 400,000 people that makes the biggest sound. (sorry if I bursted some bubbles out there)

The 2 years I referred to is memory time, dust-settling time, etc not the start of complaints. And as I recall you received those customers due to reasons that can occur with any host. Correlation does not imply cause. If it did, at that rate, you and a few others here should acquired a few tens of thousands of customers from just EIG by now

Now all we need to do is watch HintonHost misquote me

I agree, it is the regular people that matter how this will all go down, not the handful of us debating what may or may not happen.

I don't think you completely read some of my previous statements, but I also don't expect you to search through my statements for the last year.

Yes I do aquire customers when a host fails at their job, but the rate of that is occasional and can occur anytime. Right time, right place. The amount of people that really needed to leave from Bluehost and especially Netfirms was very high and sudden. Just like the host that was shut down by their provider and ran...like you said, throw candy on the floor in a room full of children and now that host is full of candy...much different than the occasional "Hi, I would like to buy hosting"

The bottom line is this. All this talk here on WHT doesn't mean squat compared to the HG billboards I see on the highway. Same goes for 1and1 and GoDaddy TV advertisements. You guys can yap yap yap but money talks.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJoker View Post
    The bottom line is this. All this talk here on WHT doesn't mean squat compared to the HG billboards I see on the highway. Same goes for 1and1 and GoDaddy TV advertisements. You guys can yap yap yap but money talks.
    Yeah, I guess we should all just give up.

Or better yet, keep at it, until the noise grows loud enough to make a difference.
    The bad hosts either get better, or everybody flees to smaller already-better hosts.
    I vote for this second option.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." ~unknown

Edmund Burke, sort of

Of course to compare this situation to events of England in latter half of 1700s is ludicrous
    Last edited by Collabora; 07-18-2012 at 06:56 PM.

It's actually not Edmund Burke.

And the phrase is very wise in pretty much any situation where some people are too cowardly to fight an unjust/unethical status quo. The only thing that's ludicrous is for an industry to idly sit by (customers and businesses alike), without so much as a whimper, as a locust eats everything in sight.

You're tilting at windmills

I grill a pretty good burger but I don't think I can compete with the 99 cent McDouble, even if my burger happens to be real meat.

I grill a pretty good burger but I don't think I can compete with the 99 cent McDouble, even if my burger happens to be real meat.
    This. All of it. Except I'd rather have a McChicken.

this news piss me and turned me off.
    EIG is a greedy company
    (bluehost,justhost and some other)

why the hell would let them aquire his hardwork? (i dont really care how much they offer me. if i was brent)

Quote Originally Posted by user45 View Post
    (i dont really care how much they offer me. if i was brent)
    And I wouldn't quit my job if I won the MegaMillions Lottery

I think EIG need offshore company to handle there support.. My experience is when ever you visit live chat for all the company they takeover, you find minimum 7 to 8 mins waiting on chat. They are only looking for quantity and not for quality.

Your average consumer has no idea who owns Hostgator, who owned Hostgator nor do they care. Hostgators sale didn't exactly make the national news except the financial papers which the general public doesn't read anyway.

Hostgator probably signs on a thousand accounts per day. for the few that have left there are 5 to replace them. Till there's a reason to start moving sites there's not much point in doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by musicman153 View Post
    Till there's a reason to start moving sites there's not much point in doing so.
    Well, some people are proactive on evaluating risks and take pre-emptive action.

Sure, if you don't have anything important to you in HG's servers, I guess there's really not much point in moving away. If you have important stuff and still decide that you're not moving away until you see problems, that's perfectly fine as well, it's up to you. The important thing I guess, is to make informed decisions. That's why I think this kind of discussions are beneficial to everyone reading. And BTW, my comment is a general statement not addressing you in particular.

Quote Originally Posted by EviLito View Post
    Well, some people
    I bet the "some people" are far outnumbered by the "most people" who don't know, nor care, who owns Hostgator. Brent who?

I used to use hostgator but the messed me over 2 times so ill never go with them again

Quote Originally Posted by EviLito View Post
    Well, some people are proactive on evaluating risks and take pre-emptive action.

Sure, if you don't have anything important to you in HG's servers, I guess there's really not much point in moving away. If you have important stuff and still decide that you're not moving away until you see problems, that's perfectly fine as well, it's up to you. The important thing I guess, is to make informed decisions. That's why I think this kind of discussions are beneficial to everyone reading. And BTW, my comment is a general statement not addressing you in particular.
    As long as data is backed up often it doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by PaullyP View Post
    I used to use hostgator but the messed me over 2 times so ill never go with them again
    What makes your experience interesting now is that if the exact same thing happened to you today most people here would blame EIG.

Quote Originally Posted by public_html View Post
    I heard that 20,000 customers already left them
    Any proof?

Quote Originally Posted by gasyoun View Post
    Any proof?
    Even if that was true, it's a very tiny portion of clients for HostGator.

I think I'd rather opt for the real burger alternative. And as there are those who buy from non-mcdonalds, there are those who buy from non-big hosts. They serve under the same market, albeit different targets. That means they're competing.

I unfortuately don't have the fortitude to go through all 5 pages currently however I don't think you can judge a book by its cover. I'd wait and see how this pans out - no one knows the contract details / the operational differences off hand. We can only speculate based off previous acquisitions however given how Brent has ran his company and how large this acquisition was I think it's best to wait.

I do not understand why one who has been a customer of an "overselling" hosting provider for years and was fine with the service despite all those ridiculous "Unlimited" offerings, should now leave only because a corporation like EIG acquired the company...? This is nonsense. It would understand anyone who is changing the web hosting provider because the service went bad. But leaving because there was a change of ownership is not a good reason.

I would argue with anyone who looks at any hosting company as a bunch of clients accounts and does not see behind the spreadsheets. Web hosting is a traditional business for many people and I like those fellow web hosts run by individuals who take personal responsibility for running the business. However this is a pretty old fashioned way to think about ownership and about business entities. At the end of the day many business owners sell if the get a good offer. Let's not blame on those who buy companies and try to create value, whoever they are.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123